Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Luongo in Vancouver for possible early summit with Canucks' GM Mike Gillis?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Somehow, it does seem appropriate Roberto Luongo is quoting Terrell Owens.

Not that anyone expects him to be doing sit-ups in the middle of Yaletown's Urban Fare when he gets to Vancouver next week.

But there's going to be some entertainment when he squishes into his first media scrum.

After it was reported Luongo will be in Vancouver next week, he tweeted:
"Get your popcorn ready! Gonna be lots of fun!"

Don't know about fun, but it sure makes things a lot more interesting around here.

Luongo has made it clear this offseason he wants to move on from the Canucks. But a holdout to force the trade isn't in the cards. His plan is to check in with his current teammates, joining them for informal skates at UBC, so you may still have a chance to see Luongo in a Canucks jersey.

It's interesting because Luongo doesn't have to do this. Historically, he's preferred to work on his own than playing shiny hockey, something he's loathed. He usually doesn't get to town until the third week of September, just a couple of days before training camp.

This year, he could have avoided all of the media scrutiny by sticking to his routine. He could have remained in Florida until the looming lockout is triggered on September 15. But Luongo's not hiding from this story.

Is it possible he's coming early for a summit meeting with GM Mike Gillis to try and help move his situation forward?

He says that isn't the reason.

"Changing it up this year," Luongo said when asked about the change-up. "Trying to see if it will give me a better start."

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz25id87kNW

#2 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hard not to interpret this as sabotage. I'm really not sure how to take it considering the potential lockout Luongo really has no reason to be here.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

Luongo really has no reason to be here.

Nor do you.  Did you ever stop and think that this is his career, his livelihood, and his future up in the air, and maybe he just feels more comfortable discussing it face to face.  I'm no Luongo fan, and I want him gone as fast as posibble.  But "sabotage"?  hardly.

Edited by dorrcoq, 06 September 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#4 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

I love it. Just come play hockey and let things work themselves out. These guys are all his friends, he's still on the team until something happens, and he's hopefully gone into Zen mode.

There's no use bucking the tide. He seems resigned to the situation.

....maybe? popcorn?

#5 Prngr44

Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

From an outsider's point of view, it seems the "media circus" explanation makes the most sense. Out of sight, out of mind takes the pressure off for a little bit. Front and center, there's no avoiding it and you KNOW the media will be in his face day in and day out asking the same question 100 different ways.

Prepare the cliches.
I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

#6 EddieVedder

EddieVedder

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

We were lucky to have this guy don the Nucks jersey. If history remembers Kirk Mclean and Brodeur as fondly as it does, you can bet Luongo will be remembered times 10. Though I believe he'll be dealt, a part of me hopes he is a Nuck in Sept and outplays Schnieder. I want to see what he can do playing with a chip on his shoulder.

#7 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

This guy can do no right, eh?
crapty Octobers: Luongo sucks.
Comes in early to try to avoid crapty October: Luongo is Sabotoging our team!!
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#8 EddieVedder

EddieVedder

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

He's a f**ker? A bit harsh.

Maybe he can see that there is just nothing happening. Maybe it WILL be a tandem. Maybe Gillis wasn't bluffing. My mind is like WTFBRO.

It doesnt matter what he does, guys like this will always think hes trying to screw us over. Leave it to a Nuck fan to believe a goaltender who gave every ounce of his being to this organization for 7 plus seasons would try to intentionally eff the team over.

#9 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,828 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

I love it. Just come play hockey and let things work themselves out. These guys are all his friends, he's still on the team until something happens, and he's hopefully gone into Zen mode.

There's no use bucking the tide. He seems resigned to the situation.

....maybe? popcorn?

This sounds more likely than him trying to force a trade through a media circus or to get here early to have meetings with Gillis.

This week, there have been at least a number of prospects showing up, and the rest of the team will start to filter in if they aren't here already. Luongo had a worse start to his season last year than he normally does, so it'd make sense he'd try to comme in and get a little more prepared with game-type situations to get his reads down earlier.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#10 Templeton Peck

Templeton Peck

Faceman

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

http://forum.canucks...-all-news-here/

http://forum.canucks...iscussion-here/
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please read the Board Rules.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.