The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada Closes Embassy in Iran, Expels Iranian Diplomats from Canada

Satan's Evil Twin

Who said anything about invading NA?? This was just a discussion about what the results of Canada vs. Iran would be in a conventional war in a vacuum. It is just a comparison in a vacuum between the two military not about invasions, allies and blah blah. Someone said that Iran's army is more powerful than the Canadian army because it was ranked higher. Thats it, don't make it complicated and bring in scenarios about invasions and whatnot.

I don't and can't discount the fact that you're of Iranian descent, and as an Iranian-Canadian you would obviously know a lot others. What I can question is the sentiment of the 120,000 current Iranian-Canadians compared to the sample size you provide (ie. your friends).

I'm showing that there's a lot more to this than just the passports and visas; there's the refugees and those who faced persecution at the hands of the Iranian government.

I really doubt that there are this many Iranian Canadians who are happy about this, because it technically means that it will be harder for them to go to Iran. Not sure why so many of them would be happy about the cutting of diplomatic ties with Iran since it doesn't necessarily benefit them in any way. Especially if they have family or relatives there and want to send them a letter of invitation to visit Canada. The negatives far outweigh the positives for these people, so am not sure why they are that happy. Besides, there is also a mixed reaction in the parliament about Harper's decision to cut diplomatic ties with Iran. I think there is definitely more to this than Harper's lame excuse about the safety of Canadian diplomats due to the British embassy crisis.

Personally I'm not happy about this, as it screws with my life and friends. I kind of thought having the ability to communicate with the Iranian regime was a plus. America = bad cop / Canada = good cop. I do agree with you that it seems there is more to this. I'm concerned about any possibility of a strike against Iran.

Why Canada severed relations with Iran

-snip-

Ken Taylor, who was Canada's ambassador in Iran during the U.S. hostage crisis that began in 1979, told CBC's Hannah Thibedeau he doesn't agree with Canada's decision to suspend diplomatic relations.

"Given Canada's status as an international player, there's great value to having someone there on the ground who can interpret what is going on, to the extent that there are challenges to doing that properly," he said.

Mundy said that now, "We no longer have the ability to communicate directly, government to government, with the Iranian government."

Stein says, "The major impact will be on the Iranian diaspora in Canada, which will have a lot more difficulty getting visas to go home for visits."

Canadians imprisoned in Iran

Another significant impact to Mundy is that "we no longer have Canadian diplomats on the ground to protect the interests of Canadian citizens" in Iran. "There are a lot of Canadian citizens in Iran, some of whom are in jail, and some of whom depend upon the Canadian diplomats to make representations on their behalf."

Hamid Ghassemi-Shall, a Canadian citizen jailed in Iran since 2008, is one of three Canadians being held in Iran's notorious Evin prison, the same prison where Canadian photojournalist Zahra Kazemi was killed in 2003, which led to a serious worsening of relations between the two countries.

Iran sentenced Ghassemi-Shall to death in 2009.

His wife, Antonella Mega, told Thibedeau on Power and Politics that she feels the Canadian announcement is "a great disappointment for me and Hamid." The diplomats who have now left Iran "have expressed great concern for Hamid's case" and "have been continuously advocating for him."

Feeling that "a door is now closed," Mega said she wants to hear from the Canadian government, "What is the plan that Canada has to help Hamid?"

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/why-canada-severed-relations-with-iran-1

All it means is that I can't go to Iran anymore to visit family and friends. Thank you Harper!

No Iranian-Canadians would take the risk of going to Iran anymore (especially carrying a Canadian passport). There is no Canadian diplomats to represent us and the regime could potentially imprison random innocent Canadian travelers for no reason because Canada can't do anything. Severing diplomatic ties basically gives the reign to the Iranian government to do anything they want with Canadian-Iranians living there and maybe even wrongfully accuse them of espionage.

Canada does very little for its citizens abroad.

I have friends who had to be evacuated during the first gulf war and had to rely on the americans while the yokel canucks showed up late.

They were also largely no shows during the conflict in libya as my company was trying to evac canadian citizens

The british/canadian gentleman who was a victim of saudis coverup of terrorist attacks in the earlier 2000s had some interesting perspective of his dealing with both the brit and canadian diplomats while he was being tortured in a saudi prison.

Canada does very little for its citizens abroad.

I have friends who had to be evacuated during the first gulf war and had to rely on the americans while the yokel canucks showed up late.

They were also largely no shows during the conflict in libya as my company was trying to evac canadian citizens

The british/canadian gentleman who was a victim of saudis coverup of terrorist attacks in the earlier 2000s had some interesting perspective of his dealing with both the brit and canadian diplomats while he was being tortured in a saudi prison.

Iranians aren't brown buddy. They are Aryans (Indo-Europeans) and some are white and look Caucasian. The only thing Harper cares about is Israel. I wonder if Mr. Harper had a sleepover tonight at Mr. Netanyahoo's house. I bet they are having butt sex right now.

Archived