115 replies to this topic

#91 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,058 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Yeah I noticed that as well, bet it's a good story. Thought his story about Hendrix was awesome, great tribute to him as well. Blackbird gave me goosebumps.

All of his stories were interesting and funny. And he was so understated delivering them in classic Liverpudlian fashion.

Edited by theminister, 26 November 2012 - 03:14 PM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#92 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I read that Edmonton gets two shows but Vancouver only have one..........hope he come back in one or two years

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#93 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'm not saying he was doing it for the money.

I meant that the production cost is through the roof. His tours cost millions upon millions of dollars, and earn even more. If other bands had the production money to throw around like Paul did, they'd sound just as good. Dunno how anyone can dispute that.

Umm so you're saying if a singer has more money, they become more talented somehow? Maybe that's true if McCartney was lip-syncing or using auto-tune, but I can assure you he wasn't.

Either you're talented or not, it had nothing to do with the money involved. He could play on a street corner in front of a hat and bring crowds around, because he's a musical genius.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#94 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

I read that Edmonton gets two shows but Vancouver only have one..........hope he come back in one or two years

Yea, what's up with that? We know how to rock better than Edmonton!

Oh well, hopefully he'll come back in a few years and I can see him again.

Posted Image

#95 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,776 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

How f'ing amazing is this!:

Edited by J.R., 26 November 2012 - 03:27 PM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#96 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Here's a set list for anyone who's interested:

http://www.setlist.f...a-7bdace20.html

Posted Image

#97 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Yea, what's up with that? We know how to rock better than Edmonton!

Oh well, hopefully he'll come back in a few years and I can see him again.

Edmonton got 2 because their stadium held less than 20,000 people. We got a bigger stadium that held double that amount. Plus there was not enough time to to mount a 2nd show in two days since the Edmonton show is Wednesday. They got to move the equipment.

#98 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

It had nothing to do with money. He's just a great entertainer, and he can still rock out.

Most of his songs were not accompanied by big pyrotechnics, or elaborate visual effects. Last night was all about the music.

His concerts are the same as Bruce Springsteen. Springsteen has no special effects or props. Bruce plays straight out rock with no breaks. Why Glasgow say its all about production money makes no sense. The only equipment is the sound system.

Again, listening to Paul McCartney is like listening to the Beatles. He and the Beatles are the one and the same since he was the lead vocalist for most of the Beatles songs. It is his voice you heard in most of the Beatles songs. In particular, Yesterday.

BTW, there was not a single empty seat in BC Place. Every available seat was taken.

Edited by DonLever, 26 November 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#99 Discord

Discord

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,035 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

paul can keep rocking until he's 90. dude's immortal

2emollt.jpg

Eternal chaos comes with chocolate rain, you guys! CHOCOLATE RAIN

#100 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'm not saying he was doing it for the money.

I meant that the production cost is through the roof. His tours cost millions upon millions of dollars, and earn even more. If other bands had the production money to throw around like Paul did, they'd sound just as good. Dunno how anyone can dispute that.

Money buys a great sound system and pyrotechnics. It doesn't buy pure talent, musical virtuosity, or fifty years of the greatest pop music the world has ever heard.

Edited by nowhereman, 26 November 2012 - 06:35 PM.

Posted Image

#101 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,062 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Panoramic shot my gf took during Let it Be:

Posted Image

Video I took of Live and Let Die:

Posted Image

Anyone get any good pics or video of the drummer dancing behind Paul during Dance Tonight? That was just awesome!

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 26 November 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#102 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

i actually had a friend take his wife and kids to see Mc Cartney!!! He said it was a really good show !
Posted Image

#103 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

Local news report that the fireworks during Paul McCartney's concert scorched some of the panels on the roof. The fireworks were lit during the song Live and Let Die. Videos show flames hitting the roof. Lucky no one was hurt.

If there is damage, the organizers of the concert will be billed.

#104 Mufasa

Mufasa

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

Lp

RIP - Rick Rypien
PSN - BthaKing

#105 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

I thought that they had an excessive amount of fireworks in there.

Another thing I noticed is that they don't seem to have a ventilation system for the smoke afterwards. It was so smokey in there for quite awhile after live and let die.

Edited by DeNiro, 05 December 2012 - 01:07 AM.

Posted Image

#106 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

I thought that they had an excessive amount of fireworks in there.

Another thing I noticed is that they don't seem to have a ventilation system for the smoke afterwards. It was so smokey in there for quite awhile after live and let die.

Yah, I noticed that too! Crazy stuff!

By far, my fave part of the night too. Live and Let Die was epic!

THE ROOF! THE ROOF! THE ROOF WAS ON FIIIIRE!!!!

TomBrady.jpg

#107 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 16,776 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Isn't this what insurance is for? Pretty sure the organizers insurance will cover any damage... I'd guess all parties made more than enough coin to offset the deductible :lol:
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#108 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Either you're talented or not, it had nothing to do with the money involved. He could play on a street corner in front of a hat and bring crowds around, because he's a musical genius.

Maybe he would bring in crowds, maybe not. Great musical talent is not as rare as you think, and becoming famous doesn't have all that much to do with talent. Even the Beatles never would have been famous without a marketing machine behind them.

