The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo in Vancouver for possible early summit with Canucks' GM Mike Gillis?

D-Bo7

Somehow, it does seem appropriate Roberto Luongo is quoting Terrell Owens.

Not that anyone expects him to be doing sit-ups in the middle of Yaletown's Urban Fare when he gets to Vancouver next week.

But there's going to be some entertainment when he squishes into his first media scrum.

After it was reported Luongo will be in Vancouver next week, he tweeted:

"Get your popcorn ready! Gonna be lots of fun!"

Don't know about fun, but it sure makes things a lot more interesting around here.

Luongo has made it clear this offseason he wants to move on from the Canucks. But a holdout to force the trade isn't in the cards. His plan is to check in with his current teammates, joining them for informal skates at UBC, so you may still have a chance to see Luongo in a Canucks jersey.

It's interesting because Luongo doesn't have to do this. Historically, he's preferred to work on his own than playing shiny hockey, something he's loathed. He usually doesn't get to town until the third week of September, just a couple of days before training camp.

This year, he could have avoided all of the media scrutiny by sticking to his routine. He could have remained in Florida until the looming lockout is triggered on September 15. But Luongo's not hiding from this story.

Is it possible he's coming early for a summit meeting with GM Mike Gillis to try and help move his situation forward?

He says that isn't the reason.

"Changing it up this year," Luongo said when asked about the change-up. "Trying to see if it will give me a better start."

I love it. Just come play hockey and let things work themselves out. These guys are all his friends, he's still on the team until something happens, and he's hopefully gone into Zen mode.

There's no use bucking the tide. He seems resigned to the situation.

....maybe? popcorn?

From an outsider's point of view, it seems the "media circus" explanation makes the most sense. Out of sight, out of mind takes the pressure off for a little bit. Front and center, there's no avoiding it and you KNOW the media will be in his face day in and day out asking the same question 100 different ways.

Prepare the cliches.

We were lucky to have this guy don the Nucks jersey. If history remembers Kirk Mclean and Brodeur as fondly as it does, you can bet Luongo will be remembered times 10. Though I believe he'll be dealt, a part of me hopes he is a Nuck in Sept and outplays Schnieder. I want to see what he can do playing with a chip on his shoulder.

I love it. Just come play hockey and let things work themselves out. These guys are all his friends, he's still on the team until something happens, and he's hopefully gone into Zen mode.

There's no use bucking the tide. He seems resigned to the situation.

....maybe? popcorn?

Archived