Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Christian Doctor Chemically Castrated Boy As Part Of 'Gay Cure'.

• Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

#1 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Doctor banned for prescribing 'gay cure' to teen

An Australian doctor and member of a conservative Christian sect has been banned from practicing medicine after he prescribed a teenager a chemical castration drug to be used as a "gay cure."

Dr. Mark Craddock of Sydney, who is also a member of the Exclusive Brethren Christian Fellowship sect, prescribed an 18-year-old man who was also part of the sect with the drug after he came out as gay, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

In a letter to the NSW Health Care Complaints Commission, the unnamed man, who is now 24, said that when he came out as gay, a church leader told him ''there's medication you can go on." He continued, ''He recommended that I speak to Dr Craddock on the matter with a view to my being placed on medication to help me with my 'problem','' the New Zealand resident said, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

The teen went to visit the 75-year-old doctor who then prescribed him with a "gay cure": the anti-androgen therapy cyproterone acetate, sold under the brand name Cyprostat, along with five repeats, according to ninemsn. He said the doctor did not refer him to a psychologist or discuss the drug's side effects.

Cyprostat is a form of hormone therapy used to treat prostate cancer. The drug will "work by stopping testosterone from reaching the cancer cells. Without testosterone the prostate cancer cells are not able to grow," according to the UK's Prostate Cancer Charity. Hormone suppressants have been used to "chemically castrate" sex offenders, the Guardian notes.

A hearing by the Medical Council of the Australian State of New South Wales determined, "Dr Craddock failed to adequately assess the patient and failed to provide appropriate medical management of the patients therapeutic needs," in anexcerpt obtained by Gay Star News. The committee found that Craddock was guilty of "unsatisfactory processional conduct. He was severely reprimanded and practice restrictions were placed on his registration."

There are more than 40,000 Exclusive Brethren around the world, according to the sect's official website. They "believe strongly in the traditional family unit. Marriage is held in the greatest [honor], as one of God's original thoughts of blessing for the human race."

Some doctors, like Craddock, have taken somewhat dangerous steps in an attempt to "cure" homosexuality. In 2010, Dr. Maria New of New York City's Mount Sinai was reportedly experimenting with injecting fetuses with steroids to potentially make girls "more feminine" and reduce odds they turn out gay, the Oregonianreported at the time.

The American Psychiatric Association has condemned the "treatment" of homosexuality, according to GLAAD, saying, "The potential risks of 'reparative therapy' are great, including depression, anxiety and self-destructive behavior, since therapist alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce self-hatred already experienced by the patient."

Activists have championed against "gay cures" in the United Kingdom, which includes Conversion Therapy. Last year, Apple pulled Exodus International's "Gay Cure" app from its collection.

Other 'Gay Cures' over the years:

Exorcism

In 2009 Manifested Glory Ministries came under fire when a 20-minute video posted on YouTube showed a 16 year old being subjected to an exorcism to "cure" him of his homosexuality.

The boy is shown writhing as church members stand on his feet, hold him under the arms and scream, "Come on, you homosexual demon! You homosexual spirit, we call you out right now! Loose your grip, Lucifer!"

Electrocution

Electrocution has long been a go-to tool for "curing" homosexuality and is still used to this day.

In October Nathan Manske, the founder and Executive Director of I'm From Driftwood, a 501©(3) non-profit forum for true lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer stories, shared the story of Samuel Brinton on HuffPost Gay Voices.

Brinton was raised in rural Iowa and he spoke of growing up gay in a conservative, Southern Baptist family that subjected him to forced Christian conversion therapy.

"We then went into the 'Month of Hell,'" Brinton explains in the video above. "The 'Month of Hell' consisted of tiny needles being stuck into my fingers and then pictures of explicit acts between men would be shown and I'd be electrocuted."

Prostitution

Baron Albert von Schrenck-Notzing, a German psychiatrist who practiced during the 19th century, prescribed a trip to a brothel, preceded by lots of drinking, to cure men of their homosexuality.

Women who were "afflicted," it's noted, "were referred only to their husbands."

