The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymond's Upside

Jai604

Raymond's best asset is his puck possession and ability to transition the puck from defense to offense. Alot of times he looks clumsy and a little weak, but he's very effective at keeping the puck in the offensive end. This is better than having to play in the defensive end. With a full off season of training, he ll be a 40 pt wingers on the thirdline/second line.

If the cap goes down when they get a new CBA, Mason Raymond will be cut loose.

He is not a bonfide 1st or 2nd liner.

Is he good enough to bounce Higgins or Hansen from the 3rd line? I don't think so.

Would he be an effective 4th liner? No

He has speed and skill but I just don't see him as the best alternative. His cap hit is over $2M so that is not a player that you can keep on the bench waiting for someone to get injured plus he is too expensive to park in Chicago.

He is a likeable player but will do well on another team. The only way that he stays in Vancouver is if Hansen or Higgins are traded.

JMHO

Ive said it for several seasons now, He's got to move on. Likeable guy and all, nothing against him whatsoever, he just doesnt have a spot on this team anymore.. he certainly doesnt deserve any more time on the second line and I dont wish to see him on the third or fourth either.

just hope we can package him with Lu and move forward.

For years I have tried to keep my mouth shut about Raymond and hoped he would develop into a solid player, but I just don't think he has it in him to be that player to get to that next level. Of course the back injury set him back, and I wasn't expecting to much from the guy in the first month or so coming back from an injury like that. Although I did expect to see some improvement as the season went on, and I honestly didn't see any of that out of him. I think what also pissed me off the most is when he did come back in his first and 2nd games, he played extremely well, had so much jump was fighting for the puck, he didn't look like he had missed a step. Obviously a lot of it had to do with nerves and being away from the game for that long. and then being able to step on the ice in a game and play again is exciting, and we saw his speed and jump in those couple of games. Then all of a sudden it was like he got comfortable again with the team, and just decided to step back and just enjoy his role on the team and didn't feel like he was fighting for anything. Or did he show that excitement and jump like he showed in his first couple games back, and that's what pisses me off because you can see the talent he does have when he decides to use it, but he chooses to not come to play to his best game in and game out, and just looks like crap more than half the time on the ice.

I disagree. I think the whole reason that we took him to arbitration this offseason was to lower his salary, thus making him more attractive in a trade. Not sure who the hell would want him, but I am hoping someone will take the bait and take him off our hands. I would literally take ANYTHING in return for him, including one roll of hockey tape and a coupon to Cyclone Taylor's. Maybe thats a pipedream return for him. MG- please get rid of this plug.

Value of Raymond on the Canucks. Let's think this through.

When given the opportunity as a young player, he potted 25 goals and 50+ points. Impressive.

He showcased incredible speed to create space for himself and other players. He was defensively sound. He formed chemistry with Kesler which wasn't the easiest thing to do (still isn't if you think about the rotating wingers on the 2nd line).

With added attention to his game from the opposing side, he struggled to replicate his impressive break out season.

Injuries - broken fingers, hand problems, and finally broken back, really deterred his growth.

Without having a season to develop and improve on his game, he focused on rehabbing from a very serious injury.

He was given a defensive role. He backchecks hard (yes, we are all aware of the defensive gaffe he made against the kings). His speed is useful in special teams - AV uses him quite effectively on 4 on 3 especially. He is a good PK person.

Will we see him as a 50 point player again? Largely dependent on the type of minutes he's given and the improvements he makes in the offseason, but it's safe to say - unlikely.

At tad over 2M, is it worth having a guy who can be reliable defensively, good PKer and has room for improvement? Probably.

The only knock against him is that our roster is pretty loaded. If Raymond is losing his spot to the likes of Kassian, Booth, Burrows, (possibly Doan), Jensen in the future in the top 6, and HIggins, Kassian, Hansen, Pinizzotto, Weise, Volpatti etc in the bottom 6, he doesn't really belong.

His biggest contribution to this team in the last 2 years has been being the best friend with Garrison and helping the organization bring Garrison in for discount.

With all that said, and being mindful of the type of injury plagued season that the Canucks usually have had historically, I think Raymond will bring more value to the team than most people here think. If he can play good defensive minutes while scoring 40 points, yes 2M per season would be worth it. (We pay Malhotra a lot of money to TAKE FACEOFFS).

More intriguing point - if the NHL really goes through with the proposed rule change and we adopt prolonged 4 on 4 and 3 on 3 to decide games in overtime, Raymond will be a great asset to this team - mark my words.

Value of Raymond on the Canucks. Let's think this through.

When given the opportunity as a young player, he potted 25 goals and 50+ points. Impressive.

He showcased incredible speed to create space for himself and other players. He was defensively sound. He formed chemistry with Kesler which wasn't the easiest thing to do (still isn't if you think about the rotating wingers on the 2nd line).

With added attention to his game from the opposing side, he struggled to replicate his impressive break out season.

Injuries - broken fingers, hand problems, and finally broken back, really deterred his growth.

Without having a season to develop and improve on his game, he focused on rehabbing from a very serious injury.

He was given a defensive role. He backchecks hard (yes, we are all aware of the defensive gaffe he made against the kings). His speed is useful in special teams - AV uses him quite effectively on 4 on 3 especially. He is a good PK person.

Will we see him as a 50 point player again? Largely dependent on the type of minutes he's given and the improvements he makes in the offseason, but it's safe to say - unlikely.

At tad over 2M, is it worth having a guy who can be reliable defensively, good PKer and has room for improvement? Probably.

The only knock against him is that our roster is pretty loaded. If Raymond is losing his spot to the likes of Kassian, Booth, Burrows, (possibly Doan), Jensen in the future in the top 6, and HIggins, Kassian, Hansen, Pinizzotto, Weise, Volpatti etc in the bottom 6, he doesn't really belong.

His biggest contribution to this team in the last 2 years has been being the best friend with Garrison and helping the organization bring Garrison in for discount.

With all that said, and being mindful of the type of injury plagued season that the Canucks usually have had historically, I think Raymond will bring more value to the team than most people here think. If he can play good defensive minutes while scoring 40 points, yes 2M per season would be worth it. (We pay Malhotra a lot of money to TAKE FACEOFFS).

More intriguing point - if the NHL really goes through with the proposed rule change and we adopt prolonged 4 on 4 and 3 on 3 to decide games in overtime, Raymond will be a great asset to this team - mark my words.

Archived