The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada Closes Embassy in Iran, Expels Iranian Diplomats from Canada

Satan's Evil Twin

Just because Canada has one "upgraded CF-18A" it doesn't mean they can beat out every other country's military. Iran also has those air defense missiles that are also "upgraded" to take down the CF-18A. Just because you've got one type of air craft in limited quantity, doesn't mean it will now beat the navy, air force and what not. Iran has long range and short range missiles, and everything in between. You can thank Russia for providing some of the weapons to Iran. Canada's military could be highly skilled but it doesn't mean that they will be defeating an army 10X bigger. This isn't a US military going head to head against Iran, it is Canada vs. Iran.

Canada has about 70 F-18A's....not one.

And Iran doesn't have a fighter that has the kind of weapon systems that would allow it to launch a missile first and kill the Canadian before being killed first....regardless of what they've received from the Russians. The Iranians are still flying around in F-14 Tomcat shells and Mig-29s.

Canada's air to air missiles are some of the best that the U.S has available to purchase, not to mention better radar, guidance systems and a plethora or better avionics.

Iran is still running on 1980's hardware in many instances.

Again, a larger troop force means nothing when you have 2000lb radar/laser guided bombs dropping on you. It just means your casualty figures will be higher.

Technologically speaking, Canada has the major edge....and that nullifies the numbers game that's on Iran's side as far as boots on the ground go. And yeah, Iran's navy would absolutely be sitting ducks without air protection. It's not like their naval vessels have the kind of anti-missile layers of defence that a Canadian frigate would be carrying. Not even close actually.

Visualize Canada invading Iran, and after you put on fresh gonch, from peeing/pooping yer pants, ask yer self who would win? .. WE withdrew our diplomatic representatives, often a per-cursor to some aggressive action, NOT THEM .. so in a scenario where we attack them, we would look like the Leafs .. :lol:

And, we were talking strictly Canada versus Iran, NOT Iran versus Canada and all it's NATO bum-buddies .. perspective really matters, as does timing and a sense of humor ..

Visualize Canada invading Iran, and after you put on fresh gonch, from peeing/pooping yer pants, ask yer self who would win? .. WE withdrew our diplomatic representatives, often a per-cursor to some aggressive action, NOT THEM .. so in a scenario where we attack them, we would look like the Leafs .. :lol:

And, we were talking strictly Canada versus Iran, NOT Iran versus Canada and all it's NATO bum-buddies .. perspective really matters, as does timing and a sense of humor ..

Not to mention our geographic location. Good luck on invading Norh America. that's goes for even more powerful nations like china and Russia. You have a stronger ground force which still needs to be moved accross the ocean. So we can hit u with the luxury of not being hit back. And I highly doubt the US is letting Canada be replaced up north or Britain. Good luck with invading the fortress that is NA.

And we have not recruited hard like others. Imagine a threat on Canadian soil. I'm fairly certain our forces in service would increase drastically. ATM we are a docile country but we have proven to be a strong when needed.

With our history in the WW and what I have seen and read currently. We have some of the best troops in the world. Study warfare enough and you see how numbers often mean very little. Training, strategy, equipment, leadership and moral all play a major role.

This was just a thought experiment mostly. It had already been established that Iran would face the full capabilities of NATO should it ever be struck by Iran, and also, Canada isn't a country capable of launching a war thousands of kilometers away on foreign territory alone either.

The case by others was made that they believe the Canadian military would be no match for the Iranian one.

I disagreed, and tried to show that they'd be more than capable of being a match, they'd be victorious, based on their air superiority alone.

So, this is really a scenario where you put Canada vs Iran on some fictional map and let them go at it with the equipment and the men they have and see who wins. In my mind you bring up some very good points about being a volunteer army versus a member of a mandatory serviced one. Other things like funding plays a very important role as it leads to better training, better equipment, more supplies......all things vital to winning a battle.

If Canada had to attack Iran, the logistics of sending our forces would be very challenging as we don't necessarily have the equipment to haul all the troops there, nor a place to stage from. However, if it was a head to head battle, i'm confident that Canada would prevail.

All the Iranians I know. Quite a few, including my gfs family. All very much dislike the regime. All have told me that at times their houses hAve been invaded without warning. That family members are taken without reason or known length of time.

Imagine if our police could kick down your door at 3am take your brother and father. Go through all personals and leave your home in shambles. All without warrant or reason. When you hear these things you become a little more appreciative of what we have here eh.

This was just a thought experiment mostly. It had already been established that Iran would face the full capabilities of NATO should it ever be struck by Iran, and also, Canada isn't a country capable of launching a war thousands of kilometers away on foreign territory alone either.

The case by others was made that they believe the Canadian military would be no match for the Iranian one.

I disagreed, and tried to show that they'd be more than capable of being a match, they'd be victorious, based on their air superiority alone.

So, this is really a scenario where you put Canada vs Iran on some fictional map and let them go at it with the equipment and the men they have and see who wins. In my mind you bring up some very good points about being a volunteer army versus a member of a mandatory serviced one. Other things like funding plays a very important role as it leads to better training, better equipment, more supplies......all things vital to winning a battle.

If Canada had to attack Iran, the logistics of sending our forces would be very challenging as we don't necessarily have the equipment to haul all the troops there, nor a place to stage from. However, if it was a head to head battle, i'm confident that Canada would prevail.

Canadian military has an overabundance of NCOs and junior officers. This is deliberate. Should a rapid increase in the ranks be needed due to a national defence crisis, we can expand quickly at the unit, company, division, and brigade levels.

However, air superiority is our game. And I know that our Norad partners would have our backs should we ever be attacked.

This was the closest thing to what I had in mind so I'll just quote it.

Canada would lose a war with Iran if it were to attack based on the real geographical locations. Just like Iran would lose if they were to attack Canada.

Iran's military, as repeatedly stated by the Iranian government is meant as a deterrent to foreign attack. (Whether that is a lie, and they are trying to expand to the point where they can launch full scale attacks is irrelevant.)

If Canada were to send carriers there (not sure if, or how many they have), Iran would launch surface to sea missiles, which it has plenty of. If they were to invade with ground forces, they would get absolutely destroyed.

Now if they were put on a magical map, I believe Canada's air supremacy as you put it doesn't out class Iran's enough to be an easy victory, but they would win in the end. The hard part would be when Iran invades Canada via the ground. Not to mention Iran actually has a pretty large missile arsenal which would do a lot of damage.

But in that magical scenario, Iran vs Canada is a lot like Iran vs Israel.

Iran would lose just because Canada is so much larger. Just like Israel would (unless they use nukes).

Either way, it's a moot point, in reality, neither is capable of waging a successful war against the one. Especially when you consider NATO would get involved.

Archived