55 replies to this topic

#31 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,330 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

Couldn't you turn on the task manager after you did the shutdown command to see what's still up and running? That might give a hint as to what is doing that.

Of course, don't understand what's so wrong about simply holding down the power button to turn it off.

Well, if you hold the power button down longer than 5 seconds -the HW BIOS takes over and shuts the computer down - still doesn't fix the issue. No different (as far as the OS goes) than yanking the power cord or flicking the switch on the power supply.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#32 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,658 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

'System Restore' has cleared up the odd problem for me as well.
Posted Image

#33 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

What do you mean, "you people"?

Posted Image

Nice.

Posted Image

OP, I would suggest something simple like going into Task Manager and trying to close any programs that may be causing the issue. Or, reboot in safe mode and then shutting down from there to see if you can, or simply holding the On/Off switch down till the computer shutsdown(like 5-10 seconds normally)

There are other good suggestion above, but go rule out the simply fixes first before moving onto more drastic ones.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#34 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

But I suggest buying an external USB harddrive like I did. I store everything on there and unplug it and do a full re-format of my computer every 4-6 months. Keeps everything running smoothly and every one of my files is portable too. Only thing I hate is Windows Update after the re-format.

Even better, buy/build a NAS that can serve multiple computers at the same time ;)

As for the OP, try the Safe Mode boot and scan as suggested, system restore and failing those...backup anything you want and format it.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#35 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,788 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

I still use XP. I've never used 7 so I can't really comment but Vista was s**t. Probably going to upgrade to 8 as long as there are no major complaints as MS recently announced that they will be ending support for XP in 2014.

I've been running Vista on my laptop for 4 years and I have no problems with it whatsoever. I kinda like it better than Windows 7 (but to be fair, I haven't had enough time to get acquainted with Windows 7).

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#36 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

Posted Image

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#37 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

just run another microsoft program with it so it crashes itself.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#38 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

I've been running Vista on my laptop for 4 years and I have no problems with it whatsoever. I kinda like it better than Windows 7 (but to be fair, I haven't had enough time to get acquainted with Windows 7).

Vista is horrible. Worst version of Windows in a while, since ME, lol.

7 is better than Vista, but still not as optimized and fast as XP, and never will be.

RIP LB RR PD

#39 JeremyW

JeremyW

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

People are still using Windows XP? Amazing since it is 10+ years old. Anyone use DOS?

Anyway, when my computer freezes like that I just unplug the cord, wait a minute, plug it back it and power it on again and it reboots. It may come with a screen that says windows stop unexpectedly and it will give a range of options. Just follow instructions.

Nothing wrong with MS building a sustainable operating system.

I wish Windows would stop putting out new crappy operating systems and focus on making just one good one.

Windows XP has lasted 12 years, and its still going. It isn't something I would call crap. Granted, it isn't fair to compare a 12 year old kernel to something on a Mac or the latest linux.

Windows 8 introduces a new windows interface, but you can always switch back to the old one.

#40 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

Do people not reformat every 3-4 months?

You should......

Have different hard drives, or partition your drives properly. You should have your OS on its own drive, dedicated only to the OS, and nothing else on it. Your system will run more smoothly, and it's a lot easier to reformat.

^ This is good advice.

Maintenance on a computer is necessary, and part of maintenance is either a clean reformat and reinstall, or using a recovery partition/ghost disc. I've had to help people with shutdown problems in Windows 7 and Vista, and this problem dates all the way back to when I used Windows 3.1 -- I don't see it disappearing. Switching OS's won't do s***, as I said these problems persist on the newer ones as well.

Even though my wife uses 7 and Vista on her desktop and laptops I made sure my computers all are using XP. I don't have these problems. Telling him to move to a new OS doesn't help, especially crappy ones.

The reformat/recovery/ghost option should generally be used according to how much movement you do on the OS partition like installing/uninstalling programs. Less movement = wait perhaps a year or two, more movement = every 3-6 months.

Nothing wrong with MS building a sustainable operating system.

Windows XP has lasted 12 years, and its still going. It isn't something I would call crap. Granted, it isn't fair to compare a 12 year old kernel to something on a Mac or the latest linux.

Windows 8 introduces a new windows interface, but you can always switch back to the old one.

