POPULAR

After the 2009 draft our top forward prospects were as follows:

1. Cody Hodgson 6'0, 185lbs
2. Michael Grabner 6'1, 177 lbs
3. Sergei Shirokov 5'10, 185lbs
4. Jordan Schroeder 5'9, 180lbs
5. Anton Rodin 6'0, 175lbs
6. Patrick White 6'0 198lbs

Not to mention most of the depth guys were also tiny (Rai, Bliznak, Matson etc.)

Fast forward to after the 2011 draft...

1. Zack Kassian 6'3 213 lbs
2. Nicklas Jensen 6'3 186 lbs
3. Brendan Gaunce 6'2 205lbs
4. Jordan Schroeder 5'9, 180lbs
5. Alexandre Mallet 6'1 194
6. Anton Rodin 6'0, 175lbs
7. Joseph Labate 6'4 194lbs

Not to mention we have a few big project guys as well
1. Alexandre Grenier 6'5 200lbs
2. Ludwig Blomstrand 6'1 215lbs
3. Wesley Myron 6'2 190lbs
4. Matthew Beatie 6'3 175lbs
5. Darren Archibald 6'3 212 lbs

Before we didn't have anyone over 6'0 and at least 180lbs except for Kablukov, Anthony and Froshaug who were all long shots with very little NHL potential. Now we have 5 guys who fit the bill with great NHL potential and 5 project guys who in my opinion look much more promising than Kablukov/Anthony/Froshaug did a few years ago.

Gillis has done a great job bringing in size and forward depth, even though many of these guys are projects.

Edited by canucklehead44, 06 September 2012 - 10:30 PM.

Sig too big.

#2 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

Lack should be listed amoung our top prospects. He's 6'5 almost 6'6.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

i'm happy with the look of our "size-guys" going forward. hard to say who will actually make the bigs but at least the wolves will have some beasts in the lineup.

edit:

Lack should be listed amoung our top prospects. He's 6'5 almost 6'6.

totally agree with this. lack is a monster. takes up so much net it's not surprising he's such a good net minder. of course not only for that reason....

Edited by MC Fatigue, 06 September 2012 - 10:48 PM.

" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#4 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

i'm happy with the look of our "size-guys" going forward. hard to say who will actually make the bigs but at least the wolves will have some beasts in the lineup.

edit:

totally agree with this. lack is a monster. takes up so much net it's not surprising he's such a good net minder. of course not only for that reason....

I think Lack is our number 1 prospect and along with Kassian make up our two "blue-chip" guys. I think Lack will be Pekke Rinnesque, pushing Schneider out of town in 3 years.
Sig too big.

#5 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

LOL watch after the canucks get some size in their line up to make their team better suited for the playoffs the nhl will just change the way they officiate again and we'll get shredded by some speedy skilled teams.

#6 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

POPULAR

ohlund 6'4 230lbs
mitchell 6'3 210
SOB 6'3 230
Salo 6'3 215
edler 6'3 215
bieksa 6'1 205
hordichuk 6'2 212
kesler 6'2 205
bernier 6'3 220
pyatt 6'4 230
sundin 6'5 230

We had plenty of size in 08-09 but got rolled on by chicago and their speed and skill.
When we went to the cup final we had a team built on skill and speed but lacked the size and when the refs put their whistles away we got steamrolled by boston.
What im trying to get at is that it doesnt matter if we get bigger players when the nhl just keep changing the way they call the games.

#7 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

Problem is, we are losing a LOT of talent and skill for this size.

Hodgson - 20 goal scorer in his rookie season, he's going PPG potential and he'll probably reach it within the next 2 seasons.
Grabner - 30 goal scorer, one of the fastest skaters in the league and would have been deadly on a contending team.
Schroeder - soon to be NHLer, maybe a year off but he is very close.
Shirokov - probably one of the most understood players, AV pretty much ruined this guy who was full of talent.

Now look at what we have instead of these skilled guys (who were making an impact at the NHL level)

Kassian - 4th liner to full-time press box filler. Potential to be a top-6 forward but he's far off it.
Jensen - Lots of potential, I personally believe he'll be on the team next season but still nothing but 4 AHL goals to show for.
Archibald - Full-time AHLer

These guys may be big, but we're sacrificing some NHL-level talent for it. Gaunce and Jensen do look like they have NHL-level talent, but we'll have to wait and see.
Posted Image

#8 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

Hodgson - 20 goal scorer in his rookie season, he's going PPG potential and he'll probably reach it within the next 2 seasons.
Grabner - 30 goal scorer, one of the fastest skaters in the league and would have been deadly on a contending team.
Shirokov - probably one of the most understood players, AV pretty much ruined this guy who was full of talent.