Hypnosis

Hypnotism was a common tool used during the 19th century to "cure" homosexuals. When Schrenck-Notzing wasn't busy sending gay men to brothels, he was hypnotizing them.

In 1892 the German psychiatrist reported success in treating 32 cases of "sexual perversions." Of the 32 cases, 12 were classified as "cured," meaning "the patients were completely able to 'combat fixed ideas [about homosexuality], deepen a sense of duty, self-control, and right-mindedness.'"

Fetal Intervention

Günther Dorner, who worked with the Institute for Experimental Endocrinology in the middle of the 20th century, believed that homosexuality is "determined by prenatal gendering of the brain caused by endocrinological disturbances."

He hypothesized that if you could alter any hormonal imbalances present in the womb -- as he attempted to do with fetal rats -- homosexuality could be prevented before it even developed.

'Overdosing' On Homosexuality

In the 1960s British psychologist I. Oswald would pump a gay man full of nausea-inducing drugs before surrounding him with glasses of urine and playing audio recordings of men having sex.

Oswald was attempting to "overdose" gay men on homosexuality in hopes that they would "turn to women for relief."

Bicycling

American neurologist Graeme M. Hammond suggests bicycling as a cure for homosexuality. He believed "homosexuality was rooted in nervous exhaustion and that bicycle exercise would restore health and heterosexuality."

Cold Showers

In June of 2011 Hong Kong reportedly hired a psychiatrist to give a government-sponsored training session on conversion therapy.

Among the techniques Hong Kwai-wah suggested for "curing" homosexuality were cold showers, prayer, and abstinence.

Transplants

Eugen Steinach (1861-1944), director of the Biological Institute in Vienna, believed that homosexuality was the result of hormonal imbalances.

To prove his hypothesis, the scientist implanted sex organs in neutered rats and Guinea pigs and claimed to have conducted successful "sex change" operations on the rodents.

Steinach's research didn't end with animals. He also transplanted testicles from heterosexual men into gay men in hopes of "remasculizing the recipient."
http://www.cabinetma...s/29/turner.php

Cocaine, Strychnine, Genital Mutilation

Physician Denslow Lewis believed that women brought up in wealthy 19th century homes could develop "sexual hyperesthesia [excessive sensitivity to stimuli]" and become lesbians.

In order to cure these women he prescribed "cocaine solutions, saline cathartics, the surgical "liberation" of adherent clitorises, or even the administration of strychnine by hypodermic."

Though he claimed that some of his patients were "cured" and became wives and mothers, one went insane and died in an asylum.
http://www.glreview....hp?articleid=42

Praying

"Pray the gay away!" has become the battle cry of the conversion therapy movement.

From Marcus Bachmann's alleged conversion clinic to an ex-gay iPhone app, those who believe homosexuality is not only wrong but curable rely on the power of prayer to make a miracle happen.

http://www.thenation...-ex-gay-therapy
http://outspokennyc....gay-sashay-away

:picard:

Edited by Sharpshooter, 05 September 2012 - 12:49 PM.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#2 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,687 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

Well, he was banned.

Case closed.
Posted Image

#3 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

Well, he was banned.

Case closed.

Unfortunately his 'brethren' continue to 'practice medicine' around the world.

The case is far from closed unfortunately, until homosexuality isn't considered something that can be cured, and whose cure is pursued by religious fanatics, aka anyone who thinks homosexuality isn't a natural state of being regardless of what their religion tells them to believe.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#4 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

Anything but love for your supreme and glorious leader Aladeen needs to be cured!!!
Posted Image

#5 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,687 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Where Religion and Science meet and shake hands: Genetic alteration of gay fetuses to make them hetero.

Where Religion, Science and the Government all meet and shake hands: Forced genetic alteration of gay fetuses to make them hetero, without the parents' knowledge or consent.
Posted Image

#6 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,334 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

I wonder if they have a cure for those that misuse religion?

Christians are supposed to follow Jesus - how does that "sect" consider itself Christian?
They are more like the Pharisees than Christians.

"Let he without sin cast the first stone".

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#7 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Where Religion and Science meet and shake hands: Genetic alteration of gay fetuses to make them hetero.