#109 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 16,776 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Maybe he would bring in crowds, maybe not. Great musical talent is not as rare as you think, and becoming famous doesn't have all that much to do with talent. Even the Beatles never would have been famous without a marketing machine behind them.

Posted Image
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#110 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

There's a reason people will remember the likes of Mozart, Beethoven, Gershwin, and The Beatles for hundreds of years to come. Their talent is such an incredibly rarity and should be treasured. Sorry but there's a big difference between being able to Youtube yourself playing a note-for-note version of a guitar solo (that somebody else wrote) and creaing a piece of music that still captures people's hearts and minds decades, sometimes centuries later.

Do honestly think generations of people still hum "Yesterday" or sing along to "Hey Jude" because The Beatles were well marketed? You couldn't be more off base...
Posted Image

#111 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:58 AM

There's a reason people will remember the likes of Mozart, Beethoven, Gershwin, and The Beatles for hundreds of years to come. Their talent is such an incredibly rarity and should be treasured. Sorry but there's a big difference between being able to Youtube yourself playing a note-for-note version of a guitar solo (that somebody else wrote) and creaing a piece of music that still captures people's hearts and minds decades, sometimes centuries later.

Do honestly think generations of people still hum "Yesterday" or sing along to "Hey Jude" because The Beatles were well marketed? You couldn't be more off base...

Yup, I do, although by the time those songs came out the marketing battle was long over. If those songs had been written by some guy in a bar band you would never have heard them. I'm not taking anything away from them by saying that either. Great songwriters all of them. But no one would know about the beatles if Brian Epstein didn't promote them. Musical fame isn't a meritocracy. Songs don't just rise to the top by themselves. Music publishers get behind and artist and make sure that their songs are heard. These same publishers choose who to promote and not to promote. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. Obviously in the case of the Beatles they got it right. But the ground is littered with really good bands that don't make it. Hell, Vancouver has some great bands that play at local bars. But people don't consider songs 'legit' unless they hear them on the radio.

While there is indeed a difference between covering a song on youtube and writing original songs (congrats for figuring that out), if you check out the local music scene you will realise there is a lot of musical talent around. Lots of good musicians, some chuff, and yes occasionally some really talented people.

#112 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,458 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

Yup, I do, although by the time those songs came out the marketing battle was long over. If those songs had been written by some guy in a bar band you would never have heard them. I'm not taking anything away from them by saying that either. Great songwriters all of them. But no one would know about the beatles if Brian Epstein didn't promote them. Musical fame isn't a meritocracy. Songs don't just rise to the top by themselves. Music publishers get behind and artist and make sure that their songs are heard. These same publishers choose who to promote and not to promote. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. Obviously in the case of the Beatles they got it right. But the ground is littered with really good bands that don't make it. Hell, Vancouver has some great bands that play at local bars. But people don't consider songs 'legit' unless they hear them on the radio.

While there is indeed a difference between covering a song on youtube and writing original songs (congrats for figuring that out), if you check out the local music scene you will realise there is a lot of musical talent around. Lots of good musicians, some chuff, and yes occasionally some really talented people.

Then why aren't they being marketed?
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#113 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:56 AM

Local news report that the fireworks during Paul McCartney's concert scorched some of the panels on the roof. The fireworks were lit during the song Live and Let Die. Videos show flames hitting the roof. Lucky no one was hurt.

Yeah I didn't think the roof would escape unscathed when I saw some fireworks bouncing off it.

#114 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

The BC Place roof never has any luck. Sounds like it was a great concert though!
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#115 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Then why aren't they being marketed?

There's probably a lot of little reasons. I'm not in the music industry, so I can only make guesses. And, its not as easy to make guesses about today's music industry as it is about the music industry as it existed before the internet. Think about this though, before the internet, people found out about new music through the radio. Any given radio station has a limited amount of songs it can play in an hour. A certain percentage of that time goes to older songs that used to be very popular. Another percentage goes to the songs that are very popular at the moment. Which only leaves a little bit of space for new songs, so there are only so many new bands that can be marketed at one time. So there is only room for so many new bands at a time, and those slots are filled based on what the industry believes will sell.

You might ask yourself why so many record companies rejected the Beatles. They apparently only got accepted onto Parlophone because Brian Epstein made some threats about pulling out of other business deals. Brian Epstein then bought 10000 copies of love me do to make sure they charted locally.

http://www.billboard...007972812.story

Basically, he made a bet on them when record companies weren't interested. And he turned out to be right. Without him ramming them through the system, they never would have gotten a chance to be heard. Once they were heard, their talent took them the rest of the way. Even then, their early success was more boy bandish, and they only managed to become more artistic later.

#116 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,062 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

It didn't actually hit the roof, it hit the acoustical liner that's below the roof. Made a few dark marks on it. No big deal. McCartneys insurance will cover it. There was no real chance of it catching fire. There were no actually flames hitting the roof from what I could see from where I was, however a few fireworks did bounce off the liner.

Still worth it, awesome concert!

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 06 December 2012 - 01:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.