Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

May not be worthy of a whole new topic but I'm hoping the mods pass this link onto those who matter

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 wattevr

wattevr

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:28 AM

POPULAR

I recently attended a charity event and in a silent auction I bid 175 for two 7th row Canucks tickets. I won. However, knowing the donators, and knowing the recent developments of the current negotiations I am entering a smaller but similar limbo. Do I donate my hard earned money to the new Westminster fire fighters burn fund, and not get the tickets I bid on? Do I wait until the season is resolved and donate the money then in return for thos tickets? What if there is no season? Is there no donation for this charity?

In the end my problem is trivial. Can these owners not realize that without the players there is no wager to profit from, without owners putting up big dollars there's no venues and games. The only losers here are fans, children of fans, local charities, employees of teams not covered by the nhlpa, local eateries, bars, pubs, equipment and sports apparel shops, bclc charities, season ticket holders, Airline and hotel staff who host such events, vendors, taxi drivers, police officers who get overtime working the streets supporting their children, all 50/50 recipients on both sides of the coin, scalpers ( ok no sympathy but nonetheless an existing side business that supports livelyhoods ) beggars that thrive on the throngs of fans that show up at the arena, costco's hotdog sales, etc.

These two groups have a billion dollars to share.

Figure it out. This isnt fricking kindergarten

Walter... Why's it always gotta be about 'Nam.

F@$K it. Lets go bowling.

#2 wattevr

wattevr

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:37 AM

You know, now that I think about it there is probably a million "small" decisions like this all across north America just like this. Does your decision warrant forfeiting a million small decisions such as this? Do 30 NHL cities deserve to lose this sub network of industries that exist because of you? Is it really that difficult?

I'm on Aquilini's side as a small business owner, but I'm also on the players side as a small business owner. I get what I deserve but I also get what I earn. Theres more than enough to share. Don't screw me and the other millions beside me

#3 wattevr

wattevr

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

Ps. I want to go to a Phoenix game in January when I visit my father in law there. Maybe my pov is askewed because of this (lol) but dammit my daughter is three and now is the time to indoctrine hockey into her psyche. If you rob me of my ability to brainwash the next generation how will you exist tomorrow? How will minny pay those two contracts if my hometown of thunder bay doesn't care enough to make a road trip to see a game there? Why erase so many gains.

The NHL stock value is plummeting. As a whole. Don't sit on a bleeping spiked bleep. You'll only bleep yourself.

#4 Go Faulk Yourself

Go Faulk Yourself

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:21 AM

As nice as it would be to donate your hard earned money, you were influenced by the bid itself, so from my perspective you shouldn't give money that you worked really hard for, and you're getting nothing in return, but you expected something in the first place.

I understand it's for charity and all, but $175, unless you're made of money, or have a well enough paying income, can go along way.

As for the owners, I personally don't think they care that much about fans really, even though we bring in their profits with revenue, because in the end, they know we'll still watch, even if this NHL blackout after Sept. 15th goes on, people will revert back. It's always been the way things work in life.

EDIT: I'm sure if there is no season, and the tickets are null, they will give you tickets for next year regardless, because they will probably get them refunded for valid ones.

Edited by JustBelieve, 02 September 2012 - 02:26 AM.

bwtkt4j.gif

St. Louis Blues STHS GM small.png

Colorado Avalanche EHL GM small.png

#5 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

The simplest solution is usually the right one: Shut up and play hockey.
"If I claim to be a wise man it surely means that I don't know..."

#6 40DollarOnion

40DollarOnion

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

Reminds me of when I lived in Ottawa in 2002, I got 2 free tickets to Game 5 vs Toronto in the playoffs, Toronto swept Ottawa in 4 games (I know right, Toronto winning games, what???), I brought it up with the place that gave me the tickets, and they gave me two tickets to a different game the following season. Admittedly looking back on it, I feel guilty having rooted for boston in that consolation game I got to go to, but I really wanted to see Ottawa lose :P.

