51 replies to this topic

#1 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

Glendale voters will have a say on the city's sales-tax hike.

The Arizona Supreme Court on Wednesday decided not to review a recent state appeals court ruling that placed the initiative back on the November ballot.

Posted Image Court's ruling

City elections officials initially rejected the initiative, but an appeals court sided with initiative supporters.

If voters approve the initiative, some city leaders say it could devastate the budget-strapped city.
In June, the Glendale City Council had approved the increase to add about $20 million to city coffers and avoid severe cuts. The increase, which took effect Aug. 1, would help the city cover an arena management payment to the Phoenix Coyotes' likely buyer.

The initiative puts the issue before voters, who must decide whether they are willing to pay a 2.9 city percent sales tax on most city purchases. Before the city council approved the increase, that city sales tax rate was 2.2 percent.

With Maricopa County and state sales taxes included, shoppers in Glendale already pay a total of 10.2 percent on purchases. That's among the highest sales tax rates in the Valley.

The city had rejected the petitions submitted by the anti-sales-tax group called Save Glendale Now, saying the measure was misleading because an initiative could not reverse the council's vote to increase the tax.

Save Glendale Now sued in hopes of getting the measure back on the ballot. A Maricopa County Superior Court judge ruled in favor of Glendale, but a three-judge appellate panel said that the issue should appear on the November ballot.

The state supreme court decided Wednesday that it would not review the latter ruling, which means the appeals court ruling stands.

Read more: http://www.azcentral...l#ixzz25kTI8aAR

An appeals court in Arizona ruled yesterday that the sales tax initiative will in fact be voted upon by tax payers. And there is a strong sense that it will be voted down.

Therefore without this tax increase, the city of Glendale will not be able to afford to pay Jamison his 20 year $300 million lease agreement, and the deal could very well fall apart.

So for everyone saying, damn we missed out on Doan. Hold your horses. This thing is far from being over.

#2 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

A glimmer of hope!
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 Honeydews

Honeydews

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

POPULAR

at this point I dont even care. All I care about is having a NHL season this year.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to pwnstar for this amazing kesler sig :)

#4 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

A glimmer of hope!

I would say it`s more than a glimmer. This thing could drag on a long time.

Even if the NHL has approved a sale to Jamison, the city of Glendale still has to finalize the lease agreement; which they were already starting to get cold feet about. And now add the fact that the voters will likely strike down the sales tax increase that was meant to help pay Jamison, and you`ll see that this thing could very well drag on.

Jamison has already said that he won`t purchase the team until a lease agreement is in place. And the city will not likely agree to a lease agreement until they know the results of the sales tax initiative. And finally Doan won`t sign with the Coyotes until an owner is in place, and has said he`ll move on if it doesn`t happen by the 15th.

So as you can see, there`s definitely some hope.

#5 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

Welcome to VanCity Shane!

:towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:
Posted Image

#6 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Welcome to VanCity Shane!

:towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:

:lol:

I wouldn`t go that far. Doan`s loyalty has proven to be unflappable.

But to those thinking that finalizing the sale will be smooth sailing, when it`s been anything but that, I present you this.

The phoenix saga has been full of ups and downs, and this could very well be another down on the horizon.

Edited by D-Bo7, 06 September 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#7 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,435 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Just fold Phoenix and the Islanders and have a dispersal draft.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#8 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,386 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

That's what I hope happens. If it did I'd love to get Antoine Vermette as our third line center.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#9 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

at this point I dont even care. All I care about is having a NHL season this year.

This

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#10 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

Even if the season starts on time, which doesn't seem likely at this point, Doan will likely go back on his word of signing before September 15.

...and to be honest, do we really want Doan if his heart is still with Phoenix?

#11 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

Even if the season starts on time, which doesn't seem likely at this point, Doan will likely go back on his word of signing before September 15.

Completely agree with you on both points

Edited by CanuckianOne, 06 September 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#12 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

I don't agree. I think he's firm on signing by the 15th.

If he doesn't under the old CBA, it could mean him losing out on alot of money. And as Doan has said himself, family comes first, which means money and stability. Neither of which he could guarantee if this thing drags on past the 15th.

#13 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

..and to be honest, do we really want Doan if his heart is still with Phoenix?

Doan seems like he has a lot of integrity. I have little doubt that he'll be loyal to, and hard-working for, whoever signs him to his last and best megabuck deal.

#14 mrsoshicanuck

mrsoshicanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

Does anybody else here not want Doan anymore?
http://www.gifsoup.com/

#15 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

Does anybody else here not want Doan anymore?

If we don't get Doan, that means we'll have to go the trade route, because right now our top 6 is not gonna cut it.

That means giving up valuable young assets that will leave big holes for us in the future.

So yea, I want Doan.

#16 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

I really havent been following this 'sale' issue what-so-ever. someone want to give me a quick summary?
People were putting a petition together or something?

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#17 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

I really havent been following this 'sale' issue what-so-ever. someone want to give me a quick summary?
People were putting a petition together or something?

There's been alot of issues during this whole saga.

The biggest and most reported on one was that Jamison didn't have the finances in place to buy and operate the team. That issue has obviously been settled now that he has brought Ice Edge holdings into the fold.

The second biggest issue, and the one that is the most detrimental to the team being sold is the lease agreement. The city of Glendale approved a 20 year $300 million lease agreement with Jamison, however they never actually signed anything yet, therefore it is not finalized.

