The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Issues when the new Port Mann opens...

Bossy

...and all that traffic goes to the ???? patello which I take to work every morning. Which is the smallest bridge across the Fraser. Because really, who can afford an extra 120 dollars a month plus tax that's living in the valley and who work industry jobs (which most people who take the Port Mann work). Not to mention a lot of people take it to get to SFU/BCIT and what Students can afford to pay an extra 120 dollars plus tax a month.

Basically having a regular coffee at Starbucks in the morning instead of a Caramel Macciato or whatever will make up the toll fees.

People will find a way to make it work.

It might be nuts for a couple of weeks, but people will soon figure out that the toll is a bargain compared to sitting in traffic for an hour every morning on the Patullo.

Not sure, but aren't you burning more on gas in the longer patillo commute and/or the current stop n go port mann traffic?

I'm not for the toll either, but it is what it is.

Maple Ridge and Mission may see a population boom if this toll became a big enough issue. Mission and Chilliwack are already becoming the only affordable housing options for many.

Not sure, but aren't you burning more on gas in the longer patillo commute and/or the current stop n go port mann traffic?

I'm not for the toll either, but it is what it is.

Maple Ridge and Mission may see a population boom if this toll became a big enough issue. Mission and Chilliwack are already becoming the only affordable housing options for many.

My father was the main bread winner of the family and he worked and lived south of the Fraser. At a certain point his company sent him to work downtown so he had to commute. He did so as to not uproot his children from the school and friends they were accustomed to. I guess by your logic he would be a silly one. I'm sure there are many people who have been in the position my father was and choose to self-sacrifice and commute for the good of their families.

Boo hoo. Look, I'm on our side. Most people who live south of the Fraser and and drive north of it to work do so by choice, because they want a cheap house, a big yard, and they refuse to ever give up the convenience of their car. You can also blame the city planners who made the whole south of the Fraser into a giant suburban sprawl nightmare. If the only people who drove across the Fraser to work were those in positions similar to your dad's, then they wouldn't have had to even build a new tolled bridge in the first place.

Boo hoo. Look, I'm on our side. Most people who live south of the Fraser and and drive north of it to work do so by choice, because they want a cheap house, a big yard, and they refuse to ever give up the convenience of their car. You can also blame the city planners who made the whole south of the Fraser into a giant suburban sprawl nightmare. If the only people who drove across the Fraser to work were those in positions similar to your dad's, then they wouldn't have had to even build a new tolled bridge in the first place.

We can't all live north of the Fraser. I just bought a place in surrey after renting in new west and I couldn't believe the difference in costs once you move over the bridge. In my opinion, that money you save in housing costs is worth the toll alone.

I got a 1024 sqft apartment in surrey vs a 800 sqft apartment in new west for 20k less.

It all depends on what you value most. I have things in surrey I moved closer to, like my family, even though I work downtown. I purposefully moved close to a skytrain station so my wife and I still only need one car. If you value a shorter commute over an extra 200sqft for $20k MORE then that's your choice.

We can't all live north of the Fraser. I just bought a place in surrey after renting in new west and I couldn't believe the difference in costs once you move over the bridge. In my opinion, that money you save in housing costs is worth the toll alone.

I got a 1024 sqft apartment in surrey vs a 800 sqft apartment in new west for 20k less.

It all depends on what you value most. I have things in surrey I moved closer to, like my family, even though I work downtown. I purposefully moved close to a skytrain station so my wife and I still only need one car. If you value a shorter commute over an extra 200sqft for $20k MORE then that's your choice.

Archived