Point being, if you bring up your concern, I'm sure the charity will be accomodating, and probably offer tickets at a later date in the event your game doesn't happen.

#7 Linden Legend

Linden Legend

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:28 AM

I think you need to honour the donation.

I understand that you made this bid on the assumption that you were getting Canucks tickets in return, however the whole point of a silent auction is to raise money for a cause/charity.

If you simply wanted Canucks tickets, you could have easily aquired them through other avenues than a silent auction (ie. Craigslist). You obviously have the means to spend $175 on a night of entertainment, therfore, you can certainly afford to have that go to a good cause.

In my humble opinion, you should honour the donation regardless of the outcome of the CBA talks.

Edited by Linden Legend, 02 September 2012 - 03:30 AM.

"He'll play! You know he'll play! He'll play on crutches!"
"Adams shoots...SCORES!!! Greg Adams!!! Greg Adams!!!"
"They've slayed the dragon!!"

#8 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

$175 buys a lot of chocolate, just saying.

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#9 Vancity_77

Vancity_77

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

I recently attended a charity event and in a silent auction I bid 175 for two 7th row Canucks tickets. I won. However, knowing the donators, and knowing the recent developments of the current negotiations I am entering a smaller but similar limbo. Do I donate my hard earned money to the new Westminster fire fighters burn fund, and not get the tickets I bid on? Do I wait until the season is resolved and donate the money then in return for thos tickets? What if there is no season? Is there no donation for this charity?

In the end my problem is trivial. Can these owners not realize that without the players there is no wager to profit from, without owners putting up big dollars there's no venues and games. The only losers here are fans, children of fans, local charities, employees of teams not covered by the nhlpa, local eateries, bars, pubs, equipment and sports apparel shops, bclc charities, season ticket holders, Airline and hotel staff who host such events, vendors, taxi drivers, police officers who get overtime working the streets supporting their children, all 50/50 recipients on both sides of the coin, scalpers ( ok no sympathy but nonetheless an existing side business that supports livelyhoods ) beggars that thrive on the throngs of fans that show up at the arena, costco's hotdog sales, etc.

These two groups have a billion dollars to share.

Figure it out. This isnt fricking kindergarten

Too long didnt read
We are our own worst enemy!

#10 How the west was won

How the west was won

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

Just ask yourself why you bid the money?

If you do pay it you'd be an awesome person and if the thing falls through you might get tickets to another game.

If you don't pay it the charity will do just fine. Just stay away from hot stuff for a while.

To your other point, the economy that is brought in because of these games isn't lost, it's redistributed as the fans find other ways to spend their money. The other business owners know better to cater to just one event and have probably already started to sort new revenue building ventures out. In then end it would be the franchise in small markets that lose out. During the NBA lockout critics were discussing how the Raptors would lose out huge in their small market.

#11 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Too long didnt read

2 paragraphs isn't even that long... just sayin...
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#12 Beeekz

Beeekz

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Too long didnt read

2 paragraphs isn't even that long... just sayin...

just trying to get his post count up

#13 You Mad Bro?

You Mad Bro?

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

I dont see the big deal really. You bid, you won. Go to the game.

#14 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

just trying to get his post count up

me too....
honour the donation. karma and all that jazz
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#15 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

$175 for a pair of Canucks tickets? Sounds like you just paid about regular price for a night watching the Canucks, nothing charitable about that. Sounds like the burn fund is making a donation to you, as many people donate to them without receiving or expecting hockey tickets.

Talking about how the fans are the true victims of the lockout? Or how charities suffer because of the lockout? No, charities suffer because people like yourself who expect a prize for donating money, a prize that in this case is likely worth more than the donation. I also don't see how the fans can be victims when there is so much great hockey being played in Canada outside the NHL. We are up to our eyeballs in hockey, and when all else fails, can strap on some roller blades and get some ball hockey going. I want to see the NHL this season too, but quit your whining, you either love hockey or you don't. If you only care about the NHL, then you don't truly care for the sport.
Posted Image

#16 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

The entire point of these auctions/fundraisers is just that - to raise funds. The "prizes" associated with them are supposed to be a bonus, not the reason for donating. The word donate is key here.

