The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Organic Foods Little Different From Non-Organic Foods Say New Study

DonLever

Fresh, organic, from your garden tomatoes are night and day to the garbage you buy in store ;)

And yes TML, as was already noted earlier in the thread, there are certain fruits/vegetables that are more beneficial to buy organic compared to others. Celery, bell peppers and strawberries I believe are some of the bigger ones. But as you presumably have a computer and internet connection, a quick google search should be quite informative.

FWIW there are also differences between Canada/US, so take that in to consideration when researching. For example if buying milk across the border, I would ONLY buy organic as they allow a ton of growth hormones and crap in their non-organic milk that are illegal in Canada. Buying milk here (while I have tried both and the organic DOES taste better), there's little difference here for chemicals/health risk between "normal" and organic milk and the organic is almost twice the price. Does taste good though!

Then it's not a priority for you. Just like people on limited budgets eating KD and Mr. Noodles, you're not making diet a priority. That however does not mean there are no repercussions for your decisions.

That does not make people who DO care what they put in their bodies and what farmers put in to the environment "crazy" or "stupid" for doing so.

And just to add, most, but not all, health benefits of a good diet are received in the long term for the long term. The body can handle a fair amount of toxins at the college/university age....but as you pointed out, it doesn't mean that there won't be any damage done in the short term, or possibly long term.

indeed. In the short term an inferior diet will affect your bodies ability to work, play, heal and learn...some pretty important things at that age for most people.

Longer term poor diet and/or diet full of pesticides/chemicals can affect health on an even bigger scale. Fertility, cancer, skin conditions, links to numerous disorders etc. The list is not small.

Then there's all the environmental damage, polluted water, sick animals etc.

Cheaper food now could cost you a LOT later in life if you think about it.

The problem with organic pesticides is that some have been proven to be equally dangerous to us as the synthetic ones. (good bye cancer, hello parkinsons?) And you're paying double for that?

The only way to go is pesticide-free, but good luck delivering that to the masses. Pesticides were invented for a reason. I think the organic movement has made us smarter about our food overall, so i'm for it. But you ain't scamming me into buying it, hippies.

Archived