The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Windows XP computer won't shut down

uber_pwnzor

Hey

A friend of mine has got a problem; her Windows XP computer won't shut down, nothing happenes when she tries to shut it down.

I've googled this a bit, but can't find anything about this specific problem.

Does anyone know what this might be, and what the solution could be?

Edit: I know that you can take the battery out, hit the computer with a baseball bat or hold down the power button, but I'm kinda looking for something to make this go away.

Second edit: and no, witching OS is not an option.

Third edit: it's a problem that keeps coming back.

People are still using Windows XP? Amazing since it is 10+ years old. Anyone use DOS?

Anyway, when my computer freezes like that I just unplug the cord, wait a minute, plug it back it and power it on again and it reboots. It may come with a screen that says windows stop unexpectedly and it will give a range of options. Just follow instructions.

People are still using Windows XP? Amazing since it is 10+ years old. Anyone use DOS?

Anyway, when my computer freezes like that I just unplug the cord, wait a minute, plug it back it and power it on again and it reboots. It may come with a screen that says windows stop unexpectedly and it will give a range of options. Just follow instructions.

Seriously, the only practical solution besides buying a new computer or OS is to restore the computer to a previous time and see if the problem goes away. If not, you have to reintall Windows XP. After time the OS gets bloated and filled with junk. You need a clean install.

I still use XP. I've never used 7 so I can't really comment but Vista was s**t. Probably going to upgrade to 8 as long as there are no major complaints as MS recently announced that they will be ending support for XP in 2014.

Archived