The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Organic Foods Little Different From Non-Organic Foods Say New Study

DonLever

LMOA at the propaganda against organics. They arent telling you the real truth anyways. The food we all eat is irradiated and tomatoes shouldnt last for 3 weeks in the fridge. The food we are all consuming is slowly destroying our immune systems and no one really cares. Honestly the more stupids that die the better. GMO foods are everywhere and no one even had a chance to stop it.

LMOA at the propaganda against organics. They arent telling you the real truth anyways. The food we all eat is irradiated and tomatoes shouldnt last for 3 weeks in the fridge. The food we are all consuming is slowly destroying our immune systems and no one really cares. Honestly the more stupids that die the better. GMO foods are everywhere and no one even had a chance to stop it.

Not one to spend more than necessary, I shied away from organics and was not at all surprised to hear that processing them can add contaminants from other foods in the same distribution system. Having said that, I was given a whole bunch of organics from a friend who was overstocked with the stuff (tomatoes, peppers cucumbers etc.) and they tasted much better than the stuff available at the big stores.

No they're not and no it isn't. Cancer MORTALITY may be on the decline but you can thank medicine, not diet/farming practices for that.

I don't buy organic because there's "more vitamins" etc. I buy it because I'd like to avoid as much of the chemical cocktail pesticides being foisted on the public from modern farming practices that have been shown to be linked to MANY health issues.. The article OP posted is not new information.

Guest BuckFoston

No they're not and no it isn't. Cancer MORTALITY may be on the decline but you can thank medicine, not diet/farming practices for that.

I don't buy organic because there's "more vitamins" etc. I buy it because I'd like to avoid as much of the chemical cocktail pesticides being foisted on the public from modern farming practices that have been shown to be linked to MANY health issues.. The article OP posted is not new information.

I don't buy organic too often. Can't justify the price.

However, I started a herb garden this year, with some cherry tomatoes and swiss chard in there too. It's been fantastic. If you have the room, you can't make a better investment food-wise.

For instance, a little pack of chard costs around $3 at Safeway, but the stuff grows like weeds in Calgary. I cut an entire plant off at the stem a few weeks ago, and the thing is now almost 3 feet high. We've had chard for dinner nearly 20 times this summer, and will have it probably another half-dozen times before the season is out. The original plants cost $10. I'm pretty sure they self-germinate too.

The seeds may not have been organic, but there are no pesticides or anything. Straight from the soil to the pan.

Organic obviously is better because they are grown more naturally. The "pesticide cocktail" on non-organic foods, if you look into them, is pretty shocking. That being said, the majority of people cannot afford to buy purely organic foods, and the truth is farms that only grow organic foods don't have protective domes surrounding them, keeping all the bad stuff out. The soil itself is most likely irradiated to a certain degree, albeit at low levels.

I find that organic food just tastes better. Organic fruits and vegetables just have better flavour and meat from organically-raised animals have better texture and taste better too. I'd like to be able to buy mostly organic food, but the price difference is just too much for a jobless student atm.

Tomato grown from my garden with no laboratory made pesticides, fertilizers, chemicals, and no artificial lighting = Organic

Tomato from the store with those things = non-organic

My garden's tomato's taste after ripening on the vine >>>>>>>>>> Store Tomato ripened on the way to the store after it's been picked early

That's all the evidence I have at the moment to disagree with the claim that there's no difference.

I don't buy organic too often. Can't justify the price.

However, I started a herb garden this year, with some cherry tomatoes and swiss chard in there too. It's been fantastic. If you have the room, you can't make a better investment food-wise.

For instance, a little pack of chard costs around $3 at Safeway, but the stuff grows like weeds in Calgary. I cut an entire plant off at the stem a few weeks ago, and the thing is now almost 3 feet high. We've had chard for dinner nearly 20 times this summer, and will have it probably another half-dozen times before the season is out. The original plants cost $10. I'm pretty sure they self-germinate too.

The seeds may not have been organic, but there are no pesticides or anything. Straight from the soil to the pan.

Agreed. The vegetables and herbs grown in my parents' little back yard garden and the produce and meat from my parents' neighbour's farm taste infinitely better than anything you can buy from a store. Vine-ripened, fresh out of the ground foods are just so much better.

The one time I visited their farm we had fresh chicken (killed that day), fresh pork (also killed that day), and fresh, home-made pasta (oh man, the best). It's just better for you, and the culinary value is much higher as well.

The problem is that multinational corporations are slowly poisoning our food supply and causing health problems THAT COST YOU MONEY and environmental damage THAT COST YOU MONEY in the name of THEIR profits.

The true cost of those bananas is NOT $0.79/kg.

Archived