Now look at what we have instead of these skilled guys (who were making an impact at the NHL level)

Kassian - 4th liner to full-time press box filler. Potential to be a top-6 forward but he's far off it.
Jensen - Lots of potential, I personally believe he'll be on the team next season but still nothing but 4 AHL goals to show for.

These guys may be big, but we're sacrificing some NHL-level talent for it. Gaunce and Jensen do look like they have NHL-level talent, but we'll have to wait and see.

:rolleyes:

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#9 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:07 AM

ohlund 6'4 230lbs
mitchell 6'3 210
SOB 6'3 230
Salo 6'3 215
edler 6'3 215
bieksa 6'1 205
hordichuk 6'2 212
kesler 6'2 205
bernier 6'3 220
pyatt 6'4 230
sundin 6'5 230

We had plenty of size in 08-09 but got rolled on by chicago and their speed and skill.
When we went to the cup final we had a team built on skill and speed but lacked the size and when the refs put their whistles away we got steamrolled by boston.
What im trying to get at is that it doesnt matter if we get bigger players when the nhl just keep changing the way they call the games.

#10 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

LOL watch after the canucks get some size in their line up to make their team better suited for the playoffs the nhl will just change the way they officiate again and we'll get shredded by some speedy skilled teams.

Gillis's philosophy is that hockey IQ and character are number 1, and any lacking characteristic like skating, strength, and skill can be worked on later.

I think he's managed to draft players with a package of all of those things for the most part.

#11 knucklebones

knucklebones

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

I think that next year, if there is one, the cup will go to the small, speedy, skilled team. The league will do this in order to cut down on concussions and protect their assets ei. Crosby, Ovetchkin, Sedin etc. Without these players in the forefront there will be no superstars, just a bunch of slow skating thugs. Superstars are the ones that sell the game, they make pretty goals. If you are listening Gillis, " don't sell out the teams' speed and skill !" It will pay off next season and for many seasons after that. Keep the size in the defensive core that is where it counts.

#12 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

I think that next year, if there is one, the cup will go to the small, speedy, skilled team. The league will do this in order to cut down on concussions and protect their assets ei. Crosby, Ovetchkin, Sedin etc. Without these players in the forefront there will be no superstars, just a bunch of slow skating thugs. Superstars are the ones that sell the game, they make pretty goals. If you are listening Gillis, " don't sell out the teams' speed and skill !" It will pay off next season and for many seasons after that. Keep the size in the defensive core that is where it counts.

I doubt it. I've never really understood the Skill vs. Size arguement. Of course it won't take 50% skill and 50% size/toughness, but as long as their is a decent balance to the point where you can adjust your game for any style of opponent, you're set. I think it will continue to be skill+size/toughness wins the cup. Throughout the entire lineup that's what you need.

#13 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

ohlund 6'4 230lbs
mitchell 6'3 210
SOB 6'3 230
Salo 6'3 215
edler 6'3 215
bieksa 6'1 205
hordichuk 6'2 212
kesler 6'2 205
bernier 6'3 220
pyatt 6'4 230
sundin 6'5 230

Nailed it

#14 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

I doubt it. I've never really understood the Skill vs. Size arguement. Of course it won't take 50% skill and 50% size/toughness, but as long as their is a decent balance to the point where you can adjust your game for any style of opponent, you're set. I think it will continue to be skill+size/toughness wins the cup. Throughout the entire lineup that's what you need.

I agree balance is the key...There are big players that are talented we need that balance now! while the Sedins are still performing at an elite level...

We need some one that is big and talented on the first and second line....Just to make more room for the twins and second line...

Atleast to have the personnel at your disposal during the season and second season [playoffs] which we all know is different and

has been for years then the regular season.

Ready I Ready Balance size and skill = SC : )

#15 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

ohlund 6'4 230lbs
mitchell 6'3 210
SOB 6'3 230
Salo 6'3 215
edler 6'3 215
bieksa 6'1 205
hordichuk 6'2 212
kesler 6'2 205
bernier 6'3 220
pyatt 6'4 230
sundin 6'5 230

more than half of that list are slow, unphysical Dmen
of the forwards half were 4th liners
Sundin was awash and so really that leaves Kesler @ 202lbs.
your point is ok, but getting so very, very old. Size does matter unless youre a team of Tootoos and the like.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#16 Chivas

Chivas

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Obviously, we would rather have big skilled players, than small skilled players. It will be interesting to see how Kassian develops when hockey starts again. He definitely looks belligerent enough, and some decent skills, that could be very effective in the playoffs. Time will tell.

