Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Christian Doctor Chemically Castrated Boy As Part Of 'Gay Cure'.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
346 replies to this topic

#31 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

"I didn't want to contribute to a system in which the control over the children was so complete," the teacher said.

I find this particular line very amusing.
Posted Image

#32 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

**And on the 8th day, God created Joseph Smith**

I find more "agnostics" who lead their lives "in-step" with the teachings of Christ, than I do "Christians" .. he who does not "practice what he preaches" is so easily tagged with the "hypocrite" label, and justifiably so ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#33 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,795 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

the bretheren is not a religion , it is a cult

What? You're telling me that a group that labels themselves as 'Exclusive Brethren' is a cult?

Insert 'naw dawg' meme here.
Posted Image

#34 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

What? You're telling me that a group that labels themselves as 'Exclusive Brethren' is a cult?

Insert 'naw dawg' meme here.

and the point of this post was..................

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#35 dajusta

dajusta

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

Sharpshooter looks like he needs his agnosticism fix weekly.
I'm Christian
I won't judge you
No one is perfect
Only through Jesus
Will we find Truth

#36 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

Somehow this seems appropriate in this thread. I have no idea why.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

I wonder if they have a cure for those that misuse religion?

Christians are supposed to follow Jesus - how does that "sect" consider itself Christian?
They are more like the Pharisees than Christians.

"Let he without sin cast the first stone".

It's much easier to label people all as the same.

#38 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

I believe that this topic is a clear example of how religions are anything but harmless. Atheists and agnostics who are apologetic and get angry with non-deists for pointing out the issues with religion need to take notice.

It is amazing how mainstream religions get away with child abuse, physical and mental. The physical abuse is obvious but what isn't so obvious is the mental abuse. Kids being taught religious dogma and having their way of life chosen for them before they have the ability to choose for themselves. That is child abuse.

Another issue I have with apologists turning the other cheek was pointed out rather brilliantly by Sam Harris; moderate religious figures (individuals who don't believe their holy texts are literally true, but are sources of their moral fibre) allow the more deluded followers or extremists to use this fine line to justify their sociopathy. Extreme Islamists not only are revered by others of the same ilk, they are shielded from persecution because they are acting in the name of a faith or belief above the "laws of man".

The same is true in the case brought forward in the OP. The doctor felt justified because he believed he was doing all he could to keep the sinner from acting on his sins and thus damnation; what could be more moral? Of course the bible doesn't specifically condone his actions, but due to Christianity's evolution, the delusional may find shelter to practice their antics while feeling morally justified. A problem I would rather be addressed by the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr. Rowen Williams as opposed to Australian Cardinal, George Pell.
Posted Image

#39 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

Sharpshooter looks like he needs his agnosticism fix weekly.

What is an agnosticism fix?

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#40 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

I believe that this topic is a clear example of how religions are anything but harmless. Atheists and agnostics who are apologetic and get angry with non-deists for pointing out the issues with religion need to take notice.

It is amazing how mainstream religions get away with child abuse, physical and mental. The physical abuse is obvious but what isn't so obvious is the mental abuse. Kids being taught religious dogma and having their way of life chosen for them before they have the ability to choose for themselves. That is child abuse.

Another issue I have with apologists turning the other cheek was pointed out rather brilliantly by Sam Harris; moderate religious figures (individuals who don't believe their holy texts are literally true, but are sources of their moral fibre) allow the more deluded followers or extremists to use this fine line to justify their sociopathy. Extreme Islamists not only are revered by others of the same ilk, they are shielded from persecution because they are acting in the name of a faith or belief above the "laws of man".

The same is true in the case brought forward in the OP. The doctor felt justified because he believed he was doing all he could to keep the sinner from acting on his sins and thus damnation; what could be more moral? Of course the bible doesn't specifically condone his actions, but due to Christianity's evolution, the delusional may find shelter to practice their antics while feeling morally justified. A problem I would rather be addressed by the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr. Rowen Williams as opposed to Australian Cardinal, George Pell.

right on brother .
my mother is a full on practising catholic and even she despises that POS pell .

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 05 September 2012 - 04:47 PM.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#41 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

they didn't say if it worked or not...
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#42 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

they didn't say if it worked or not...

Hmm good point. We need to do a Randomized Clinical Trial to find out.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

Hmm good point. We need to do a Randomized Clinical Trial to find out.

Oh great, another one of them. :P :)

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#44 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

Someone should make a thread titled "The thread where extremists do ridiculously irrational things"
Then people post stuff like this in it. +_+

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#45 StealthNuck

StealthNuck

Keeping it real

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

Stay on topic folks. If you don't like the topic, don't post. If anyone continues to derail this thread, incite or antagonize other users, they will receive a 24 hour ban.

#46 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 13,797 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

What is an agnosticism fix?

Severe brain trauma?

I don't know if it'll actually fix it but its bound to do something interesting.

/ First time I've ever heard Sharpie called an agnostic. I'm pretty sure he knows what he believes.
// The medical colleges of the world should maybe monitor the use of this substance more carefully, ya think?
/// Article didn't say...is the process reversible?

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#47 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

Severe brain trauma?

I don't know if it'll actually fix it but its bound to do something interesting.

/ First time I've ever heard Sharpie called an agnostic. I'm pretty sure he knows what he believes.
// The medical colleges of the world should maybe monitor the use of this substance more carefully, ya think?
/// Article didn't say...is the process reversible?

