The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gabriel Landeskog Named Captain

Avicii

Great Honour, although if I was him I personal would reject it. A Captain at the age of 19 is too young. I think you should be playing in the NHL for at least 3 years -> and that better be an amazing 3 years for you to even get mentioned/nominated for the 'C'.

All well, he may be better in the locker room then we may think. I do hope the best for him and hopefully he'll help make the Av's a better team so the Canucks can some competition in the NW.

They named him captain for their future. They saw that he was going to be the leader of this team at some point. Better to give it to him now rather than to strip it away from whoever else they could have given it to a couple years down the road. The kid is great and shows leadership when on the ice. He directs teammates and controls the flow. Statsny and Duchene do not do this. This is not a slap in the face to Statsny. There may be reasons why he didnt get it that we dont know. Maybe he declined the offer and Landeskog was next in line. Maybe he is not a leader at all. Maybe he wants out of COL. Whatever the reason may be, Landeskog is a good choice and will be a great player and leader for the next decade or two for the Avs.

Edit: I just wish he was a Canuck for the next decade or two lol....

A lot of people here know nothing about Colorado.

Captain material, but he's 19 and isn't that incredible a player. Not sure I like this move at this point in time, but Landeskog is still a stud so it could work out. I just think it's too much pressure, they should let him develop more before throwing this at him...there's plenty of guys more experienced than him on that team who could wear the C with respect.

Eh. I agree they could have but if Lands is their long term captain, they can't put it on Stats or Duch. Otherwise, there's a controversy when they're asked to remove it, and the only times I can remember a player losing his C and staying on a team, off memory, is... Luongo, Marleau and Lecavlier, and their times haven't exactly been pleasant. You're giving it to him early, but it means never having to ask Duchene to remove it.

So what? Your saying a guy who scores more should automatically be handed the captaincy? LOL! Stats don't mean sh!t when you're picking a captain of a team but if you think it means so much, let this stat tell you how much of a captain Stastny "earned" to be: past year, 79 games played ~ 53 points, -8 rating. Landeskog: 82 games played ~ 52 points, +20 rating.  Funny how one stat can tell you so much about a players habits on the ice, especially considering they play on the same too. In your case, Horcoff should be captain of Oilers too with his -20 something rating....he's been with the team, older, and has more experience and he is a go to offensive guy on the team - give me a break.

Concluding, Landeskog is waayyyy more deserving to be captain than Stastny and to think he shouldn't cause of stats is ridiculous, thus giving you zero credibility in your argument.

Duchene and Stastny as captains?

I'd give the C to Erik Johnson or Ryan O'Reilly over those two...

Landeskog is the best choice, may as well give it to him now, rather then 2-3 years down the road. He would probably not get it for a while if Duchene had the C, as those two will be Avs for a long time.

bad idea imo. if Hejduk wanted out of it so bad, they should have gone captainless for at least a year. 19 is way too young for someone who isn't a Crosby or Yzerman. even Crosby getting the captainship so fast I wasn't a big fan of. players should have played 3+ years in the league before becoming a captain

You clearly have no idea what I know and don't know.

You're clearly a fan-boy who thinks that hearing a 19 year old speak in interviews and play 1 season as an NHL player is sufficient to leading a professional sports franchise. You don't have a clue about what I actually think about him as a young man or a young player.

Go back to class, recess was over awhile ago.

No, i'm saying that a player who has shown more consistency in his production than any other Avalanche player in the last 5 years and therefore one of the key leaders on the ice, is worthy of being captain, as he's not only a point producer but also is an experienced veteran....the type of player that best leads.....in comparison to a player entering his sophomore year, who only has one year under his belt, and is untested as a leader at the NHL level.

So stats don't mean $h!t, yet you try to make an argument using stats?? Allow me to quote you...."LOL".

And wtf are you talking about?? Shawn Horcoff IS the captain of the Oilers. :picard:

Archived