10 replies to this topic

#1 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

Labour Day is not about having a day off, going to the beach, or having a barbecue. We must never forget the price that others have paid for us to enjoy our Labour Day off. Before government standards changed the work week, if you dared to organize a union and/or participated in a strike, under common law, your employer could have had you thrown in prison and then sued you for any damages/losses. We are beneficiaries of their struggle: I am thankful for the laws that have been put in place to help protect all workers' rights to pursue fair wages, standardized working hours, and benefits. I hope you enjoy your Labour Day today!

#2 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,026 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

The media bashes unions a lot. I do understand a lot of the negatives are from heads of unions who make unrealistic demands. But the bottom line is if employers were better at taking care of employees we wouldn't need unions. The sad part is among big businesses they are getting to the point where they won't pay their employees a decent wage anymore. Greed seems to be the order of the day. The irony a lot of small business owners treat their staff far better than a lot of the bigger companies do, which is why I always like supporting small business owners.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#3 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

Labour Unions are very different now than the ones that earned us these rights over 100 years ago. Watching my uncle get paid $98/hr on a holiday that he chooses to work really grinds my gears.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#4 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,500 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

Labour Day Football!
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#5 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Damn commies.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#6 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

Labor Dabor

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#7 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

ahhhh...labour day, where people line up at the border to do their back to school shopping. Seattle premium outlet is not good anymore because they have figured out that a lot of Canadians shop there and therefore they have jacked up their price and they also don't have as many selections of clothing as they used to have.

Posted Image

#8 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

Lol I worked today, fun.

#9 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Lol I worked today, fun.

Well, it is fun when you get 1.5X-2.5X your normal wage.

Posted Image

#10 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

Labor Dabor

couldn't understand a word of that. lol

thanks for making the thread OP. I never really appreciated how good our work environment was until i left canada.

i knew an older lady who worked for a hotel for 14 hours/day while only getting paid for 8. she couldn't leave because she was in her 50s and wouldn't be hired elsewhere. i knew guys who worked for swanky restaurants who routinely worked 12+ hour days but got paid on a per diem/night basis (30 pounds a day) and got shafted on tips (the restaurants kept all tips). too scared to try to unionize because people are easily replacable.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#11 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

Labour Unions are very different now than the ones that earned us these rights over 100 years ago. Watching my uncle get paid $98/hr on a holiday that he chooses to work really grinds my gears.

depending on your situation you might get paid nothing extra even if you work that day (salary) or maybe 3x or more your normal rate,
Wage inequality and uneven regulations is still the norm in this country.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.