The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

May not be worthy of a whole new topic but I'm hoping the mods pass this link onto those who matter

wattevr

I recently attended a charity event and in a silent auction I bid 175 for two 7th row Canucks tickets. I won. However, knowing the donators, and knowing the recent developments of the current negotiations I am entering a smaller but similar limbo. Do I donate my hard earned money to the new Westminster fire fighters burn fund, and not get the tickets I bid on? Do I wait until the season is resolved and donate the money then in return for thos tickets? What if there is no season? Is there no donation for this charity?

In the end my problem is trivial. Can these owners not realize that without the players there is no wager to profit from, without owners putting up big dollars there's no venues and games. The only losers here are fans, children of fans, local charities, employees of teams not covered by the nhlpa, local eateries, bars, pubs, equipment and sports apparel shops, bclc charities, season ticket holders, Airline and hotel staff who host such events, vendors, taxi drivers, police officers who get overtime working the streets supporting their children, all 50/50 recipients on both sides of the coin, scalpers ( ok no sympathy but nonetheless an existing side business that supports livelyhoods ) beggars that thrive on the throngs of fans that show up at the arena, costco's hotdog sales, etc.

These two groups have a billion dollars to share.

Figure it out. This isnt fricking kindergarten

You know, now that I think about it there is probably a million "small" decisions like this all across north America just like this. Does your decision warrant forfeiting a million small decisions such as this? Do 30 NHL cities deserve to lose this sub network of industries that exist because of you? Is it really that difficult?

I'm on Aquilini's side as a small business owner, but I'm also on the players side as a small business owner. I get what I deserve but I also get what I earn. Theres more than enough to share. Don't screw me and the other millions beside me

Ps. I want to go to a Phoenix game in January when I visit my father in law there. Maybe my pov is askewed because of this (lol) but dammit my daughter is three and now is the time to indoctrine hockey into her psyche. If you rob me of my ability to brainwash the next generation how will you exist tomorrow? How will minny pay those two contracts if my hometown of thunder bay doesn't care enough to make a road trip to see a game there? Why erase so many gains.

The NHL stock value is plummeting. As a whole. Don't sit on a bleeping spiked bleep. You'll only bleep yourself.

As nice as it would be to donate your hard earned money, you were influenced by the bid itself, so from my perspective you shouldn't give money that you worked really hard for, and you're getting nothing in return, but you expected something in the first place.

I understand it's for charity and all, but $175, unless you're made of money, or have a well enough paying income, can go along way.

As for the owners, I personally don't think they care that much about fans really, even though we bring in their profits with revenue, because in the end, they know we'll still watch, even if this NHL blackout after Sept. 15th goes on, people will revert back. It's always been the way things work in life.

EDIT: I'm sure if there is no season, and the tickets are null, they will give you tickets for next year regardless, because they will probably get them refunded for valid ones.

Reminds me of when I lived in Ottawa in 2002, I got 2 free tickets to Game 5 vs Toronto in the playoffs, Toronto swept Ottawa in 4 games (I know right, Toronto winning games, what???), I brought it up with the place that gave me the tickets, and they gave me two tickets to a different game the following season. Admittedly looking back on it, I feel guilty having rooted for boston in that consolation game I got to go to, but I really wanted to see Ottawa lose :P.

Point being, if you bring up your concern, I'm sure the charity will be accomodating, and probably offer tickets at a later date in the event your game doesn't happen.

I think you need to honour the donation.

I understand that you made this bid on the assumption that you were getting Canucks tickets in return, however the whole point of a silent auction is to raise money for a cause/charity.

If you simply wanted Canucks tickets, you could have easily aquired them through other avenues than a silent auction (ie. Craigslist). You obviously have the means to spend $175 on a night of entertainment, therfore, you can certainly afford to have that go to a good cause.

In my humble opinion, you should honour the donation regardless of the outcome of the CBA talks.

I recently attended a charity event and in a silent auction I bid 175 for two 7th row Canucks tickets. I won. However, knowing the donators, and knowing the recent developments of the current negotiations I am entering a smaller but similar limbo. Do I donate my hard earned money to the new Westminster fire fighters burn fund, and not get the tickets I bid on? Do I wait until the season is resolved and donate the money then in return for thos tickets? What if there is no season? Is there no donation for this charity?

In the end my problem is trivial. Can these owners not realize that without the players there is no wager to profit from, without owners putting up big dollars there's no venues and games. The only losers here are fans, children of fans, local charities, employees of teams not covered by the nhlpa, local eateries, bars, pubs, equipment and sports apparel shops, bclc charities, season ticket holders, Airline and hotel staff who host such events, vendors, taxi drivers, police officers who get overtime working the streets supporting their children, all 50/50 recipients on both sides of the coin, scalpers ( ok no sympathy but nonetheless an existing side business that supports livelyhoods ) beggars that thrive on the throngs of fans that show up at the arena, costco's hotdog sales, etc.

These two groups have a billion dollars to share.

Figure it out. This isnt fricking kindergarten

Just ask yourself why you bid the money?

If you do pay it you'd be an awesome person and if the thing falls through you might get tickets to another game.

If you don't pay it the charity will do just fine. Just stay away from hot stuff for a while.

To your other point, the economy that is brought in because of these games isn't lost, it's redistributed as the fans find other ways to spend their money. The other business owners know better to cater to just one event and have probably already started to sort new revenue building ventures out. In then end it would be the franchise in small markets that lose out. During the NBA lockout critics were discussing how the Raptors would lose out huge in their small market.

$175 for a pair of Canucks tickets? Sounds like you just paid about regular price for a night watching the Canucks, nothing charitable about that. Sounds like the burn fund is making a donation to you, as many people donate to them without receiving or expecting hockey tickets.

Talking about how the fans are the true victims of the lockout? Or how charities suffer because of the lockout? No, charities suffer because people like yourself who expect a prize for donating money, a prize that in this case is likely worth more than the donation. I also don't see how the fans can be victims when there is so much great hockey being played in Canada outside the NHL. We are up to our eyeballs in hockey, and when all else fails, can strap on some roller blades and get some ball hockey going. I want to see the NHL this season too, but quit your whining, you either love hockey or you don't. If you only care about the NHL, then you don't truly care for the sport.

The entire point of these auctions/fundraisers is just that - to raise funds. The "prizes" associated with them are supposed to be a bonus, not the reason for donating. The word donate is key here.

However, you were promised something and I'd be quite surprised if you didn't receive some sort of consolation/substitute prize.

With that and if not, take comfort in the fact that you've helped a very worthwhile cause and that, in itself, should be your reward.

If I were you, I would just suck it up and go through with the donation. Given that it's a charity, I'm sure that in the event of a lockout rendering your tickets null and void, you will get any replacement tickets/consolation prize that may be issued. If there is no replacement, then you know what? It's certainly not the fault of the charity or the person donating the tickets.

I think there are only two real differences between this situation and what you would face if you had gone out and purchased the tickets yourself:

1. You're donating to a charity rather than paying a business.

2. You see a "way out" of possibly having paid something and gotten nothing. Taking that way out will pass the loss that you would have incurred onto the charity, which is not really fair.

Archived