The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Issues when the new Port Mann opens...

Bossy

Boo hoo. Look, I'm on our side. Most people who live south of the Fraser and and drive north of it to work do so by choice, because they want a cheap house, a big yard, and they refuse to ever give up the convenience of their car. You can also blame the city planners who made the whole south of the Fraser into a giant suburban sprawl nightmare. If the only people who drove across the Fraser to work were those in positions similar to your dad's, then they wouldn't have had to even build a new tolled bridge in the first place.

White Rock is a dense community that used to do it's commuting by rail until that was shut down in the 50s. I would happily take transit to work if they provided it. The long delayed King George Bline would be more than good enough.

Instead of making an ass of yourself, maybe you should come up with suggestions. If they can't find work south of Fraser and they can't afford to live north of Fraser, what is your suggestion smart guy? The population of BC is growing and you can't fit 3 million people in Vancouver. The problem is that the city is still operating like it is the 1980's even though the population has grown by 2 folds. Also, there are so many condos in the downtown area already that it looks more like a Mexican resort rather than a business district. Not everyone can move in downtown or live in a hole smaller than my washroom with five kids. There is also no difference in driving a car or taking a transit nowadays when it costs $200 to buy a damn three zone monthly pass.

Suggestion: go back in time and hire competent city planners that actually turn the cities south of the Fraser into liveable communities, not just disastrous urban sprawl.

Barring time travel, suggestion #2: spend money on densification projects south of the Fraser to help correct the current problem, rather than a new 8-lane bridge to encourage thousands of people to drive 40 km 2x per day 5x per week to get to their jobs in a better-planned city.

I may not live south of the Fraser but I'm still breathing your pollution. I realize no one in this thread was responsible for the disastrous ways the area was planned, but still, sorry if I don't sympathize with your commuting problems.

Extend the skytrain and watch how fast proposals for new density near the stations poor in.

Heck, even in the absence of transit most of the developement I see is for townhouses or condos. Only single family homes you see are out in Langely or at least on the borders of it.

Archived