The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poor 11-12 season was because of the lack of chemistry?

VANFAN101

A president's trophy winning season would be a pretty good season by any other teams standards, but not for the Canucks. Going from 15 wins in the playoffs down to 1 the following year, would be described as a failure. But how did it go this wrong? Somewhere down the stretch the Canucks lost there mojo, and I believed those points were: Win in Boston (I think Kesler was injured around this time too?) and the Trade Deadline. So clearly the Canucks weren't the hottest team going into the playoffs.

The Canucks skill is good enough to win 1st in the league (we can all agree surely) but i think the difference between the 10-11 season and 11-12 season was the lack of chemistry. No all you guys are probably thinking "Chemistry!? That was surely not the reason!" But the more I think about it could have been.

Lets look at the key moves for the Canucks at the beginning of the 2010-11 season

IN:

Ballard

Hamhuis

Malhotra

Torres

OUT:

O'Brien

Steve Bernier (can't think of anyone else)

Now players have the oppurtunity to get know each other before the beginning of the year and have the pre-season to work on chemistry. Mid-season not so easy

Moves during trade deadline 2010-11 season

IN:

Lapierre

Higgins

OUT:

(no one key)

So chemistry wasn't the issue as players were only added. Sure there were injuries (only major ones i can think of were Salo and Malhotra) but we had the right players to step into that role during the year.

Different story for 2011-12

Moves at the beginning of the year for 2011-12

IN:

Sturm (does he even count?)

Hodgson (i know he wasnt an aquisition but he was new on the team)

OUT:

Ehrhoff

Torres

Glass

So Kesler was injured and Hodgeson was in spot which worked fine but then a major trade happened

Booth was in and Samuelson and Sturm was out. Booth I was on a very different team in FLA so it took some getting used to in VAN.

Kesler would comeback and the centres would be pushed down one line. This was different style the Canucks were playing compared to last season. 3rd line went from being checkin/physical to more offensive.

But the Canucks would adapt to this style and would go on a tear until around late January. Kesler wasn't playing 100% but the Canucks would manage.

But then came the Trade Deadline. This really disrupted the Canucks chemistry. Mike Gillis managed to get key players at this time last year without giving up to much but this time he gave one player that changed the Canucks style

IN:

Kassian

Gragnani

Pahlson (sp?)

OUT:

Hodgson

This disrupted the Canucks style as they went from and offensive 3rd line which worked to a more defensive 3rd line with the addition of Pahlson, and Kassian was for a physical presence. And then later in the year Daniel was injured which really sunk the Canucks, and kinda put them behind the offensive 8 ball heading into the playoffs.

So this off season for Garrison, Booth and Kassian, they will have the chance to get to know each other and get to know each other better. They will also have pre-season (hopefully) to gel. And if know major moves including taking out a piece which worked well, and a change in style, the Canucks can get back to being as dominant as they were in 2011.

MG could have pbbly landed Carter for Schneider. If possible he should have done it. Sometimes you just have to go for it and make a bold move.

Carter on the Canucks instead of on the Kings would have significantly increased the chances of turning the series in our favour.

MG could have pbbly landed Carter for Schneider. If possible he should have done it. Sometimes you just have to go for it and make a bold move.

Carter on the Canucks instead of on the Kings would have significantly increased the chances of turning the series in our favour.

We ran into a hot team with a hot goalie. We played great but Kings played better. Ya the Kassian trade did work out that well but that shouldn't be the reason why we didn't get pass the first round. Daniel's injury is one of the main reason but there are other factors as well. Either way it was a disappointing season.

Archived