The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada Closes Embassy in Iran, Expels Iranian Diplomats from Canada

Satan's Evil Twin

We could each spell out various scenarios where either side "may" dominate .. so it becomes moot .. 3.8 million troops versus 128,000, half of those being reserves .. technology would even it out some but if we learned anything from Iraq, it is that once you need to put people on the ground and in harms way, it changes the dynamic completely .. it is like fighting forest fires .. you can bomb fires infinitum, but you need boots-on-the-ground to put the fire out .. obvious scenario is that we would have to invade them, since we initiated this "action", and we would lose ..

As far as dreams, where would a man be without his dreams .. it was my attempt to end my part of this pointless discussion .. :lol:

Moot point after moot point .. Russia DOES have a vested interest in Iran, if only as an irritant to the West .. I am not knowledgeable enough about either countries air power to comment .. I accept that we have superior air power, but the discrepancy between ground forces in an all-out conflagration is staggering .. when we run out of bombs we would be screwed ..

There really is no point in discussing Canada’s war capability apart from the US. Culturally, linguistically, economically, genetically (founding stock anyway) and militarily we are Americans. The fact that we have a quasi independent political entity is more a quirk of history and a matter of convenience than anything else. When push comes to shove in meaningful foreign policy matters we march in step with Tel Aviv on the Potomac.

Here, Harper is being economical and apparently has decided to forego the farce of impartiality, something that Liberals would likely have entertained, before, of course, going along with it anyway. The powers that be are bent on war and experienced spokesmen for the regime, of all ostensible political stripes, know their duty.

Pity Iran doesn’t actually have nukes. As Russia, China, and to lesser extent South Korea and Pakistan have shown, it is the only way of protecting yourself against the worst of the NWO buggery.

Moot point after moot point .. Russia DOES have a vested interest in Iran, if only as an irritant to the West .. I am not knowledgeable enough about either countries air power to comment .. I accept that we have superior air power, but the discrepancy between ground forces in an all-out conflagration is staggering .. when we run out of bombs we would be screwed ..

I don't know why you and others keep using the word 'moot' perjoratively to the act of raising an issue between the comparative capabilities between Iran's and Canada's militaristic 'winnability' in facing each other in a confrontation, since we have already acknowledged that this line of discussion is an abstract one, subject to discussion and question. There's no question that we aren't discussing something that has practical application or realization for us......hence once again, the reason it's a simple thought experiment, to discuss logical points and make comparisons, in order to attempt to come to some agreement or informed mutual understanding.

Anyways, Russia does have an economic interest in Iran that it's vested in, but as I said, they have no obligation to Iran for its armed defence, such as NATO member countries have to the defence of any one of its own, should they be attacked.

I'm glad that you acknowledge that Canada has 'air superiority' over Iran, just as I acknowledge that Iran has numerical troop superiority over Canada. The issue then, to settle, is what's vitally more important in a conflict between two formal militaries in a full combat situation? The air superiority or the ground superiority? Which of those two has the better ability to wipe the other out?

And yes, it's a moot question....however it's one that seems to be in dispute between us, so it's one that's open to question and discussion.

Do some people think Iran could invade Canada and win? They wouldn't even make it to the shore since they would all be sunk or shot down.

As for Canada invading Iran in this purely imaginative scenario where no other forces get involved? It would depend on the objectives. If Canada wanted to capture hold and keep Iran lndefinately then we would sooner or later need to leave as the cost would be too high (Much like Vietnam and Afghanistan to the Russians. If Canada's objective was to destroy the enemy into a negotiated or unconditional surrender (Allies vs Japan), I think the chances are very good. Superior tactics, equipment and firepower along with Air and Sea superiority nullifies the advantage of numbers. It's not like the days of old where two armies meet on a field.

Do some people think Iran could invade Canada and win? They wouldn't even make it to the shore since they would all be sunk or shot down.

As for Canada invading Iran in this purely imaginative scenario where no other forces get involved? It would depend on the objectives. If Canada wanted to capture hold and keep Iran lndefinately then we would sooner or later need to leave as the cost would be too high (Much like Vietnam and Afghanistan to the Russians. If Canada's objective was to destroy the enemy into a negotiated or unconditional surrender (Allies vs Japan), I think the chances are very good. Superior tactics, equipment and firepower along with Air and Sea superiority nullifies the advantage of numbers. It's not like the days of old where two armies meet on a field.

Even during 'the days of old' when battles were faught face to face numbers meant little. Just look up Hanibals huge victories over the Romans. Using ambush,strategic planning and deception. As well they were better equipped. Then you have the Macedonians under Alex the great and his Calvary charges, throwing larger armies into disarray before being slaughtered.

There's A ton of ancient examples of smaller armies beating out larger armies all throughout history. Sparta anyone? I could go on.

Archived