#17 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

1. Cody Hodgson, C (8.5C) VS Zack Kassian (7.0B)
AHL: Hodgson 17G 13A 52 Games .58ppg
AHL: Kassian 15G 11A 26 Games .87ppg
NHL: Hodgson 1G 2A 20 Games .15ppg
NHL: Kassian 4G 6A 44 Games .23ppg

Zack Kassian actually had a much more productive first pro season. While I still give Hodgson the edge in offensive ability, Kassian has a rare blend of size, speed, and physicality that is hard to come by. Who would you rather have: Ryan Clowe or David Krejci? While Krejci is arguably the better player, I'd take Clowe on this team - especially with Hank and Kes at Centre.

3. Michael Grabner, RW (7.5C) vs Nicklas Jensen (7.5C)
Nicklas Jensen is a more complete player, whereas Grabner is a sniper/speedster. I'd consider Jensen to be Grabner with size in terms of value. Grabner did take a long time to come around and took a step back last year. I don't have a hard time seeing Jensen become a 20G/30A guy and Grabner a 30G/20A guy.

4. Jordan Schroeder, C (7.5C)
5. Anton Rodin, RW (7.0C)
6. Sergei Shirokov, LW (7.0C) vs Brendan Gaunce
Very different players. Shirokov was a boom or bust talent with a lot of question marks. Gaunce looks like he has a great foundation and with the way he plays I think he is a sure thing to play in the NHL in some capacity. While Shirokov had some slick skills that Gaunce doesn't have, don't count out Gaunce's offensive ability. A ppg in the OHL is a pretty good offensive output for a guy who is in his first year of eligibility.
7. Steven Anthony, LW (7.0C) vs Joseph Labate
This one isn't even close. Anthony was a decent player in junior but only hit the 20 goal mark once. Labate played very well as a rookie in a great college program. Anthony had size but wasn't THAT big, or overly physical.
11. Prab Rai, C (6.5C) vs Alex Mallet
Again, not even close. Rai had some skills but was one of those guys who I thought would never make it to the NHL. Mallet showed he can score in his last year of junior, but more importantly, he hits and fights. I think Mallet is a lock to make the NHL although he has 10-15 goal upside.
12. Mario Bliznak, C (6.0B) vs Alexandre Grenier
I consider Grenier a rich man's Anthony. Bliznak was an undersized defensive forward who wasn't overly physical. Grenier is a project but has an intriguing combo of size and skill.
14. Ilja Kablukov, C (6.5D) vs Alex Friesen
Again no contest. Kablukov is a mediore player with little to no chance of hopping the pond. Friesen is a rich man's Bliznak (more offensive potential and grit).
Sig too big.

#18 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

Yeah. But, we did lose some immediate skill. I think we can be a tough team to play against, but we do need some goals being scored which was our problems.

I sure hope we try to steal Shirokov back, he looked like he was ready to take off.
Posted Image

#19 hockeyking

hockeyking

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

You do know that Grabner has only scored 30 goals once and is a one dimensional players also is god awful on defense and passes even less than Kesler and is a perimeter player like Raymond.

Edited by hockeyking, 07 September 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#20 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

your point is ok, but getting so very, very old. Size does matter unless youre a team of Tootoos and the like.

Ohlund, Mitchell, Bieksa, SOB and Edler are unphysical?
And don't discredit a lot of those players as just fourth liners, many of them played on our 3rd line. That's not to say they are very skilled, which is why MG slowly acquired more skilled and large players who had a more complete package, like Torres, Malhotra, Hamhuis, Ballard, Lapierre, Higgins, Booth, Kassian, Gaunce, etc. That sounds like getting larger and more physical to me, while also getting more skilled. That is not as easy as it sounds.
Oh and if we are going on size, on average the Canucks were larger than the Bruins, so size was not an issue as some think it was. And I wouldn't question the Canucks physicality either, if you watch the games, the hits were going both ways. But remember the Canucks were burned on their penalties in games 3 and 4, and those games were disasters. We tried to fight back, and got burned.
What about against LA? We didn't get manhandled the way some people seem to believe. If you watched the first couple games, we were physical, but we got burned for it in penalties, so we scaled back. But physicality was not the problem again, goals were.
I could go on, but I've said enough for one post.