There's a reason so many software developers (including games) aren't yet completely dumping DX9c compatibility.

So many low budget netbooks were continuing to be sold using XP well past the date Microsoft tried to end XP, because budget computers like this with lesser specs and Windows Vista/7 doesn't make all that much sense.

Chances are high that when I'm going to build a new machine I just go back to using Kubuntu and emulating Windows. The only reason I'm not dual booting Kubuntu on desktop right now is that I built this machine in 2007, while it works perfectly fine it has one of those Jmicron IDE/PATA/SATA multi-faceted controllers that Linux developers have fits with, and I already spend so much time fixing other people's computers, so I don't have the time to dedicate to tweaking drivers.

Edited by zaibatsu, 05 September 2012 - 05:30 AM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#41 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

I always see people with all these computer problems, but if they would just partition their drives or have a separate drive for their OS altogether, all of those problems would disappear with a quick re-install. All your documents and whatever else remain untouched while your system will again perform like new.

I run nothing but Windows on my 128gb SSD, and reformatting is a breeze. I really don't understand why people don't do it, aside from just not knowing how. It's quick and easy and takes no time at all.

Good PC maintenance will have your rig last longer and run much better. Just make sure to clean out the dust bunnies every now and then, and reformat periodically.

Anyone building a new PC or looking to buy a new PC, I would heavily recommend getting an SSD, they are incredible.

Edited by Jai604, 05 September 2012 - 06:36 AM.

RIP LB RR PD

#42 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Windows 7 is better than XP in every way. The people in this thread saying otherwise are clueless.

And yes, Windows 8 is even faster:

Edited by -Goose-, 05 September 2012 - 08:38 AM.

Posted Image

#43 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

I am not very knowledgable with computers, so bear with me...

But if you reformat your desktop/laptop, would that not mean you'd have to re-install all your programs onto that computer?

#44 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,975 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Windows 7 is better than XP in every way. The people in this thread saying otherwise are clueless.

And yes, Windows 8 is even faster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc_PXEpq5ic

Obviously. You can't compare the two but to their respective times and dates when released Windows XP has been the best OS.

Windows 7 is great and all but you can't help think its been easily glorified over that awful Vista OS.

Edited by Armada, 05 September 2012 - 09:12 AM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#45 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

I wish Windows would stop putting out new crappy operating systems and focus on making just one good one.

Windows 8 works really good. Boot time is really fast, and it has an integrated start up page that I like. I have been using it for four months, and I have never had a problem with a crash or freeze up on here.

Edited by jmfaminoff, 05 September 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#46 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

http://gdgt.com/microsoft/windows/7/

Posted Image

#47 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

And the fanboys come out. :lol:

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#48 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

I am not very knowledgable with computers, so bear with me...

But if you reformat your desktop/laptop, would that not mean you'd have to re-install all your programs onto that computer?

Short answer, yes.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#49 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

And the fanboys come out. :lol:

:huh: I miss something...?

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#50 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

:huh: I miss something...?

The post above the one you quoted, and that person's previous posts?

Edited by zaibatsu, 05 September 2012 - 10:06 AM.

-- Jeff Ross

#51 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

I must still be missing something... Perhaps draw me something in crayon?

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#52 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

How is that being a fanboy? Windows 7 is universally accepted as the best Windows operating system yet.

Posted Image

#53 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

How is that being a fanboy? Windows 7 is universally accepted as the best Windows operating system yet.

".. universally accepted"

".. better in every way"

".. everyone else is clueless"

Fanboy dramatics about computer software.

The playing dumb part was good though.

Edited by zaibatsu, 05 September 2012 - 10:25 AM.

-- Jeff Ross

#54 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

Should've have said widely, but my point is that critics, business, home users and in general most end-users have concluded that this is the best Windows yet.

".. better in every way"

It is better than XP in every way. Unless you expect it to run on a machine from 2003 pre-Vista driver model, there's no reason to use Windows XP over 7

I did not say that.

Posted Image

#55 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

".. better in every way"

Fanboy dramatics about computer software.

The playing dumb part was good though.

Posted Image

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#56 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

Posted Image

Well put Sharp... Zaibatsu, I think you may have "mirage'd" whatever it is you think you saw. Maybe have a seat out of the sun and have a tall glass of water?

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.