However, you were promised something and I'd be quite surprised if you didn't receive some sort of consolation/substitute prize.

With that and if not, take comfort in the fact that you've helped a very worthwhile cause and that, in itself, should be your reward.

Posted Image

#17 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,320 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

Maybe they'll let you ride in the truck and honk the big horn like a McCaffrey brother.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#18 Nuck_in_NorCal

Nuck_in_NorCal

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

but dammit my daughter is three and now is the time to indoctrine hockey into her psyche.

I couldn't wait that long, I started mine before I was forced to pay for her seat. I've taken her to see the 'Nucks every time they're in town. ::D

#19 That Commentator

That Commentator

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

If I were you, I would just suck it up and go through with the donation. Given that it's a charity, I'm sure that in the event of a lockout rendering your tickets null and void, you will get any replacement tickets/consolation prize that may be issued. If there is no replacement, then you know what? It's certainly not the fault of the charity or the person donating the tickets.

I think there are only two real differences between this situation and what you would face if you had gone out and purchased the tickets yourself:
1. You're donating to a charity rather than paying a business.
2. You see a "way out" of possibly having paid something and gotten nothing. Taking that way out will pass the loss that you would have incurred onto the charity, which is not really fair.

Edited by That Commentator, 02 September 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#20 canIcrytoo

canIcrytoo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

the fact that you are questioning this, shows you only bid to get the tickets, not at the thought of donating to a worthy charity, your choice will prove your own character in the end.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you

Posted Image

#21 luckylager

luckylager

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Donate them bro, that's the whole point of a charity auction. You bid what you're willing to donate, if you win, you donate that prize back to the charity plus the bid. You win because it's a charity, the kid's win because you gave their charity $175 plus ( hopefully )two kids get to see a game or use the tix to raise more money.

As far as the labour dispute goes: Betman sucks, he's ruining hockey.

If he's trying to build his little fantasy of a strong American market, he's a bigger fool than we already believe him to be. Does he think that the fickle and depressed American hockey market ( and ownership ) will benefit from a lockout? They'll probably forget the game exists in a lot of the weaker markets.

Owners of teams in strong markets should be pushing for a 50-50 cba to get the season going, they already have to keep a handful of teams alive in the states, so why hurt a fragile market? Do they want to send more of their profits to crappy American teams that can't generate enough local interest to break even? If they can ditch two teams that suck profits and build two teams that will at least break even, 50-50 is better money than 55-45 even though the owners share is lower.. Betman sucks, but so do the owners for that matter.
Or, better still, lock them out and watch teams fold in 2013, we might see a team back in QC. Hamilton would support a team far better than the fine folks of Glendale, so would Regina for that matter and they'd pay more than $12 for a ticket.

But what's really sad: Living on Vancouver Island, it's cheaper for me to fly to Anaheim or Phoenix, watch a game and stay at a hotel than it is to take a ferry, watch a game and stay at a friends in Vancouver.

#22 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

Too long didnt read

Two paragraphs is too long? Your English teachers' must (have) hate(d) you.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#23 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

The OP is trying to make the point that an NHL lockout will affect hundreds of people. His tickets were an example and he deserves to be appreciated for bring up the point.

The Players have said they will continue to play after September 15th on the old contract but Bettman has leveraged his offer with a threat of a lock out. It seems the owners are backing Bettman but still, before an agreement is reached, are making extended and over value deals. I'd guess that Bettman doesn't have full support by all the owners.

I wonder, does Bettman's $7.9 million salary go on hold in the event of a lock out? Not bloody likely!

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#24 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

The OP is trying to make the point that an NHL lockout will affect hundreds of people. His tickets were an example and he deserves to be appreciated for bring up the point.