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#21 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

Jensen - Lots of potential, I personally believe he'll be on the team next season but still nothing but 4 AHL goals to show for. Yeah, but those 4 goals were scored in 6 games - then he went on to get two more in two AHL playoff games.

#22 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,810 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

Oh, I can taste the ribbing but ...

I thought that was our best team? For all the crape Lou gets blamed on, he was far from clutch which was perhaps the biggest factor in that series. It was the one time critique was honestly justified?

We also had depth speed (Burrows, Raymond) and talent (Demitra).

ohlund 6'4 230lbs
mitchell 6'3 210
SOB 6'3 230
Salo 6'3 215
edler 6'3 215
bieksa 6'1 205
hordichuk 6'2 212
kesler 6'2 205
bernier 6'3 220
pyatt 6'4 230
sundin 6'5 230

#23 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

What's all the fuss about?

Obviously, we would rather have big skilled players, than small skilled players. It will be interesting to see how Kassian develops when hockey starts again. He definitely looks belligerent enough, and some decent skills, that could be very effective in the playoffs. Time will tell.

Guys are talking as if MG traded away St. Louis for Penner just to get size....read the Bolded; we have way bigger prospects than before and they all have skill still . Again, guys are talking like our big guys have 0 skill and are John Scott's who float around on the ice...a year ago: we're too small, get bigger, gotta adapt to the league...now: we're too big and the bigs guys have no skill (for some unexplained reason?).

Pathetic....MG's made our prospects from pretenders to contenders. Heck, if you like being small so much, ask Montreal how its worked out for them LOL :P Gillis has turned a corner with our young guns and it's been everything but bad for us.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#24 That Commentator

That Commentator

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Here's a list for you:

1. Overall, you're dramatically overstating the value of the "then" players.
2. Overall, you're understating the "now".
3. We still have Schroeder, yet you only list him as a "then" prospect.
4. How do you include Archibald in your list, who's never been considered one of our top prospects, but leave off someone like Gaunce (who's apparently just a footnote)?
5. You cite one productive season from Grabner (which is not even his most recent season), yet he had nowhere near enough motivation to get there when he was with the Canucks. We also did not trade him for another prospect... he was included in a trade because he was clearly not going to be a meaningful piece in the Canucks organization.
6. No comments on defensive ability? I guess that shouldn't be such a surprise with such a horribly biased comparison.

#25 kesler'sselke

kesler'sselke

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

ohlund 6'4 230lbs
mitchell 6'3 210
SOB 6'3 230
Salo 6'3 215
edler 6'3 215
bieksa 6'1 205
hordichuk 6'2 212
kesler 6'2 205
bernier 6'3 220
pyatt 6'4 230
sundin 6'5 230

Ya we were big but we are not physical and mobile... out of all those player i just want willie to be back. Jensen, Kassian, and Gaunce are not only big but fast as well and they are skilled. We got a balanced blend of size, speed, skill in our top three forward prospect so i dont see what the problem is.

#26 Herberts Vasiljevs

Herberts Vasiljevs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

1. Cody Hodgson, C (8.5C) VS Zack Kassian (7.0B)
AHL: Hodgson 17G 13A 52 Games .58ppg
AHL: Kassian 15G 11A 26 Games .87ppg
NHL: Hodgson 1G 2A 20 Games .15ppg
NHL: Kassian 4G 6A 44 Games .23ppg

Zack Kassian actually had a much more productive first pro season. While I still give Hodgson the edge in offensive ability, Kassian has a rare blend of size, speed, and physicality that is hard to come by. Who would you rather have: Ryan Clowe or David Krejci? While Krejci is arguably the better player, I'd take Clowe on this team - especially with Hank and Kes at Centre.

3. Michael Grabner, RW (7.5C) vs Nicklas Jensen (7.5C)
Nicklas Jensen is a more complete player, whereas Grabner is a sniper/speedster. I'd consider Jensen to be Grabner with size in terms of value. Grabner did take a long time to come around and took a step back last year. I don't have a hard time seeing Jensen become a 20G/30A guy and Grabner a 30G/20A guy.