The city council is having cold feet now because the money that was supposed to cover paying Jamison 15 million dollars a year to operate the arena, might not be available. Basically the lease agreement was approved when the city believed that there would be a sales tax increase.

There was a petition that was submitted by the people of Glendale to stop the sales tax increase, but it was rejected by the city. However now because of a ruling by a court of appeals and a supreme court, that sales tax increase will be voted on by the public, and will likely be shot down. Thereby making it so that the city doesn't have the funds to pay Jamison to operate the arena.

There's also an election coming up in Glendale where this will definitely be a hot topic. So you better believe that in true political fashion, they'll take their time with this to make sure they don't lose voters. The city of Glendale is in big trouble now financially, and the last thing the people there wanna do is bankrupt their city for a team that the majority of the population doesn't even care about.

Edited by D-Bo7, 06 September 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#18 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

There's been alot of issues during this whole saga.

The biggest and most reported on one was that Jamison didn't have the finances in place to buy and operate the team. That issue has obviously been settled now that he has brought Ice Edge holdings into the fold.

The second biggest issue, and the one that is the most detrimental to the team being sold is the lease agreement. The city of Glendale approved a 20 year $300 million lease agreement with Jamison, however they never actually signed anything yet, therefore it is not finalized.

The city council is having cold feet now because the money that was supposed to cover paying Jamison 15 million dollars a year to operate the arena, might not be available. Basically the lease agreement was approved when the city believed that there would be a sales tax increase.

There was a petition that was submitted by the people of Glendale to stop the sales tax increase, but it was rejected by the city. However now because of a ruling by a court of appeals and a supreme court, that sales tax increase will be voted on by the public, and will likely be shot down. Thereby making it so that the city doesn't have the funds to pay Jamison to operate the arena.

There's also an election coming up in Glendale where this will definitely be a hot topic. So you better believe that in true political fashion, they'll take their time with this to make sure they don't lose voters. The city of Glendale is in big trouble now financially, and the last thing the people there wanna do is bankrupt their city for a team that the majority of the population doesn't even care about.

Fantastic explanation, thank you very much.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#19 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Yes! 28 teams. 4 conference. 7 teams each!

Play teams outside your conference twice a year. 21 teams X 2 games = 42 games.
Play teams in your conference 6 times a year. 6 teams X 6 games = 36 games.
78 Game Regular Season.

I'm dreaming, I know.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#20 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

[/background][/left][/color]

An appeals court in Arizona ruled yesterday that the sales tax initiative will in fact be voted upon by tax payers. And there is a strong sense that it will be voted down.

Therefore without this tax increase, the city of Glendale will not be able to afford to pay Jamison his 20 year $300 million lease agreement, and the deal could very well fall apart.

So for everyone saying, damn we missed out on Doan. Hold your horses. This thing is far from being over.

This thing will never be over. Back to you Gary!

#21 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

78 Game Regular Season.

I'm dreaming, I know.

I dont think I would like this all that much. Not because its not a good system... its much better then the one we currently have. But I wouldnt want only 78 games played. Less hockey, harder for players to break records, etc.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#22 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,330 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

That's what I hope happens. If it did I'd love to get Antoine Vermette as our third line center.

All the young talent on both those teams and Vermette is the guy who gets you excited at the thought of a dispersal draft? No Tavares, O.E.L., Okoposo, Yandle, etc?

Anyway, I do have serious doubts Jamieson will want to sign off on actually having purchased the team without more assurances in place on the lease agreement. It probably passes the Sept 15 lockout date for that reason and means Doan will likely have signed a deal rather than wait yet again. Maybe one or the other (or both) take a chance an go ahead, but I think this drags on without positive outcomes for Phoenix ownership.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#23 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

Jamison is NOT going to get this done by the 15th, not with Glendale City having second thoughts over their lease agreement with the Coyotes. Some of these politicians are wanting to get re-elected this fall, and by throwing $25M a year at this dead horse, they most certainly won't get back in. Thus, this gives Doan a window to get out of this hand-shake deal, nothing is signed, and continue negotiating with teams that are still interested. At 4yrs/21M, he would be well within the Canucks pay schedule.

#24 Te@m1040

Te@m1040

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

YUP ^^^^^^^^

In reply to the topic, i don't get how investors would want to invest into a team that doesn't make any profit. And god forbid we have a lock out. Try and recover from that one. no way.

#25 JesseBlue

JesseBlue

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

78 Game Regular Season.

I'm dreaming, I know.

next thing you know, they'll fold three teams and that would put majority of cdc's math skills to the test...lol

#26 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,386 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

All the young talent on both those teams and Vermette is the guy who gets you excited at the thought of a dispersal draft? No Tavares, O.E.L., Okoposo, Yandle, etc?

Yes I would love to get all of those guys. But I'm just saying if all those other players were taken and Vermette was available at our pick I would take him.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#27 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:04 AM

Looks like Doan will be a free agent, and locked out.

What a double-whammy.

#28 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

yah, i'd rather enjoy watching a doanless season than no season at all

Posted Image

#29 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

screw you all

i still want doan

you losers whine all year for signings and then when you have to wait you just give up

get the fudge outta here
Posted Image

#30 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,386 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

screw you all

i still want doan

you losers whine all year for signings and then when you have to wait you just give up

get the fudge outta here

This couldn't be more true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.