Where Religion, Science and the Government all meet and shake hands: Forced genetic alteration of gay fetuses to make them hetero, without the parents' knowledge or consent.

It's a scary thought...but perhaps not an impossibility in some countries who don't mind mixing science and religion for dogmatic purposes.

#8 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

Christians are supposed to follow Jesus - how does that "sect" consider itself Christian?

Education perhaps?

I think it's also the natural part of being able to interpret ambiguous texts to elicit whichever meaning one wants to, unfortunately.

#9 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

Another indication that the lack of Pirates is having a tumultuous effect on this world.
Posted Image

#10 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,334 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

Education perhaps?

I think it's also the natural part of being able to interpret ambiguous texts to elicit whichever meaning one wants to, unfortunately.

I was thinking of something more drastic than "education".

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#11 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

And right there is where you perpetuate the derailing of the thread.

Who I remind you of or don't remind you is irrelevant and inconsequential to the topic of the thread.

Why don't you show a little maturity and learn about or discuss the topic instead? If you don't have anything to contribute substantially about the topic, then leave and don't return.

When you tell people to GTFO, that's consequential to this thread - you're creating an environment where you believe you're superior to everyone else in the thread (just because you're the OP). Hardly different from a majority of the crazies over at Proposals subforum or the kindergartener who take the ball and go when other people don't play their way.

If you don't like it, feel free to do the following:
- actually leave the thread
- ignore my posts
- post other content in this thread

Edited by Common sense, 05 September 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#12 goneforever

goneforever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

One "cure" missing from that list is playing Barbra Streisand albums at loud volume for days on end. Oh wait, sorry, that's how you turn someone gay. Wrong thread.

#13 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

POPULAR

I think people should stop treating it like it's a disease ffs. Christians trying to "fix the problem" because it's against a story they believe in should really grow the fk up...

If someone is gay, then they're gay, so leave them alone silly people.
Posted Image

#14 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

POPULAR

Here we go again. Another thread that will and has already gone off topic.

That said, as a Christian, this is obviously horrible that this was done. Not what Christ meant by "healing the world."

What also sucks is that this thread will very quickly turn into "This is why religion, etc, etc, etc." I don't know one Christian myself that wouldn't be disgusted by this happening.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#15 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Man... where do you find this stuff?

Something that has always puzzled me is how doctors, priests, and lawyers become so corrupt. Generally speaking these are very educated professionals, from my experience with education the small minded are usually weeded out.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#16 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

Posted Image
"I can't believe I didn't think of that"

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#17 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

Posted Image
"I can't believe I didn't think of that"

Lol, from the Obama/Romney thread I picked you for a conservative. Well played sir.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#18 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

I was thinking of something more drastic than "education".

Legal recourse would be an alternative to education....but it doesn't really address the root cause imo.

#19 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

Lol, from the Obama/Romney thread I picked you for a conservative. Well played sir.

You must be new. :lol:

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#20 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I can already see where this thread is going..... the God thread v.3? Or is it v4 now?

Oh boy, here we go again.

Anyways, what surprised me most about this case is that the doctor was merely banned from practicing. In my opinion he should be doing jail-time.

One "cure" missing from that list is playing Barbra Streisand albums at loud volume for days on end. Oh wait, sorry, that's how you turn someone gay. Wrong thread.

Hahahahaha :lol:

RIP LB RR PD

#21 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

Nothing in that OP is news to me, no need relearning things I already know.
And by making a post with the sole purpose of whining about other peoples posts you don't feel are relevant to your thread, you are derailing the thread just as much as they are -_-

You knew that a Viennese doctor transplanted testicles of hetero-sexual men into homosexual men in the late 1800's to early 1900's?

That's impressive. Which high-school subject did you learn that in?

Edited by Sharpshooter, 05 September 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#22 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

please do not take offense ossi , but i am rolling round on the ground laughing at the idea of satans evil twin being conservative :shock: :lol:

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#23 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

Wow. Derailed before it even left the station...

Anyway, the man's clearly a backwards idiot. He doesn't represent the view of every Christian/religious doctor though.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

You knew that a Viennese doctor transplanted testicles of hetero-sexual men into homosexual men in the late 1800's to early 1900's?

