Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmfaminoff

Labour Day 2012

Labour Day is not about having a day off, going to the beach, or having a barbecue. We must never forget the price that others have paid for us to enjoy our Labour Day off. Before government standards changed the work week, if you dared to organize a union and/or participated in a strike, under common law, your employer could have had you thrown in prison and then sued you for any damages/losses. We are beneficiaries of their struggle: I am thankful for the laws that have been put in place to help protect all workers' rights to pursue fair wages, standardized working hours, and benefits. I hope you enjoy your Labour Day today!

The media bashes unions a lot. I do understand a lot of the negatives are from heads of unions who make unrealistic demands. But the bottom line is if employers were better at taking care of employees we wouldn't need unions. The sad part is among big businesses they are getting to the point where they won't pay their employees a decent wage anymore. Greed seems to be the order of the day. The irony a lot of small business owners treat their staff far better than a lot of the bigger companies do, which is why I always like supporting small business owners.

Labour Unions are very different now than the ones that earned us these rights over 100 years ago. Watching my uncle get paid $98/hr on a holiday that he chooses to work really grinds my gears.

ahhhh...labour day, where people line up at the border to do their back to school shopping. Seattle premium outlet is not good anymore because they have figured out that a lot of Canadians shop there and therefore they have jacked up their price and they also don't have as many selections of clothing as they used to have.