Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Paul McCartney Concert, Fireworks Damaged BC Place Roof

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
115 replies to this topic

#1 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:12 AM

Various local media like CTV and Global are reporting that Paul McCartney may be coming to Vancovuer on Nov. 25. There is a press conference tomorrow morning to confirm it.

Update: It has been confirmed he will perform at BC Place on November 25.

Paul McCartney has not performed in Vancouver since the 1964 tour with the Beatles.

Anyone interested in seeing 1/4 of the Beatles?

Is this an age thing? Like only peoiple over 50 will be interested? That mean the majority of the people on this forum will not be interested in seeing him perform.

Sept. 14 Update: People who want to see Paul McCartney will have to pay through the nose through scalpers as the tickets have been sold out, except for some single seats.

Dec. 4 Update: Local news say BC Place roof was damaged by fireworks used during the concert.

See last page of thread.

Edited by DonLever, 05 December 2012 - 12:40 AM.

#2 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,679 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

Depending on the price, I'd be interested. But I'm sure tickets will run $200 +

qrak1x.jpg

#3 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:20 AM

Wouldn't pay to see Paul McCarthy perform as I don't know who that is. I would give a kidney to go to a Paul McCartney concert though
Why not Zoidberg? (\/)(°,,,°)(\/)

#4 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

Wouldn't pay to see Paul McCarthy perform as I don't know who that is. I would give a kidney to go to a Paul McCartney concert though

Oops! Corrected to McCartney.

#5 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,679 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

Posted Image

qrak1x.jpg

#6 Linden Legend

Linden Legend

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

Its not an age thing. Anybody with any sort of respectable appreciation for music would probably go.

Fyi-I would probably pay any monetary value to get a chance to see him...and Im 26
"He'll play! You know he'll play! He'll play on crutches!"
"Adams shoots...SCORES!!! Greg Adams!!! Greg Adams!!!"
"They've slayed the dragon!!"

#7 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:42 AM

someone told me he died
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for avatar

#8 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:32 AM

Well then, I may buy a ticket.

#9 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Good thing there is wheel chair access. ::D
Posted Image

#10 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

I can't stand Paul, and not just as a musician, but also as a person.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

I'm sure my wife would like to go. On a side note, has anyone seen "love", C d' soliel? Got tickets in Vegas. If they were all alive, a Beatles concert would be larger than anything that could be mustered by any group, anytime. Tickets will be around $200, I paid close to that to see the Eagles.

#12 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

I saw the Beatles in 64 in Van and twice in Seattle in 65 .. I would not go see Paul if they sent a limo to my door .. have you seen him perform lately? .. does the word embarrassing come to mind? .. no? .. OK .. pathetic? .. well then, definitely sad .. :frantic:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#13 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,276 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

I'm definitely not 50 and I'd go see him but my wife will be damn near ready to pop out a couple of twins at that date which means I:

A ) Can't stray too far.
B ) Wouldn't be able to afford even nosebleed tickets (damn babies is expensive yo!)

You only get so many chances to see legends...I'm still kicking myself for missing out on James Brown at the River Rock just before he went tits up :angry:

Edited by J.R., 07 September 2012 - 09:43 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

Good luck JR .. congratz on the babes and try to remember Paul as he was .. not the image etched into your brain of how he is .. botox and a cracking voice do not a legend retain .. :P

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#15 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,276 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

I've actually seen some recent televised performances and if you have some perspective on the matter that he's a 70 year old performer and not this guy:

Posted Image

...he's still pretty good entertainment IMO. Sure his voice is as haggard as he is but he's a 70 FREAKING YEAR OLD ROCK STAR!. I don't expect him to sound 18. He's still one hell of an accomplished musician and performer.

I'm not old enough to have been able to see him live in his prime but him (along with the other three "Fab Four") were some of the most talented and influential artists of the past 100 years. Getting an opportunity to glimpse even a shimmer of that ray of artistic light is not something anyone should easily pass up IMO. Count yourself lucky that you were able to bathe in the full warmth of that light years ago but don't begrudge the rest of us who missed out for attempting to touch some small sliver of it.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

His voice is gone, at least the last two times I saw him on TV it was

Edited by Lockhart, 07 September 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#17 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

I've actually seen some recent televised performances and if you have some perspective on the matter that he's a 70 year old performer and not this guy:

Posted Image

...he's still pretty good entertainment IMO. Sure his voice is as haggard as he is but he's a 70 FREAKING YEAR OLD ROCK STAR!. I don't expect him to sound 18. He's still one hell of an accomplished musician and performer.

