The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Jersey's Ranked 17th among teams

Chris_Higgins20

I don't get why people like the Skate jerseys.. it's by far one of the ugliest jerseys the Canucks have ever had. I much prefer the blue and green, and the orca. It's so much more West Coast. I'd put the orca ahead of the blue and green stick in rink one, too. The stick in rink is just too plain.

http://www.vancitybu...power-rankings/

Free Willy, the beloved Orca whale that is on our teams jersey, was ranked the 17th best jersey in the NHL. The number one spot went to the Montreal Canadiens and rightfully so. It’s clean, crisp and has history and tradition behind it. On the other hand, our logo and uniforms seems to go through an identity crisis every five years. There is even talk of bringing in the Vancouver Millionaires jersey as a future third jersey.

Free Willy! The problem here isn’t the Orca logo, which has actually developed a little bit of gravitas after 15 years (can you believe it’s been that long?). The problem is the city name, which doesn’t belong on the jersey and needs to go.

The top NHL jersey’s according to ESPN:

• Montreal Canadiens

• Boston Bruins

• New York Rangers

• Detroit Redwings

• Philadelphia Flyers

• Toronto Maple Leafs

• Pittsburgh Penguins

• Minnesota Wild

• Columbus Blue Jackets

• New Jersey Devils

With that being said, what would you do to modify our jersey's?

Who would be your top 10?

Sorry, but, the Wild jerseys are hideous mostly because of the color combination. It looks like a faded, old-fashioned Santa costume.

And the Bruins logo makes no sense. A spoked wheel with a B in it? What the heck does that have to do with a bear?

The Columbus Blue Jackets logo looks like it was peeled off the poster of a US political campaign. It's nice, but, has no context.

The LA Kings should be on that list. Their black-and-white jerseys and logo are very cool, sleek and modern, and Jonathan Swift's goalie mask last season was bad-ass.

Canucks jerseys have improved a LOT since those hideous Halloween colors they started with. The blue and green are much nicer and the orca logo perfectly suits Vancouver and its First Nations heritage. The simpler C logo with the hockey stick is clever, but, was visually confusing to a lot of people who compared it to a TV screen. I love the Johnny Canuck image and would love to see them use that on a 3rd jersey more prominently.

That ESPN list seems to favor the older clubs and was obviously created by someone who has little fashion sense or an eye for design.

Not that I particularly care about lists such as these, but, anyone who would rate Columbus or Minnesota's jerseys in the top 10 is high, or stupid, or both. Those have to be the two of the ugliest jerseys in the league, along with Carolina and Nashville. And I hate Chicago, but, their jerseys are way better than the aforementioned.

I don't get why people like the Skate jerseys.. it's by far one of the ugliest jerseys the Canucks have ever had. I much prefer the blue and green, and the orca. It's so much more West Coast. I'd put the orca ahead of the blue and green stick in rink one, too. The stick in rink is just too plain.

I think the Minnesota logo is clever, but I've never liked the overall look of the sweater, especially the green ones. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if it had some snow-capped accents. I don't know.

1. Montreal

2. Chicago

3. Boston

It's hard to separate the love for the sweater from the nostalgia of the great players who have worn it. If the 80s Oilers had never been champs, I'd probably have them at the bottom, but instead they're probably #10 or so for me.

Vancouver is middle of the pack. I'm glad they finally ditched the red striping (late 90s stuff). The roads are a little dull, because all you notice is the terrible 'Vancouver' wording and the corporate logo.

On a related note, my team is debuting brand new sweaters tonight. I think they are awesome. B)

brewdogsweater.jpg

Archived