The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gabriel Landeskog Named Captain

Avicii

Duchene and Stastny as captains?

I'd give the C to Erik Johnson or Ryan O'Reilly over those two...

Landeskog is the best choice, may as well give it to him now, rather then 2-3 years down the road. He would probably not get it for a while if Duchene had the C, as those two will be Avs for a long time.

Landeskog is an amazing player. I'm happy to have him as a keeper in my hockey pool. I had NHL center ice last year and watched many of his games. Even when Malkin stick handled between his legs and scored.

All of that being said I don't think a 19 year old is ever ready to be captain of a NHL team no matter how much skill and talent they possess. People pointing to Linden as an example of a success suffer from confirmation bias. How well did Lecavalier do as a 19 year old captain in 2000?

I'm not saying he will or won't be a successful captain I just don't believe giving him that responsibility at the age of 19 is a smart thing to do. He's still adjusting to being a NHL player. He hasn't even played in every city on the road yet.

I'm 25 years old and I"m sure if I asked the 19 year old me whether or not it was a good idea I'd be singing a completely different tune. The fact is age and experience do matter. It's why the Islanders still beat the Oilers for the Cup in the early 80s even when the Oilers possessed superior skill. Gretzky said so himself.

I'm sure the Avalanche organization considered all the ramifications though and thought this was the best move. Maybe they have different considerations that we aren't aware of.

Landeskog is an amazing player. I'm happy to have him as a keeper in my hockey pool. I had NHL center ice last year and watched many of his games. Even when Malkin stick handled between his legs and scored.

All of that being said I don't think a 19 year old is ever ready to be captain of a NHL team no matter how much skill and talent they possess. People pointing to Linden as an example of a success suffer from confirmation bias. How well did Lecavalier do as a 19 year old captain in 2000?

I'm not saying he will or won't be a successful captain I just don't believe giving him that responsibility at the age of 19 is a smart thing to do. He's still adjusting to being a NHL player. He hasn't even played in every city on the road yet.

I'm 25 years old and I"m sure if I asked the 19 year old me whether or not it was a good idea I'd be singing a completely different tune. The fact is age and experience do matter. It's why the Islanders still beat the Oilers for the Cup in the early 80s even when the Oilers possessed superior skill. Gretzky said so himself.

I'm sure the Avalanche organization considered all the ramifications though and thought this was the best move. Maybe they have different considerations that we aren't aware of.

• 1 month later...

Statsny should have been captain. He's after all their best player, mentored by Sakic himself- I'm actually surprised that Hejduck, instead of Stats took over from Foote.

Well Landeskog will eventually be a force with the team. No secret Colorado was sold on him.

Unlike a lot of people, I find this to be a terrific move by the Avs. They have a youth movement going, so their next captain was going to be someone young.

Looking back, the Hawks could have made Toews captain in his rookie season and it wouldn't have changed anything. Some players just have "it." An old university friend of mine was able to formally interview and informally hang out with a large percentage of the players at the awards this last year. Among a few of the standouts, he mentioned afterwards that he would not be surprised if Landeskog was named the future captain of the team in the next year or so. 2 months later, look what happened.

Captain material, but he's 19 and isn't that incredible a player. Not sure I like this move at this point in time, but Landeskog is still a stud so it could work out. I just think it's too much pressure, they should let him develop more before throwing this at him...there's plenty of guys more experienced than him on that team who could wear the C with respect.

Archived