Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Issues when the new Port Mann opens...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
231 replies to this topic

#151 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,170 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

I'm sure you could find something in the first 100 or so ;)

I'll take that as bs called lol.

#152 Bossy

Bossy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

All three bridges across the Fraser are stupidly congested. The transit in the Valley is literally just the skytrain in Surrey with 4 stations. North of the Valley is nothing but old, ugly houses with small lots that look like they're in 3rd world countries or overpriced condo's. But no, we need to build the evergreen line so we can have an undersused money hole.

Sickening, I'm moving to Toronto. My cousin will easily get me a high paying job, this city is dying.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 06 September 2012 - 06:53 AM.

#153 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

Sickening, I'm moving to Toronto. My cousin will easily get me a high paying job, this city is dying.

Cya. And that bit about your cousin getting you a "high" paying job ROFL!!! suuuuuure bud whatever makes you sleep better at night

#154 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

Offensive quote removed

I understand your frustration, but that's a little much. TransLink has shown through their actions that SOTF is not a priority. It's not a about white people it's about population. But wait... Surrey has a population of 470,000 and Burnaby has 225,000. If Burnaby has 4 SkyTrain stations, shouldn't Surrey have 8? Someone will say everyone in Surrey drives. Yes... they do. Because taking bus and skytrain added 2 hours to their commute.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 06 September 2012 - 06:54 AM.

I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#155 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,170 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:44 AM

I understand your frustration, but that's a little much. TransLink has shown through their actions that SOTF is not a priority. It's not a about white people it's about population. But wait... Surrey has a population of 470,000 and Burnaby has 225,000. If Burnaby has 4 SkyTrain stations, shouldn't Surrey have 8? Someone will say everyone in Surrey drives. Yes... they do. Because taking bus and skytrain added 2 hours to their commute.

It's about density. Surrey is several times larger than Burnaby so looking at straight up population numbers doesn't really work. You have to look at overall population and density. Of course you can't just look at density or places like White Rock with high densities would appear to deserve transit...

Densities from 2011 census per sq km:

Vancouver 5,249.1
New West 4,222.2
North Van 4,073.8
Langley City 2,454.6
Burnaby 2,463.5
Surrey 1,479.9
Richmond 1,473.5
Port Moody 1,273.8
Coquitlam 1,034.0
Langley Town 338.2

So you look at pop plus density plus location plus ..... but just straight up pop doesn't really mean anything.

#156 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Inane is right here. It is about density. The population in Surrey is spread out and is growing quickly. Two reasons why there aren't more Sky Train stations in the municipality. Also I find the previous comment about white versus visible minority as a reason why Surrey doesn't have more Sky Train stations as dangerously ignorant.

Edited by hockeyfan87, 06 September 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#157 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

Inane is right here. It is about density. The population in Surrey is spread out and is growing quickly. Two reasons why there aren't more Sky Train stations in the municipality. Also I find the previous comment about white versus visible minority as a reason why Surrey doesn't have more Sky Train stations as dangerously ignorant.

Agreed. But we can all agree I think that either Surrey needs more SkyTrain stops, or the stops need to be spread out.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#158 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

Agreed. But we can all agree I think that either Surrey needs more SkyTrain stops, or the stops need to be spread out.

I've lived in Surrey for most of my life and the only two places that would seem logical to extend the Skytrain in Surrey would be to the Guildford Mall area and the Newton core near the wave pool and transit hub. Beyond those two places I don't see any other places right now where it would be needed.

To accomplish that would, I assume, costs billions of dollars in terms of the government purchasing land, demolition, and construction. A huge headache when instead they can do nothing and force people in Surrey who want to use the Skytrain to get themselves to the two Whalley stations.

#159 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,170 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

I've lived in Surrey for most of my life and the only two places that would seem logical to extend the Skytrain in Surrey would be to the Guildford Mall area and the Newton core near the wave pool and transit hub. Beyond those two places I don't see any other places right now where it would be needed.

To accomplish that would, I assume, costs billions of dollars in terms of the government purchasing land, demolition, and construction. A huge headache when instead they can do nothing and force people in Surrey who want to use the Skytrain to get themselves to the two Whalley stations.

