Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Best prospect

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#31 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:41 PM

Jensen is my pick although it could be argued that Lack or Kassian is the most NHL ready.

#32 CanucksToWinSCF

CanucksToWinSCF

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

Kassian, then Jensen.
Posted Image

#33 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

Kassian, of course.

Jensen is a great prospect, but he was just a point per game player in OHL. I say "just" a ppg player because people here on CDC praise him like he put up 100 points in the juniors. He had a good stint with the Wolves, but I'll wait until how he does in SEL. He's been up and down the line up to start this season. Hopefully he has a solid season, and another one in the AHL. It's a good think Canucks are really deep - when Jensen gets proper development, he will be much better.

Lack is a great prospect. Probably right up there with Kassian. He's been one of the best in the AHL the last two seasons. Markstrom gets a lot more hype, but Lack's numbers are right up there as well. We'll see where Schneids-Lack duo takes us in 4 years. Maybe Lack will be starting and Cannata backstopping him.

Schroeder and Gaunce are right up there as well. Schredder is much more balanced player now, but he won't be the offensive superstar that people projected leading up to his draft (predicted to go top 10). If he turns out to be a decent second line forward (40~50 pts), we'll all be ecstatic. If he becomes a solid 30~40 third liner with great defensive instincts (i.e. better Raymond), then that's good too. Gaunce is probably in the same boat - with physicality. I can see Gaunce being a force on the 2nd or the 3rd line if he develops properly.

Kevin Connauton is right up there as well. Great offensive defenseman. He's the reason why we let go of Gragnani. Put up elite numbers with the Vancouver Giants, and is rounding out his defensive game. Can absolutely skate and shoot the puck and has great vision, and was born to quarterback the powerplay. One more season in the AHL to learn his defensive game will do wonders for the kid.

Frankie Corrado will be another Jannik Hansen - in that he would be a steal considering where he was drafted. Has upside to be a great mobile puck moving defenseman who plays very detailed game and doesn't make many mistakes.

Labate is another intriguing prospect.

Mallet may turn out to be a serviceable 4th liner if he can beat out the competition. Not sure if his offense as an over-ager in the Q will carry over to the NHL.

These are probably our best prospects right now. But like I said, imo, it's no question that Kassian is our best prospect. We gave up Hodgson for a reason.

#34 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

1: Jensen - this guy will be top six - he already plays an NHL style
2: Lack - this guy will be a very good backup
3: Corrado - this guy will eventually be top 4
4: Connauton - this guy will play PP and 5 or 6 D - but not this year for Vancouver
5: Cannata - this guy will see some time in the NHL eventually
6: Kassian - he is big and has some skill but will he ever apply himself consistently?
7: Gaunce - he will play third or fourth line C down the road
8: Sauve - he may be a 6 or 7 defensive D
9: McNally - he may give some O from D, but will he be a good enough D?
10: Schroeder - you can play if you are small and brilliant - so far, he is only small - injuries to Canuck centres may give him a shot this year. If he doesn't run with it, forget him.

#35 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:50 AM

My picks are;

Jensen
Lack
Kassian
Connauton
Gaunce
Schroeder
Gaunce
Corrado
McNally
Sauve

Responding below; :sick:

Chris Tanev, even if you consider him one, is nowhere near our top prospect. He is the most advanced and most likely to make the team right away but has little upside.

- he does not have big wheels
- he does not have a big shot
- he does not rush the puck
- he does not hit
- he is small!

I still remain shocked how well he plays with few distinguishable physical skills... The guy has hockey smarts, always makes the right play and has composure so can obviously make me look like an idiot. But our other D prospects have more of the skills listed above?

Chris Tanev

Since he hasn't yet made the Canucks roster full time, he's still considered a prospect.. Although he is a lock for next year, unless we get someone better in a trade

Plus 10! Lets go with Bjugstad... B)

Bjugstad?

regards,
G.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 06 September 2012 - 03:53 AM.

#36 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:11 AM

Wish I was on what you are on! :rolleyes:

Since when was Erhoff in any Canuck discussion about prospects?

:picard:

que close up picture of Cody Hodgson

Christian Ehfhoff

Cory Schneider

at one time Trevor Linden

that's the thing about picking the best prospects..there is not a whole lot to choose from..until it's obvious..

#37 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

I reckon it is Schroeder.

Based on what?

#38 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

Jensen hands down. He is the only "proven" power forward prospect. I wouldn't say that Kassian should end up as a top6 while I see Jensen being a top 6 forward.