I'm not old enough to have been able to see him live in his prime but him (along with the other three "Fab Four") were some of the most talented and influential artists of the past 100 years. Getting an opportunity to glimpse even a shimmer of that ray of artistic light is not something anyone should easily pass up IMO. Count yourself lucky that you were able to bathe in the full warmth of that light years ago but don't begrudge the rest of us who missed out for attempting to touch some small sliver of it.

Enjoy it man .. I will live with my memories .. I am not begrudging anyone anything .. I would no sooner pay to see a pompous arse whose best days were 30 years ago than I would pay to view Lenin's tomb .. but then that is the beauty of this "free" society .. we are free to do what we want AND to have our own opinions, and be free to voice them .. peace on ya ..

This is the Paul that I remember .. :)

#18 LuongoG1

LuongoG1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

Same day as the 100th Grey Cup game. No thanks!

#19 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

Same day as the 100th Grey Cup game. No thanks!

The Grey Cup starts at 3:00 pm and will end by 7:00 pm and the concert will start in the evening. So what is the conflict? Are you going to Toronto to watch the game. There are things like VCRS and PVRS. There is a Grey Cup every year but McCartney does not come every year. I don't think he will be coming back given he is 70 years old.

#20 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

Tickets will be available through Ticketmaster on September 14. Prices will range from $35 to $250.

Prices seem reasonable compared to the Barbara Streisand concert where prices started from $150 to $500.

The problem is the scalpers. How come they manage to get most of the tickets within minutes when the tickets start on sale?

I like to go but the tickets could be sold out in ten minutes like other popular concerts.

http://www.vancouver...7222/story.html

Edited by DonLever, 07 September 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#21 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

i'd pay $35 to sit in the balcony and join the sing-a-long with 50 000 people and be in the same stadium as one of the greatest songwriters and musicians to ever live, certainly.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#22 sinochick

sinochick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

I saw Paul perform 4-5 years ago in Seattle (Key Arena). He really does give a great show. His concerts are 3+ hours and filled with his hits (Beatles, Wings, Solo). I would love to go this show but I don't have any other friends who would want to go/pay to go. I may just decide to get a single ticket closer to the show.

The hilight for me from that Seattle show was when he performed Helter Skelter....and of course, Hey Jude!!!
Hockey: Five guys in garters and stockings looking to score

#23 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

"I would give a kidney to go to a Paul McCartney concert though "

Me too, although it would not be my kidney. ;)

#24 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

Bruce Springsteen is in Vancouver on Nov.26, the day following McCartney concert. There is a chance that they will perform together, which they have done before. So 2 for the price of one.

The only question I have is the availabilty of tickets. They will only have about 40,000 on sale and you know it will be sold out in minutes. Scalpers always seem to find a way to get tickets.

#25 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

Posted Image

I agree 100% and would go if I was in town. Having said that, I would never go to see anyone in BC Place if it weren't for the upgrade
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#26 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

To see him even 15-20 years ago would have been worth it.

For me, not so much now.

If that Lennon fella ever comes to town though, i'd get a ticket i suppose.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#27 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

To see him even 15-20 years ago would have been worth it.

For me, not so much now.

If that Lennon fella ever comes to town though, i'd get a ticket i suppose.

You mean Lenin and the traveling "Kremlin Klown Show"?? .. B)

#28 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

springsteen is a bit stubborn with his set lists and plays too many new songs (there's like 5-7 'Wrecking Ball' songs per night. come on.) anyway, some other staples in recent shows seem to be:

born to run
10th avenue freezeout
badlands
dancing in the dark
hungry heart
working on the highway
the rising
thunder road

unfortunately 'nebraska' songs are getting performed inconsistently, but you're guaranteed about 22-30 songs, and your money's worth

i'll definitely be getting my dose of dad rock from the boss, but i'll pass on mccartney

212e8lw.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#29 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

plus Bruce has Weinberg and Van Zandt backing him...

don't get much better than that for a backing band

212e8lw.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#30 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

Some people on this thread have said they would rather see Springsteen. Yes, I have seen Springsteen before and he is a great performer. But he comes to Vancouver quite often, every few years. On the other hand, Paul McCarthy has not been her for almost 50 years and he may never come again, given he is 70 years old. Do you think he will still be performing at 80 years of age? This is may be the last chance to see him before he joins Lennon and Harrison.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.