The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best prospect

50CON14

Actually i'm not even concerned with any of the forwards at this point, plus Lack or any other goaltender with decent skill will do ok with Melanson coaching. That's the main reason why CS is playing anywhere near his potential. What i'am concerned with is how K-conn and Sauve are progressing, forwards are a dime a dozen but defense is a much harder position to play and bigger mobile puck moving physical defensive players who can make very quick responsible reads are hard to come by and i hope those 2 are developing well. Both of them are decent sized with grit factor that we desperately need now and in the future. Let's hope they make the jump sooner than later, i wish we hired a professional Defense coach like we did melanson for our goalies.

1. Kassian

2. Jensen

3. Lack

4. Schroeder

5. Gaunce

These would have to be my top five, Kassian has to pay dividends. (Because of the Hodgson trade) He also apparently bulked up during the summer, so I can't wait to see him improve this season. Jensen played great while making the transition to the AHL, which makes me think he is a very quick learner and has a knack for this kind of thing. I think he will be with us in a season or two, Lack as well.

Schroeder will get his chance this season while Kes is on the IRL, so maybe he'll prove me wrong and move up on the list... Gaunce also looks very promising, but he is the youngest and therefore the furthest behind in his development. All in all I'm happy with our prospects and think they will look all the more sweet with Bjustad added on to the list. :P

Kassian, of course.

Jensen is a great prospect, but he was just a point per game player in OHL. I say "just" a ppg player because people here on CDC praise him like he put up 100 points in the juniors. He had a good stint with the Wolves, but I'll wait until how he does in SEL. He's been up and down the line up to start this season. Hopefully he has a solid season, and another one in the AHL. It's a good think Canucks are really deep - when Jensen gets proper development, he will be much better.

Lack is a great prospect. Probably right up there with Kassian. He's been one of the best in the AHL the last two seasons. Markstrom gets a lot more hype, but Lack's numbers are right up there as well. We'll see where Schneids-Lack duo takes us in 4 years. Maybe Lack will be starting and Cannata backstopping him.

Schroeder and Gaunce are right up there as well. Schredder is much more balanced player now, but he won't be the offensive superstar that people projected leading up to his draft (predicted to go top 10). If he turns out to be a decent second line forward (40~50 pts), we'll all be ecstatic. If he becomes a solid 30~40 third liner with great defensive instincts (i.e. better Raymond), then that's good too. Gaunce is probably in the same boat - with physicality. I can see Gaunce being a force on the 2nd or the 3rd line if he develops properly.

Kevin Connauton is right up there as well. Great offensive defenseman. He's the reason why we let go of Gragnani. Put up elite numbers with the Vancouver Giants, and is rounding out his defensive game. Can absolutely skate and shoot the puck and has great vision, and was born to quarterback the powerplay. One more season in the AHL to learn his defensive game will do wonders for the kid.

Frankie Corrado will be another Jannik Hansen - in that he would be a steal considering where he was drafted. Has upside to be a great mobile puck moving defenseman who plays very detailed game and doesn't make many mistakes.

Labate is another intriguing prospect.

Mallet may turn out to be a serviceable 4th liner if he can beat out the competition. Not sure if his offense as an over-ager in the Q will carry over to the NHL.

These are probably our best prospects right now. But like I said, imo, it's no question that Kassian is our best prospect. We gave up Hodgson for a reason.

1: Jensen - this guy will be top six - he already plays an NHL style

2: Lack - this guy will be a very good backup

3: Corrado - this guy will eventually be top 4

4: Connauton - this guy will play PP and 5 or 6 D - but not this year for Vancouver

5: Cannata - this guy will see some time in the NHL eventually

6: Kassian - he is big and has some skill but will he ever apply himself consistently?

7: Gaunce - he will play third or fourth line C down the road

8: Sauve - he may be a 6 or 7 defensive D

9: McNally - he may give some O from D, but will he be a good enough D?

10: Schroeder - you can play if you are small and brilliant - so far, he is only small - injuries to Canuck centres may give him a shot this year. If he doesn't run with it, forget him.

My picks are;

Jensen

Lack

Kassian

Connauton

Gaunce

Schroeder

Gaunce

Corrado

McNally

Sauve

Responding below; :sick:

Chris Tanev, even if you consider him one, is nowhere near our top prospect. He is the most advanced and most likely to make the team right away but has little upside.

- he does not have big wheels

- he does not have a big shot

- he does not rush the puck

- he does not hit

- he is small!

I still remain shocked how well he plays with few distinguishable physical skills... The guy has hockey smarts, always makes the right play and has composure so can obviously make me look like an idiot. But our other D prospects have more of the skills listed above?

Chris Tanev

Since he hasn't yet made the Canucks roster full time, he's still considered a prospect.. Although he is a lock for next year, unless we get someone better in a trade

Wish I was on what you are on! :rolleyes:

Since when was Erhoff in any Canuck discussion about prospects?

:picard:

que close up picture of Cody Hodgson

Christian Ehfhoff

Cory Schneider

at one time Trevor Linden

that's the thing about picking the best prospects..there is not a whole lot to choose from..until it's obvious..

Frankie Corrado will be another Jannik Hansen - in that he would be a steal considering where he was drafted. Has upside to be a great mobile puck moving defenseman who plays very detailed game and doesn't make many mistakes.

Mallet may turn out to be a serviceable 4th liner if he can beat out the competition. Not sure if his offense as an over-ager in the Q will carry over to the NHL.

Archived