Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Remembering Pavol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#31 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

RIP Demo, and all the members of Lokomotiv Yaroslavl who died in that tragic plane crash.

RIP LB RR PD

#32 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

RIP Demo
Posted Image

#33 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

I wasn't. For some reason most Canuck fans felt like Pavol didn't do quite enough here for anybody to commemorate his death the way that, say, Rick Rypien's death was. Pavol (who was a star player and a national hero in Slovakia who died in the worst tragedy in hockey history) barely got mentioned while Rypien (an "enforcer" whose most remembered moment in the NHL was attacking a fan while getting kicked out of a game and who took his own life) got the whole memorial treatment by the Canuck organisation. Strange.

I agree that Pavol isn't recognized in Vancouver the way he should be, but to say Rypien's most rememberd moment in the NHL was that one incident and "because he took his own life" is ignorant. Rypien was a fan favorite long before he "attacked a fan". I seem to remember Rypien scoring his first goal, kicking Hal Gill's a$$, and being a helpful member of the community. Not just "attacking a fan and taking his own life"..

/=S=/

#34 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

RIP Demitra and other members of the team. Thoughts go out to their loved ones as well.

I also found it surprising how Demitra got no mentions from the organization. Wild has a tribute on their site. Blues and Wild official twitter accounts have tweeted a message in his memory, but nothing from the Canucks. :/

It almost certainly had to do with the fact that Pavol was a member of the evil KHL when he died which is sad; the whole NHL vs. KHL thing is so juvenile. It could also have something to do with the fact that, prior to his passing Pavol was considered by most Canuck fans to be an underachiever of sorts.

Also I'm not disrespecting the tragedy that was Rypien's passing, I'm just pointing out the difference in the way most Canuck fans acted when these two players died. Pavol was a star, that can't be denied. Ripper was pure enforcer and not much else. If he was a Bruin (just as an example) there wouldn't have been a tear shed for him in all of B.C. and he would have been labelled a useless goon and good riddance. But because he was OUR goon everybody gets all misty eyed whenever his name comes up. Both deaths were tragedies and both players played their hearts out for this team. Both should have received equal honours IMHO.

#35 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

I agree that Pavol isn't recognized in Vancouver the way he should be, but to say Rypien's most rememberd moment in the NHL was that one incident and "because he took his own life" is ignorant. Rypien was a fan favorite long before he "attacked a fan". I seem to remember Rypien scoring his first goal, kicking Hal Gill's a$$, and being a helpful member of the community. Not just "attacking a fan and taking his own life"..

Sorry my wording there was flawed; I didn't mean that he was remembered mostly for taking his own life (although I'm sure many non Canuck fans will remember him for that as well). To most non Canuck fans he is indeed remembered mostly for his actions in Minny with the fan. Sorry but it's true; ask any fan of another team.

#36 MaxLapierreAwesomeFace

MaxLapierreAwesomeFace

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Rest in Peace Demo.

#37 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

here today gone tomorrow
you never know :mellow:

R.I.P.Pavol

#38 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,454 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Rest In Peace Pavol :)
Posted Image

#39 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

Sorry my wording there was flawed; I didn't mean that he was remembered mostly for taking his own life (although I'm sure many non Canuck fans will remember him for that as well). To most non Canuck fans he is indeed remembered mostly for his actions in Minny with the fan. Sorry but it's true; ask any fan of another team.

Dude - you just have stop trying to explain yourself...with every word you write, you're coming off as an imbecile. Death transcends hockey...both Demitra and Rypien are remembered and honored by those on the CDC. The fact that the CDC does not speak of Demitra as publicly and as often as they do about Rypien only speaks about the popularity of Rypien and does not diminish who and what Pavol Demitra was as a man and hockey player. If you think it does, get your head out of your a$$ and come out for some air.

#40 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

Rypien attacked a fan in ninny....hardly! And it was that incident that made him ???? awesome
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#41 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

Rest in peace Pavol

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.