Proven? Yeah, sure...

#39 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

Right now: Schroeder. in nhl 12, everytime he shoots, he just snipes it past the goalie.

Oh, what a brilliant recommendation. His video game personna is good. Again, based on what?

#40 Guest_Dasein_*

Guest_Dasein_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

Frankie Corrado will be another Jannik Hansen - in that he would be a steal considering where he was drafted. Has upside to be a great mobile puck moving defenseman who plays very detailed game and doesn't make many mistakes.

Mallet may turn out to be a serviceable 4th liner if he can beat out the competition. Not sure if his offense as an over-ager in the Q will carry over to the NHL.

I'd compare Corrado to Bieksa rather than Hansen - tough defenseman drafted in the 5th round. Ludwig Blomstrand is more comparable to Hansen and is the closest thing to Hansen we have in our system currently - European, late pick, tenacious, great skater, great hitter, great 2-way play, etc.

And I think Mallet has greater potential than a 4th liner - he was given a boost of confidence when the Canucks drafted him in the 2nd round - that shows trust on him from the franchise to be something bigger than a 4th line player, and I think he'll play up to that expectation. Of course, if you were talking about this season alone, I'd agree. But in the future, I could see him pan out to be a 2nd - 3rd liner.

#41 gabar

gabar

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Gaunce

#42 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

Kassian and Lack are our only bluechip guys IMO. Jensen, Gaunce, Corrado, Schroeder etc. either have "boom bust" potential or a limited ceiling.
Sig too big.

#43 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

In terms of potential:

1. Jensen
2. Kassian
3. Schroeder
4. Lack
5. Gaunce

Honorable mention to Connauton, who sits outside the top-five for me.

In terms of the likelihood of being a contributing NHLer:

1. Lack
2. Gaunce
3. Jensen
4. Kassian
5. Schroeder
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#44 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

I give it one more full year, especially after the world juniors, until Gaunce is #1 .
  • Gaunce’s off-ice conditioning has resulted in impressive showings during fitness testing at both the 2012 Top Prospect Game and NHL Scouting Combine. At the February showcase game in beautiful Kelowna, Gaunce finished first in nine categories of testing while scouts witness him rack up twelve top 10 finishes at the recent 2012 NHL Combine. His commitment to all aspects of hockey has paid off as Bulls’ Head Coach Burnett leaned heavily on his star forward using him in all situations. Additionally, the second year center was named an “assistant captain” adopting a leadership role that Gaunce was born to fill.
  • The top heart-and-soul player of this draft class, Brendan Gaunce is a player that will contribute in a number of ways at the NHL level
  • Gaunce’s value lies in his size, intelligence, versatility and attention to detail that makes him, arguably, the draft’s top two-way forward
Is he as pure a scorer as Jensen? Probably not.... but I'll take the heart and soul, captain material, big Canadian anyday.

#45 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

Tanev or Kassian if they count as prospects

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#46 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,611 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

Lack.
Jensen.
K-Con.

comeundone.gif

#47 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

I'm going off the board and saying Gaunce. Even though he is the youngest of our top prospects I think he might be nearly the most NHL ready and he sounds like a close to a sure thing as you get in an 18 year old prospect.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#48 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

I'm going off the board and saying Gaunce. Even though he is the youngest of our top prospects I think he might be nearly the most NHL ready and he sounds like a close to a sure thing as you get in an 18 year old prospect.

I don't think Gaunce is off the board at all. He and Jensen are pretty even in terms of production, draft rank etc. Kassian could be a rare talent while at the same time get stuck as a 4th line guy. I think Gaunce will be a 35-40 point 2nd/3rd line centre who kills penalties and Jensen will be a 25g/25a 2nd liner.
Sig too big.

#49 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Right now: Schroeder. in nhl 12, everytime he shoots, he just snipes it past the goalie.
I have a feeling Jensen is gonna amazing in a few years though

Nuh uh! It's Gaunce, he's got a 4.5 star potential in nhl 13 and is better than Schroeder in just 1 year

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#50 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

Tanev or Kassian if they count as prospects

Loving the sig!

And Kassian, for me, though Jensen and Schroeder are close behind.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#51 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

I would like to see both Rodin and Tommernes surprise to the upside.

La Bate has the demeanor and attitude to make it to the big show.

Edited by nuck nit, 17 September 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#52 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

Gaunce or Jensen, in the longer term. I'd say Gaunce.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.