It's not that big a deal. There are plans to run rapid transit (not sure if it's skytrain, LRT or rapid bus) down 104th to Guildford, KGB to Newton Town Centre and Fraser Hwy to Langley. It's all here:

http://www.surrey.ca...ices/10797.aspx

and translinks report will be here:

http://www.translink...pidtransitstudy

There is a report from Translink coming out Sept 17th that's supposed to show how they will pay for the rapid bus on the Port Mann plus these long promised projects in Surrey. As Ron is want to say, it's all talk for now...but there aren't any big expropriations or anything like that required--the transit would be in existing right of ways and City land.

#160 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

Sure Surrey could have done better when it comes to urban density, but the Expo, Millennium, and Canada Lines have proven density will come once they are built.

Posted Image

#161 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,170 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

Sure Surrey could have done better when it comes to urban density, but the Expo, Millennium, and Canada Lines have proven density will come once they are built.

Yes and no. Certainly some stations have been built up like crazy, but there are many that haven't. Whereas you have some places that density has built up expecting rapid transit, and no transit has come. It's a chicken/egg thing that boils down to philosophy. Build it and they will come, or come and they will build it. The current philosophy at translink is come and we will build it. But in places like Surrey, I would argue build it and they will come is a better philosophy in terms of long range planning.

#162 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

If by 4 stops in Burnaby.... you actually mean 11.... then you would be right.

As there is 11 skytrain stops in Burnaby. (Expo and Millennium lines combined
Posted Image

#163 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

Oh ya. I was referring to just Expo.

Posted Image

#164 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

I'll take that as bs called lol.

For the love of Gordie you obstuse, lazy...

Took 30 seconds to find three articles noting two separate meetings in the last ~1/2 year:

http://runnermag.ca/...s-transit-woes/

http://www.langleyti...tml?mobile=true

http://www.delta-opt...4232/story.html

Seems like they're having regular meetings about it to me.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#165 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,170 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

For the love of Gordie you obstuse, lazy...

Took 30 seconds to find three articles noting two separate meetings in the last ~1/2 year:

http://runnermag.ca/...s-transit-woes/

http://www.langleyti...tml?mobile=true

http://www.delta-opt...4232/story.html

Seems like they're having regular meetings about it to me.

Obstuse?

One (maybe two) meetings about how to get more transit isn't exactly regular meeting about how to withdraw from Metro Vancouver/Translink (which was the original claim lest we forget). This would be a lot simpler if you just admit you...exaggerated for effect.

#166 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

By my math and based on the population density numbers posted that should put Surrey at about 6.6 stations...let's round that to 7 ;) So they currently have 4 which means we could continue it down Fraser Highway to 152nd ( good access for the Guildford corridor), then say 176 (lots of land there to make a nice park and ride) and then 200th (smack dab in the middle of Langley. Poof! seven stations!
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#167 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Obstuse?

One (maybe two) meetings about how to get more transit isn't exactly regular meeting about how to withdraw from Metro Vancouver/Translink (which was the original claim lest we forget). This would be a lot simpler if you just admit you...exaggerated for effect.

Two meetings between April and June seems pretty "regular" to me...You don't think there's discussion of them leaving Translink? :lol: There were sarcastic Sun/Province articles written about just that as you pointed out earlier. They have (and likely will continue to) discussed it.

Anyway...this is a thread derail as per you usual M.O....I've given you the info I'll no longer participate in your silly tangent.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#168 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

By my math and based on the population density numbers posted that should put Surrey at about 6.6 stations...let's round that to 7 ;) So they currently have 4 which means we could continue it down Fraser Highway to 152nd ( good access for the Guildford corridor), then say 176 (lots of land there to make a nice park and ride) and then 200th (smack dab in the middle of Langley. Poof! seven stations!

We all know how much that would cost. Translink won't spend that in Surrey/Langley. We're more likely to see a SkyTrain go to Whistler. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#169 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

We all know how much that would cost. Translink won't spend that in Surrey/Langley. We're more likely to see a SkyTrain go to Whistler. :rolleyes:

Oh I have no delusions it will actually happen!!

Regardless, other than perhaps getting a smattering of cars off the same road as me it wouldn't help my commute anyway. Transit going from Delta to Richmond is an even bigger joke.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#170 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,170 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

Two meetings between April and June seems pretty "regular" to me...You don't think there's discussion of them leaving Translink? :lol: There were sarcastic Sun/Province articles written about just that as you pointed out earlier. They have (and likely will continue to) discussed it.