The Players have said they will continue to play after September 15th on the old contract but Bettman has leveraged his offer with a threat of a lock out. It seems the owners are backing Bettman but still, before an agreement is reached, are making extended and over value deals. I'd guess that Bettman doesn't have full support by all the owners.

I wonder, does Bettman's $7.9 million salary go on hold in the event of a lock out? Not bloody likely!

Think of all the hard work he put into the negotiations. Why would he give up his hard earned money he earned doing a job poorly? Just because he has done a terrible job doesn't mean he shouldn't be paid an exorbitant amount of money. If a construction worker showed up to a job site, destroyed the place, leaving a huge mess, and didn't even finish the job, he would deserve the full paycheck, no matter how poorly he did the job! B)
(For those with a broken sarcasm meter, this post rings high on the scale.)

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#25 Sensemaker

Sensemaker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

Everyone wants to be rich. The only way to be rich is to create value. NHL players have created value for themselves by training since a very young age. The owners have created value by either taking over family businesses, creating businesses or buying franchises with riches made from other created value.

Envie will not make anyone rich. Desire to be rich will if value is created.

Edited by Sensemaker, 02 September 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#26 tigbond

tigbond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Too long didnt read

Two paragraphs is too long? Wow, you must get awesome grades in school. If two paragraphs is too long, what's it like reading an entire book? Wait, I'd better stop writing or this might be too long to read.

#27 wattevr

wattevr

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

the fact that you are questioning this, shows you only bid to get the tickets, not at the thought of donating to a worthy charity, your choice will prove your own character in the end.

It will get the money regardless, the donation was made immediately. It turns out we know the couple who donated the tickets so no matter what happens well get a game in. It worked out well for me and the charity. I also overbid because it was a charity, nearest bid was 135, I threw up 175 to pump the price. I also pumped the price on several other items. No character check needed here.

My rant was mostly based in jack Daniels, but it still stands. There is much more at stake here than money. I wish they understood that and just negotiated in good faith instead of through media threats. Put them in a room together and lock the doors. 50% of zero is zero. 50% of a billion is a lot more.

#28 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

$175 for a pair of Canucks tickets? Sounds like you just paid about regular price for a night watching the Canucks, nothing charitable about that. Sounds like the burn fund is making a donation to you, as many people donate to them without receiving or expecting hockey tickets.

Talking about how the fans are the true victims of the lockout? Or how charities suffer because of the lockout? No, charities suffer because people like yourself who expect a prize for donating money, a prize that in this case is likely worth more than the donation. I also don't see how the fans can be victims when there is so much great hockey being played in Canada outside the NHL. We are up to our eyeballs in hockey, and when all else fails, can strap on some roller blades and get some ball hockey going. I want to see the NHL this season too, but quit your whining, you either love hockey or you don't. If you only care about the NHL, then you don't truly care for the sport.

If you don't understand how we , the fans , are victims of all this bs due to greed.. There's no help for you, great hockey outside of the NHL? Where is this great hockey televised??? That's right nowhere! Because it is not great hockey it's just kids banging the boards trying to make it to te NHL!
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#29 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:32 AM

If you don't understand how we , the fans , are victims of all this bs due to greed.. There's no help for you, great hockey outside of the NHL? Where is this great hockey televised??? That's right nowhere! Because it is not great hockey it's just kids banging the boards trying to make it to te NHL!

A little self centered there? I remember the transit strike in 2000 when there were no buses for around 9 months. Compare the effect of that to a game not being played. Far more elderly, handicapped and students depend on transit every day than you could possibly fit into Rogers Arena. Never mind the healthy that simply depend on transit to get5 to work. How about a hospital lockout/strike? Or schools? Really a hockey lockout is little more than a favorite toy being taken away for a while for the vast majority.

Get over yourselves. Life will go on without the NHL just as it did last time.
Posted Image

#30 wattevr

wattevr

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

In the news Canucks for kids announces 4.3 mill in charitable donations. This is the type of things I truly meant in comparison to my pittance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.