The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Resident Evil 6

Strawberries

Not necessarily boring as much as it is unpolished and constantly faces an identity crisis.

It totally goes in the other direction of survival horror... I... I don't even know where to begin.

If you were expecting something on par, or even close to on par with re4, even 5, you'll be sadly disappointed.

I don't know what this is. I really... Don't....

I advise finding a red box and renting it.

I thought the demo was alright, and I picked up the game on Tuesday. Yet to start it though, I might tonight. Hope it turns out better then I'm expecting

The game's alright.

Me and my buddy were kind of laughing more than anything though, which isn't a good sign for an action/horror....

What bugs the hell out of me though is when random cars just come flying out of no where, and you insta die.

Who the hell thought that would be a good idea?

It's not like it's fun. Like, oh "here's that part where the car appears out of no where and you can't avoid it and die!" - "Oh man, I love that part".

not a fan of the camera distance. It's way to close to the players. I liked the camera a little farther back or even having a room that doesnt move while you run through it. To me, that's what RE franchise is supposed to be like.

• 6 months later...

Played Leon's first chapter today and it was a horrible (not horror) experience. So many things went wrong from start to finish.

The introduction is downright boring and the game is too damn dark even if you turn the in-game brightness way up. The only thing that lights up the screen is the character's glowing hair. Then there is the overused context-sensitive feature which happens even before you get to control your character. Using a quick time event as you try to pry open a door is just plain stpuid when you are neither on the run or under any pressure whatsoever. I mean the door is not gonna slap you silly or something if you mess up the timing.

There are also problems with the combat. The guns feel underwhelmed and it takes two clips of your precious ammo just to down an ememy (on normal difficulty). It wouldn't be such a big deal if taking headshots is a viable option. But Leon aims a 9mm like a ???? drunk and the shots hit anywhere but the center even if the laser dot was right on the skull when you fired the shot. When you finally land a headshot, the enemy slaps his head back so dramatically you would think they are getting high-sticked or something. A follow-up shot to the head is impossible.

Now, since enemies can crawl attack, leap attack, fire a gun, and spew/throw crap at you, Capcom thought it would be only fair if you can finally move and aim at the same time. But what good is that if you are always fighting in dark, confined spaces with a crappy over-the-shoulder camera? Then when you occasionally fight in an open area, they send trains, SWAT vans, bikes and shopping carts to run you over. Capcom, seriously?

Just to spice things up a little, they give you like half a dozen of health items in the first 10 minutes when literally nothing happens and then none at all in the next 50 where you get mauled by scores of superzombies. They also give you like a dozen of incendiary grenades which do worthless damage and take forever to set off. Remote bombs are fine, but who the frack is gonna plant them ahead when you basically travel in a straight line with little backtracking.

The leveling system sucks too. Why the hell do I have to wait for each dead enemy to de-spawn to see if there are "skill points" that I need to pick up. Picking up gold for purchase and upgrade is fine logically (not that I like pressing a button each time to pick up a piece of gold), but skill points? The skill descriptions are so vague it feels like many steps backward from the awesome weapon upgrade system in the previous games. "Firearm lvl.1: Slightly increases firearm power"!?!

And I hate my partner Agent Whats-her-name for reviving me with just a silver of health time after time when I could just die and re-load with full health. In fact, I hate everybody in the game so far, and them damn corpses that tripped me over and over.

/rant

Played Leon's first chapter today and it was a horrible (not horror) experience. So many things went wrong from start to finish.

The introduction is downright boring and the game is too damn dark even if you turn the in-game brightness way up. The only thing that lights up the screen is the character's glowing hair. Then there is the overused context-sensitive feature which happens even before you get to control your character. Using a quick time event as you try to pry open a door is just plain stpuid when you are neither on the run or under any pressure whatsoever. I mean the door is not gonna slap you silly or something if you mess up the timing.

There are also problems with the combat. The guns feel underwhelmed and it takes two clips of your precious ammo just to down an ememy (on normal difficulty). It wouldn't be such a big deal if taking headshots is a viable option. But Leon aims a 9mm like a ???? drunk and the shots hit anywhere but the center even if the laser dot was right on the skull when you fired the shot. When you finally land a headshot, the enemy slaps his head back so dramatically you would think they are getting high-sticked or something. A follow-up shot to the head is impossible.

Now, since enemies can crawl attack, leap attack, fire a gun, and spew/throw crap at you, Capcom thought it would be only fair if you can finally move and aim at the same time. But what good is that if you are always fighting in dark, confined spaces with a crappy over-the-shoulder camera? Then when you occasionally fight in an open area, they send trains, SWAT vans, bikes and shopping carts to run you over. Capcom, seriously?

Just to spice things up a little, they give you like half a dozen of health items in the first 10 minutes when literally nothing happens and then none at all in the next 50 where you get mauled by scores of superzombies. They also give you like a dozen of incendiary grenades which do worthless damage and take forever to set off. Remote bombs are fine, but who the frack is gonna plant them ahead when you basically travel in a straight line with little backtracking.

The leveling system sucks too. Why the hell do I have to wait for each dead enemy to de-spawn to see if there are "skill points" that I need to pick up. Picking up gold for purchase and upgrade is fine logically (not that I like pressing a button each time to pick up a piece of gold), but skill points? The skill descriptions are so vague it feels like many steps backward from the awesome weapon upgrade system in the previous games. "Firearm lvl.1: Slightly increases firearm power"!?!

And I hate my partner Agent Whats-her-name for reviving me with just a silver of health time after time when I could just die and re-load with full health. In fact, I hate everybody in the game so far, and them damn corpses that tripped me over and over.

/rant

I was just playing through Leon's second chapter. The crates in between the two fights that saw 60+ or so zombies chasing after you in the graveyard maze and in the cathedral courtyard gave me a whopping 15 handgun ammo and two incendiary grenades. Unbelievable, considering that I had to unload 15+ shotgun rounds in point blank range to down some of the enemies.

Just so you know, you're playing what is probably the best part of the game right now... so yeah, lol. Prepare to be underwhelmed going forward. Chapter 2 and 3 were are at the same level. Then 4 and 5 are just different levels of worse. And then Chris' campaign sucks in every aspect.

I honestly didn't hate chapters 1-3 of Leon's campaign, but I've hated pretty much everything else. Still need to see how Jake's campaign picks up after the first chapter with the nemsis monster.

RE6 took another step in the RE5 direction. It's a pure action game now - except that it's slowly paced and full of QTE's. Quite disappointed, but I'm not really surprised after RE5.

Didn't play co-op, so I can't really comment if that improved the experience. I'm guessing it didn't.

Archived