Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Canucks interested in Shea Weber

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
106 replies to this topic

#91 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:45 AM

Why are people comparing Edler to Weber? Weber is arguably the best D man in the league...... Edler was terrible in the playoffs this year.

Did you even watch the playoffs the last 2 years? Did you see Kesler have his way with Weber AND Suter? How about that offensive juggernaut named the Coyotes beating the great Weber. He played no better than Edler in any playoffs i watched him in. In fact Edler laid bigger hits than Weber in the last 2 playoffs, the only thing Weber was better at was knowing how to use the turnbuckle.

#92 The Läck Ness Monster

The Läck Ness Monster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

Nope. But they should take it out in the new CBA.

Strongly disagree. Poaching is part of the league, and without that rule it'd be pretty much impossible to do.

#93 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hodgson, Sturm and 3 First Overall Picks...

#94 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Don't even want to contemplate what it would cost to even get Nashville's attention.

Edler, Kesler, Jensen would probably get their attention. Probably would take at least that, nothing less. So, unless there are moves to be made that can replace, most notably, Kesler this trade is not worth making.

#95 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:53 AM

If we trade Weber they will ask for Edler. Do you want to give up Edler, our cornerstone on d who will probably be 2-2.5 mil cheaper or Weber....

What kind of question is that? Weber...he has been better than Edler all throughout his career and will always be better than Edler. Question is, do you want to pay cheaper for an inferior defenseman or pay up for a superior one. I mean, Honda Civic is cheaper than a BMW, so why buy a beammer?

Posted Image

#96 MaxLapierreAwesomeFace

MaxLapierreAwesomeFace

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

What kind of question is that? Weber...he has been better than Edler all throughout his career and will always be better than Edler. Question is, do you want to pay cheaper for an inferior defenseman or pay up for a superior one. I mean, Honda Civic is cheaper than a BMW, so why buy a beammer?

If edler is a honda civic what is the rest of our defence core?

#97 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Edler, Higgins, Hansen, Jensen, 1st

no way i would do that. ever.
Posted Image

#98 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

Pretty much. Edler has one year to prove himself as a consistent force on the Canucks defensive corps. My main gripe with Edler has been the lack of consistency. Some games he crushes anyone not in a Canucks jersey remotely close to blueine, some games he literally watches as we get scored on.

Weber ain't perfect either. Kesler proved that during the series against Nashville. However Weber is much more consistent, and moreso he adds something that I don't know if Edler can. Deterrence. When Weber is on the ice, there are very little liberties taken against his teammates. The same cannot be said for Edler. Can it?

The one piece of the puzzle the Canucks lack is an alpha defenseman. Sure Bieksa will stand up for his team, but his size prevents him from taking on the Lucics and Otts of the league.

Both Edler and Weber are amongst the best offensively gifted d-men in the league. Weber, however, is a more complete defensman.

Also, Edler hasn't signed with the Canucks and may be looking at Weber's contract for inspiration.

Although I agree with what your saying I just have to add I think Bieksa would destroy ott lol

#99 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

Why is this thread still open ?

Lock it and start a new one before next offseason lol.
Posted Image

#100 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Why is this thread still open ?

Lock it and start a new one before next offseason lol.

You mean after 2 seasons. Weber will be paid $27 million before he is trade eligible. No way NSH trades Weber after paying him $27 mill for only one year of service when all it would cost is an additional $1 mill for year 2 of the contract.

#101 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

The popular thing to do on CDC these days is to put Edler into every proposal. Edler is a 26 year old Dman with Norris potential. He is coming off a 50 Pts season and signed to a great contract for next year.

Edler will be signed to a lengthy extension at approx $5 million per year in the very near future. Edler will take less than market value to re-sign with the Canucks

No way this kid gets traded. He is worth a lot more than his trade value, particularly because he will be UFA after this season.

#102 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

If edler is a honda civic what is the rest of our defence core?

Kia Rio
Posted ImagePosted Image

#103 Raymond Ballard and a 1st

Raymond Ballard and a 1st

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

GMMG should have kept Aaron Rome. We could have traded him for Weber, Ellis, and a 1st. :emot-parrot:

#104 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

I had no issue with any of your posts at anytime, tystick. Your ideas are always sound.

I agree with you on the idea of doing the most we can to keep the team intact. I believe a big part of this is holding on to our younger players who can keep the Canucks in contention for the forseeable future.

My initial post was a bit rash by including so many players, namely Gaunce, Jensen, and Lack. These three, I believe, will be instrumental pieces in a future Canucks line-up.

However, I do believe that Gillis will make a play for Shea Weber, if it is feasible. He went to Kelowna and had a three hour meeting at Weber's home, in which he stated his interest in making him a Canuck.

Gilman has also stated that they would be willing to pay Weber what he wants.

"He's one player you look at and see he's worth it," Gilman said.

http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz25llfKmR5

At this point, it's nothing more than speculation.

But if the Canucks could acquire one of the league's best defenseman without totally destroying the team, we would be frighteningly good.

True. I really hope it works out that way!

A top pairing of:

Edler - Weber

or

Hamhuis - Weber

would be deadly!
Posted Image

#105 AndyBernard

AndyBernard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

why is this thread even here still... hes gone
Posted Image
credit - VintageCanuck

#106 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,917 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

True. I really hope it works out that way!

A top pairing of:

Edler - Weber

or

Hamhuis - Weber

would be deadly!

Hamhuis - Weber
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Bieksa
Tanev

:frantic:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#107 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

????........I was only on vacation for a month and..........?
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.