The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How big is your..

Mainly Mattias

I used a house as an example of a good investment. All I know is with the way the economy has gone since I've been old enough to pay attention, a house is a good investment.

I haven't read the studies you've read so obviously I can't really debate it with you.

I'll read up on it for sure, though.

zero debt

-never got a credit card

-started earning and saving when I was 15

-left the province to go where the best opportunities were (after 94 playoff defeat)

-never buy a brand new car,and never lease.... just get one thats a year old from the states(so cheap compared to here) I have never lost any money on a car ever in my life(owned about 10), I actually end up making a profit sometimes if i sell the car after a year or so

-real estate is your friend

-not here in Vancouver anymore but go to Saskatchewan that place is booming like Alberta

Half a million. It sounds preposterous but it doesn't keep me up at night. I think this thread shows that CDC isn't very representative of Canadians at all. People who have kids, ambition, and other responsibilities tend to incur debt one way or another. They are also people who can't afford the luxury to spend time cruising online forums like us. I think Debb's post was spot on.

Half a million. It sounds preposterous but it doesn't keep me up at night. I think this thread shows that CDC isn't very representative of Canadians at all. People who have kids, ambition, and other responsibilities tend to incur debt one way or another. They are also people who can't afford the luxury to spend time cruising online forums like us. I think Debb's post was spot on.

And there are those without debt who are ambitious and responsible. In fact the most ambitious and responsible are the ones that put there saving into investment in their teen years and were able to buy houses etc without incurring debt.

Just upwards of 30k, all student debt. Working two jobs, but life is bloody expensive so I'm able to tread water, but not much else.

And yes, I often have stress/anxiety and trouble sleeping because of it.

The person from the article certainly does not represent me or my situation. I will not dig a hole because of Christmas and vehicles for other people, that seems absurd. I did invest in an education and, as a recent graduate, I just have to remind myself that it's a long-term plan.

So, you're saying that a teen who put efforts into charities and volunteering wasn't the most ambitious?

Or one who cared for a sick/debilitated family member, or helped with siblings due to such circumstances, was not the most responsible?

Or one that put in the hard work, effort, and huge tuitions to complete their doctorate and be a neurosurgeon, wasn't the most ambitious or responsible because he had to incur debt to complete it?

...I have a brother-in-law who is insanely ambitious and responsible. He has been working his butt off since a teenager, hoping to be in a position to retire comfortably (multi-millionaire) by the age of 45. At times, his ventures incurred a lot of debt. He almost had to declare bankruptcy twice. But here he is, not even 40 yet, and well ahead of schedule.

So, trying to pigeon-hole a person as ambitious or successful based on debt level is pretty short-sighted. In fact, I would think the MOST ambitious people would be taking advantage of record-low interest rates to maximize their success.

Archived