The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada Closes Embassy in Iran, Expels Iranian Diplomats from Canada

Satan's Evil Twin

Both these posts are unbelievably ignorant.

Iran could wipe out our armed forces? :picard:

The Canadian Forces are considered to be among the top militarys in the world. We just don't spend as much as other countries do so we don't possess cutting edge technology, although the tech we use is still very advanced. Also because of the lower budget there aren't unliminted spaces, and thus it is also small in comparison to some countries armys. However that being said, one of the things that makes us elite is how thoroughly we train our soldiers, in contrast with most militarys whose training process lasts just a few weeks to a few months. Just as a side note, the Canadian Special Forces are so elite, that they are the only special forces that the Americans will work with on missions where they need help.

Wrong. The waiting lists to get into the Canadian military are huge, and there are very limited spots open to new recruits. Go to Forces.ca and have a look yourself, as of right now there are only 6 occupations which need new recruits.

Just as a point of discussion TL, any attack on Canada would be an attack on all of NATO.

Iran's military wouldn't last 30 minutes after the $h!t storm that would accompany a certain coordinated retaliatory NATO strike.

"You **** with one of us, you **** with all of us"...to paraphrase their motto. B)

I don't agree with the Embassy closure though...so i'm with you on that.

This ones for you Clumsy Goalie: note the Aussies are ahead of us the Philippines etc .. 12th versus 25th ..

Here is the link .. sorry for the crap: http://www.globalfirepower.com/

Military Factory | Military Industrial Complex | Second World War History | Military Pay Chart

header-img.png

logo-gfp-countries-list.png

logo-compare-countries.png

GlobalFirepower.com (GFP)

GFP provides a unique analytical display of data covering global military powers with statistics compiled through various sources. All manner of countries are considered in the ranking, a spectrum helping to produce a near-complete comparison of relative military strengths from across the globe. The user should note that nuclear capability is not taken into account for the final ranking for this listing is purely a "numbers game" meant to spark debate and including nuclear weapons would clearly defeat its purpose. Therefore GFP comparisons are for consideration in a conventional war based solely on each individual nation's capabilities on land, at sea and through the air while including logistical and financial aspects when waging total war. Sources are stated whenever possible though some statistics are estimated if official numbers are not available.

Final Thoughts

It goes without saying that lists such can be completely subjective, though the GFP intention is to be wholly unbiased.

The final GFP rankings are based on a formula taking some 45 factors into account and compiling totals against each country, applying bonuses and penalties as needed to generate this list.

Oh I know we are a part of NATO .. I was a history major .. our military against theirs tho? .. straight up? .. we would get our arses handed to us .. maybe it would take longer than 30 minutes .. it would just FEEL like 30 minutes ..

Beyond the logistics of us ever meeting face to face, we are fooling ourselves .. a few snipers does not a military make ..

I have many friends who serve in the US and Canadian military, and they have my utmost respect and adoration. They have all volunteered to do something that most of us do not have the guts to do.

As for some macro evil intent, what is wrong with trying to ensure your livelihood. Iran gets nukes, Iran will use it. Heck, go to the mosque in Tehran every Friday and listen to the people chant "Death to Israel" and then listen to the Iranian president talks of extriminating those Jewish rats, while compounding all of this by an eschatological religious view about the imminence of Mahdi's arrival.

i know exactly how things are thanks mate.

do you know that just before the invasion of iraq , there were moderates in power in tehran , they were slowly westernising , women were getting more freedoms including education , work and dressing like western women .

the iranians helped the US with logistics at the start of the war with iraq , US-Iran relations were improving .

then the idiot son of an asshole came out with his axis of evil comments , the moderate mullahs could not believe it . bush kept persisting with his comments and this enabled the hard line mullahs to regain their power and the rest is history .

do you know who are the real losers here are , the iranian people especially the women , their hard won freedoms are gone .

No. The same small group of religious figures have been in power since the revolution. The president and the elected officials are just figure heads who do whatever the Ayatollahs tell them.

Grand Ayatollah Sayyid has been in power since 1989.

The reason why the reformists lost in the 2004 election was because the Ayatollahs banned the majority of the reformists from running:

http://en.wikipedia...._election,_2004

It had absolutely nothing to do with Bush.

Did you even read the webpage that you posted? Or did you just plunk in "top ranked militarys" then post whatever came up first?

From that website:

We don't have a massive budget or population like most of the top countries do, so of course we're ranked lower. However what matters most is that the militaries are ranked according to their capabilities when waging TOTAL WAR. Do you know what that means? That means that every man, woman, and child are focusing their efforts on defeating the enemy. A logistical nightmare. No country will ever wage total war again like they did in WW2, WW1, etc. because of one simple factor. Nukes.

Wikipedia:

Therefore that list you posted is totally irrelevant. Also, the website itself seems to just be a hub for military fanatics, and doesn't look to be official or authoritative in any way.

Spin it any way you want .. our Canadian military is, for the most part, a joke .. and I am happy for that .. I have had 3 relatives serve in the Afghan situation and had many relatives serve and die for Canada .. what they died for only history can judge ..

Statistically, I would love to see you do more than pull your "info" out of your nether region .. based on statistics I have found, Canada has the 54th ranked Armed Forces group by size, Iran is 6th .. we have 128,000 folk in uniform and Iran has 3,833,000 .. do our snipers have that many bullets do you think? ..

Archived