4. Jordan Schroeder, C (7.5C)
5. Anton Rodin, RW (7.0C)
6. Sergei Shirokov, LW (7.0C) vs Brendan Gaunce
Very different players. Shirokov was a boom or bust talent with a lot of question marks. Gaunce looks like he has a great foundation and with the way he plays I think he is a sure thing to play in the NHL in some capacity. While Shirokov had some slick skills that Gaunce doesn't have, don't count out Gaunce's offensive ability. A ppg in the OHL is a pretty good offensive output for a guy who is in his first year of eligibility.
7. Steven Anthony, LW (7.0C) vs Joseph Labate
This one isn't even close. Anthony was a decent player in junior but only hit the 20 goal mark once. Labate played very well as a rookie in a great college program. Anthony had size but wasn't THAT big, or overly physical.
11. Prab Rai, C (6.5C) vs Alex Mallet
Again, not even close. Rai had some skills but was one of those guys who I thought would never make it to the NHL. Mallet showed he can score in his last year of junior, but more importantly, he hits and fights. I think Mallet is a lock to make the NHL although he has 10-15 goal upside.
12. Mario Bliznak, C (6.0B) vs Alexandre Grenier
I consider Grenier a rich man's Anthony. Bliznak was an undersized defensive forward who wasn't overly physical. Grenier is a project but has an intriguing combo of size and skill.
14. Ilja Kablukov, C (6.5D) vs Alex Friesen
Again no contest. Kablukov is a mediore player with little to no chance of hopping the pond. Friesen is a rich man's Bliznak (more offensive potential and grit).

You've pretty much nailed your take on the "Hodgson vs. Kassian" part of your post, especially because you've noticed Zack Kassian is one year younger than Cody Hodgson is. I've been trying to tell all my friends this at school, but they're just a bunch of whiny Hodgson "boner huggers" who can't yet or ever will accept his departure.

When you compare the stats of their first two pro seasons, yes, Zack Kassian's numbers were better by a long shot, but if you wanted to make an argument about it then you can say that Cody Hodgson's development was hampered by his early back problems. I believe that Zack Kassian has all of the fundamentals to be one of the better power forwards in the league. His size, speed, skill and mean streak make him such a rare breed of a player. David Backes, Johan Franzen and of course Todd Bertuzzi all took a while before they made their mark as true all-star power forwards, and Zack Kassian's only 21. One of the only power forwards that I can think of that didn't take too long to flourish in the NHL was Milan Lucic a few years back.

Zack Kassian was excellent for the Buffalo Sabres last year, and especially in the AHL for the Portland Pirates. The Vancouver Canucks were the third professional team that he'd played for in just three quarters of a season. He had to move to the other side of the continent, play in a different conference against different teams, and having to buy into the Canucks system that's different from Buffalo's.

Conditioning was the main thing that separated Zack Kassian from the rest of the players on the Canucks roster, which is why I think players like Maxim Lapierre and even Byron Bitz were better with the Sedins than Kassian was, even though that Kassian arguably has an even better skill-set than both of those players. Zack Kassian has put a lot of work into his conditioning during the off-season, and that is something that the Vancouver Canucks' organization have been very keen on getting him to improve.

Now that Zack Kassian's been with the Vancouver Canucks for several months now and that he's really taken his conditioning to another level, whenever hockey starts back up again, I believe that he'll be one of the even bigger surprises on this team.

Cheers.

Edited by I'm Brick Tamland, 09 September 2012 - 01:17 PM.

oif7li.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuckfor the awesome sig!

#27 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

Yes that's why we got burned by Chicago 2 years in a row. GMMG tried to remedy this by acquiring mobile puck moving defensemen like Ehrhoff, Hamhuis and Ballard. We gained speed and skill but lost size and physicality which may have helped in the Boston series. Size only matters if you have speed skill and hockey sense to go with it and those players are hard to come by.
Actually Sundin was one of our better players in the 09 playoffs IMO.

#28 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

So your what you're trying to say is, that Jordan Schroeder hasn't been able to gain a single pound in the last 2 years? Tsk tsk

#29 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,379 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

So your what you're trying to say is, that Jordan Schroeder hasn't been able to gain a single pound in the last 2 years? Tsk tsk

Put him on the Byfuglien diet.

Subbancopy.jpg

#30 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

ohlund 6'4 230lbs
mitchell 6'3 210
SOB 6'3 230
Salo 6'3 215
edler 6'3 215
bieksa 6'1 205
hordichuk 6'2 212
kesler 6'2 205
bernier 6'3 220
pyatt 6'4 230
sundin 6'5 230

This.

You just need to have a good team. Size helps, but it isn't the be-all-end-all. Obviously you need some of it in the lineup but you shouldn't sacrifice everything else just for some size.

I will say this again: we were bigger up front than Boston. So why did we lose?

Injuries.

Skill-first should still be the way to go, I believe.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.