Anyway...this is a thread derail as per you usual M.O....I've given you the info I'll no longer participate in your silly tangent.

Two meetings ever doesn't seem very regular. But regardless, it's fun to chatter about it. If you had simply given evidence for your claim in the first place this would have all been avoided. I'm not sure if and where you went to school, but typically when one makes a statement as fact, one has to back it up. Or maybe you're rocking the Republican mantra of it just 'feels' right lol.

Also, a station at 176th? That makes no sense whatsoever.

#171 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Actually the Millenium Line hasn't shown that at all, it's such a waste of a line. And the Canada Line route was already running through a fairly dense corridor in the most dense city in the lower mainland.

I actually support extending Skytrain in Surrey but I'm not sure if it'll work. I think cheap property rates will always trump living close to transit for those south of the Fraser, especially for the majority residents who are so damn attached to their cars.

#172 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Actually the Millenium Line hasn't shown that at all, it's such a waste of a line. And the Canada Line route was already running through a fairly dense corridor in the most dense city in the lower mainland.

I actually support extending Skytrain in Surrey but I'm not sure if it'll work. I think cheap property rates will always trump living close to transit for those south of the Fraser, especially for the majority residents who are so damn attached to their cars.

As someone who relys on the Millenium Line... I can say it is not a waste.
Posted Image

#173 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,137 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Love this idea.

Would be much easier to go shred some pow.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#174 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Love this idea.

I said that as a joke but if TransLink ever announced it, I can't say I'd be surprised.

Posted Image

#175 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

Love this idea.

Can't see them justifying it anytime soon due to the sea-to-sky upgrades.

But it now takes me 90 minutes from my door in Port Coquitlam to base 2 parking lot on Blackcomb during the winter.................... so can't really complain.
Posted Image

#176 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,137 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Can't see them justifying it anytime soon due to the sea-to-sky upgrades.

But it now takes me 90 minutes from my door in Port Coquitlam to base 2 parking lot on Blackcomb during the winter.................... so can't really complain.

True, plus I love the drive up.

Whatever happened to that train line that goes up on the sea to sky?

Edited by Armada, 06 September 2012 - 11:57 AM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#177 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

As someone who relys on the Millenium Line... I can say it is not a waste.

Haha I didn't say NOBODY rides it, but it certainly hasn't become a magnet for density. Braid, Production Way, Lake City Way, Sperling Burnaby Lake, Holdom, Gilmore... not much inspiring about the development in those areas. Lougheed and Brentwood at least have malls, but beyond that there's not much exciting there either.

A line to UBC or a line to the airport (Canada line hadn't been built yet obviously) would have been a much better decision at the time.

#178 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Haha I didn't say NOBODY rides it, but it certainly hasn't become a magnet for density. Braid, Production Way, Lake City Way, Sperling Burnaby Lake, Holdom, Gilmore... not much inspiring about the development in those areas. Lougheed and Brentwood at least have malls, but beyond that there's not much exciting there either.

A line to UBC or a line to the airport (Canada line hadn't been built yet obviously) would have been a much better decision at the time.

One of the main purposes of the Millenium line was SFU.

Which you didn't even mention.

Furthermore - it's to service all of the tri-cities, and all of North Burnaby. Without the Millenium line... I would have to take the bus all the way downtown, just to come back to Burnaby on the Expo line. But now, I am able to take the train to Braid, and then get off the skytrain where needed.
Posted Image

#179 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

What's the point? I've been living in Surrey for a while and have felt that the bus system is more than adequate. I rarely see a bus at capacity on my travels through-out surrey.

If the current system isn't reaching capacity, what's the point of running a billion dollar train?

Posted Image

#180 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

What's the point? I've been living in Surrey for a while and have felt that the bus system is more than adequate. I rarely see a bus at capacity on my travels through-out surrey.

If the current system isn't reaching capacity, what's the point of running a billion dollar train?

Funny, the odd time I've had to be down town for my job (rather than Richmond) and taken transit both the bus to and the sky train in Surrey were JAM packed. Perhaps you don't transit in any of the major corridors or at peak hours?
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.