That's impressive. Which high-school subject did you learn that in?

Come on Sharp, don't be facetious. If you can look up news articles, I'm sure he can too. You're just making enemies now by being so antagonistic.

I'm sure you realize from the other threads on religion that I'm an Atheist, but by being so confrontational, you're not making the environment conducive to discussion.

RIP LB RR PD

#25 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Brethren school kids 'brainwashed'

by: Matthew Denholm
September 25, 200612:00AM

CHILDREN at taxpayer-funded schools run by the Exclusive Brethren sect are brainwashed and their basic texts are crudely censored, say former teachers.

Several teachers have told The Australian they left Brethren schools in disgust at "excessive control" over what children were allowed to read and study.

And they said they were paid $10,000 a year less than teachers at comparable non-government schools because the sect did not allow enterprise bargaining.

The claims have prompted calls from teachers, unions and politicians for tighter conditions on taxpayer funding for Brethren schools, which receive $20.7 million a year in federal money.

A fundamentalist Christian sect, the Exclusive Brethren has created controversy in Australia and abroad for smear campaigns against liberal-minded politicians.

New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark accused the sect of hiring a private detective to gather dirt on her and husband Peter Davis, who was pictured in a magazine being kissed by a "mystery man", who turned out to be a family friend.

The sect has 31 schools in Australia - in NSW, Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania - teaching 3823 children until the end of high school.

As the Brethren do not believe in tertiary education, they must hire non-members of the sect to teach in their schools. A teacher who recently left one of the sect's three Oakwood schools in Tasmania said he did so in disgust at the "complete control" over the children and their education imposed by the Brethren.

"I didn't want to contribute to a system in which the control over the children was so complete," the teacher said.

"The children are told what jobs they will do and who they will marry. They were not being equipped to live in the outside world. The Brethren were cutting off the children's pathways."

Most modern novels were banned, pages were removed even from permitted 19th-century works and entire chapters were censored from science books.

"One science book had all the chapters on reproduction cut out," one teacher said. "Most modern texts were banned."

Teachers reported positives, such as excellent reading skills among the children and an absence of violent or abusive behaviour, but said pupils could be difficult to discipline because they did not believe they needed to heed the word of outsiders.

John Saunders, chief executive of the Brethren's Hobart campus of Oakwood School, rejected the criticisms. "'Our school community, including non-Brethren staff and teachers, has an understanding, respect and a commitment to abide by the school ethos," he said.

"This ethos upholds scriptural principles, including the teachings of Christ and the apostles. Our school is a Christian fundamentalist school with a secular curriculum. Many modern-day novels are rejected on the basis they are contrary to the truth of scripture. The parents have set up the Oakwood school to protect their children from the rapid moral decline in today's society."

Independent Education Union federal secretary Lynne Rolley questioned taxpayer funding of Brethren schools, saying it was unfair to other non-government schools with full market pay rates.

the bretheren is not a religion , it is a cult .

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 05 September 2012 - 03:13 PM.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#26 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

The fact that religious schools like that get government funding baffles me. In my mind, as a taxpayer, if they want to preach their dogma, it shouldn't come out of my pocket.

RIP LB RR PD

#27 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

Come on Sharp, don't be facetious. If you can look up news articles, I'm sure he can too. You're just making enemies now by being so antagonistic.

I'm sure you realize from the other threads on religion that I'm an Atheist, but by being so confrontational, you're not making the environment conducive to discussion.

I've discussed the matter respectfully with those that decided to come into the thread to do so, even though I may disagree with them on a range of other things previously and with whom I will continue to have profound differences with. For those that had other intentions, they made their own beds.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 05 September 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#28 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Now where the hell did I leave my casting stones again?

Edited by Aladeen, 05 September 2012 - 03:22 PM.

Posted Image

#29 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,453 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

I just simply cannot believe how a rational human being can come to that conclusion. No wonder I have problems with authority, it always gets abused in the end.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#30 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

The fact that religious schools like that get government funding baffles me. In my mind, as a taxpayer, if they want to preach their dogma, it shouldn't come out of my pocket.

tell me about it brother , thats my taxes hard at work .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.