I'm no doctor or pharmacist, but it looks like usage of this drug over a period of time (as the article says) has long-term irreversible effects.

#48 dajusta

dajusta

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:12 AM

So what exactly do you believe in, Sharp?
I'm Christian
I won't judge you
No one is perfect
Only through Jesus
Will we find Truth

#49 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,679 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

How would this thread be different if it read:"Witch Doctor Chemically Castrates Boy?"

a true Brazilian will never give up until things are totally screwed..." -aeromotacanucks

#50 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

How would this thread be different if it read:"Witch Doctor Chemically Castrates Boy?"

Then we could get anti-doctor people saying "all doctors are crazy and there should be no more medicine!"

Comparing these guys (or Westboro for that matter) to Christians is really the same thing as comparing witch doctors to doctors.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#51 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

Then we could get anti-doctor people saying "all doctors are crazy and there should be no more medicine!"

Comparing these guys (or Westboro for that matter) to Christians is really the same thing as comparing witch doctors to doctors.

Bwah?

So then who're the Christians these guys are to be compared to? Who's the paragon of Christianity (aside from Jebus)?

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#52 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Bwah?

So then who're the Christians these guys are to be compared to? Who's the paragon of Christianity (aside from Jebus)?

Oh I dunno how bout the hundreds of thousands who actually act like Christ and don't do stupid hateful things like this. And I think you actually made a good point, Jesus is the model. That's the whole concept of "Christianity."

I mean really you can't see the difference between this guy and other Christians? They're just all kinda the same?

Nobody's perfect but not everyones crazy.

Edited by Nevlach, 06 September 2012 - 07:54 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

Oh I dunno how bout the hundreds of thousands who actually act like Christ and don't do stupid hateful things like this.

I mean really you can't see the difference between this guy and other Christians? They're just all kinda the same?

Nobody's perfect but not everyones crazy.

Finding hundreds of thousands of Real Christians™ in a sea of what, 2-3 billion so-called Christians? Sounds fun! After, can we stop for ice cream and then look for a Scottsman?

Edited by Satan's Evil Twin, 06 September 2012 - 07:56 AM.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

#54 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

Finding hundreds of thousands of Real Christians™ in a sea of what, 2-3 billion so-called Christians? Sounds fun! After, can we stop for ice cream and then look for a Scottsman?

Its a "Scotsman" .. and you dinna have to look far, laddie .. :lol:

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#55 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

Its a "Scotsman" .. and you dinna have to look far, laddie .. :lol:

It.. was... a... typo.. :ph34r:

I wonder which we'll find first if we look for both at once. ::D

Posted Image

#56 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

It.. was... a... typo.. :ph34r:

I wonder which we'll find first if we look for both at once. ::D

It's a safe wager the Scot will be standing in the shining glow of a good single malt .. a "true" Christian is a rarer beast .. :rolleyes:

#57 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

A common misconception:

"Religion is even more complicated, since there are so many different religious sects, and often religion is defined in one's own personal way. So saying "No True Christian ..." is not necessarily a "No True Scotsman" fallacy if the person making the statement defines their religion in such a way that really does preclude people who they do not deem to be "True Christians"."

To be a true Christian is to follow Christ's teaching and example. Castrating children I don't think falls under either of those two.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#58 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

A common misconception:

"Religion is even more complicated, since there are so many different religious sects, and often religion is defined in one's own personal way. So saying "No True Christian ..." is not necessarily a "No True Scotsman" fallacy if the person making the statement defines their religion in such a way that really does preclude people who they do not deem to be "True Christians"."

To be a true Christian is to follow Christ's teaching and example. Castrating children I don't think falls under either of those two.

Well I'm a person who is making the statement and I define my Scotsmen in such a way that really does preclude people who I do not deem to be "True Scotsmen".

So, are you a True Christian™?

Posted Image

#59 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

Well I'm a person who is making the statement and I define my Scotsmen in such a way that really does preclude people who I do not deem to be "True Scotsmen".

So, are you a True Christian™?

So what is your definition of a true Christian? All one has to do is say "I'm Christian." Then it doesn't matter what they do?

I'm a true agnostic. :P

Edited by Nevlach, 06 September 2012 - 08:23 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#60 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

A common misconception:

A "true" Christian is, IMO, someone who tries to live their life based on the example Jesus established .. here are the "accepted" tenets of "Christianity":

• Jesus Christ is the Only Way to Eternal Salvation With God the Father
  • We Are Saved by Grace Through Faith – Not by Works
  • Jesus Christ is the Son of God
  • The Incarnation of Jesus Christ
  • The Bodily Resurrection of Jesus Christ From the Grave
  • The Ascension of Jesus Christ
  • The Doctrine of the Trinity
  • The Holy Bible is the Inspired and Infallible Word of God
  • We Are Baptized With the Holy Spirit at the Moment of Salvation
  • Regeneration by the Holy Spirit
  • The Doctrine of Hell
  • The 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ Back to our Earth

To believe in each and every one of these "tenets" is an absolute requirement to be a "Christian" ..

Strange how none of these "tenets" appear to stress the need to emulate Jesus' own lifestyle, which stressed humility, tolerance and service to others .. a simple life unadorned by avarice, greed and the "Capitalist" creed ..

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.