The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Organic Foods Little Different From Non-Organic Foods Say New Study

DonLever

So tonight's dinner is short sighted? There are plenty of people having to push through just to feed their kids.

Not everyone has time to go to protests

I'm not talking about Europe, though you have to realize that coutries are smaller geographically in Europe making it easier to "eat local" as opposesd to 2 of the biggest countries size wise in Canada and the US.

Africa and parts of Asia were what I was talking about where there is a defined Elite, and then everyone else

I don't buy organic too often. Can't justify the price.

However, I started a herb garden this year, with some cherry tomatoes and swiss chard in there too. It's been fantastic. If you have the room, you can't make a better investment food-wise.

For instance, a little pack of chard costs around $3 at Safeway, but the stuff grows like weeds in Calgary. I cut an entire plant off at the stem a few weeks ago, and the thing is now almost 3 feet high. We've had chard for dinner nearly 20 times this summer, and will have it probably another half-dozen times before the season is out. The original plants cost $10. I'm pretty sure they self-germinate too.

The seeds may not have been organic, but there are no pesticides or anything. Straight from the soil to the pan.

The problem with organic pesticides is that some have been proven to be equally dangerous to us as the synthetic ones. (good bye cancer, hello parkinsons?) And you're paying double for that?

The only way to go is pesticide-free, but good luck delivering that to the masses. Pesticides were invented for a reason. I think the organic movement has made us smarter about our food overall, so i'm for it. But you ain't scamming me into buying it, hippies.

Archived