The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remembering Pavol

leftcoast

RIP Demitra and other members of the team. Thoughts go out to their loved ones as well.

I also found it surprising how Demitra got no mentions from the organization. Wild has a tribute on their site. Blues and Wild official twitter accounts have tweeted a message in his memory, but nothing from the Canucks. :/

The first thing I do every morning is reach for my phone and check email and Twitter. Most of the time I'm still half asleep when I do that so even while I'm reading emails and tweets, I'm not quite comprehending what they're saying. When I read the first tweet about the Lokomotiv plane crash I scrolled right by it because it didn't even register on me about what it was saying. Only after a whole series of tweets with the same tags appeared did I realize that something had happened. I was wide awake in an instant and quickly ran to check the net to see what had happened.

Seeing the images and the early reports that the entire team had died just seemed unbelievable. I kept expecting someone to say that it was a false alarm and everyone was fine. To read all the familiar names of players who'd played in the NHL and then to hear Demo's name was just heartbreaking. All these guys were doing was playing the sport they loved. They had families and young kids they were leaving behind. It was just devastating.

Will never forget that day.

RIP to all the victims and continued good thoughts to their families

I wasn't. For some reason most Canuck fans felt like Pavol didn't do quite enough here for anybody to commemorate his death the way that, say, Rick Rypien's death was. Pavol (who was a star player and a national hero in Slovakia who died in the worst tragedy in hockey history) barely got mentioned while Rypien (an "enforcer" whose most remembered moment in the NHL was attacking a fan while getting kicked out of a game and who took his own life) got the whole memorial treatment by the Canuck organisation. Strange.

RIP Demitra and other members of the team. Thoughts go out to their loved ones as well.

I also found it surprising how Demitra got no mentions from the organization. Wild has a tribute on their site. Blues and Wild official twitter accounts have tweeted a message in his memory, but nothing from the Canucks. :/

I agree that Pavol isn't recognized in Vancouver the way he should be, but to say Rypien's most rememberd moment in the NHL was that one incident and "because he took his own life" is ignorant. Rypien was a fan favorite long before he "attacked a fan". I seem to remember Rypien scoring his first goal, kicking Hal Gill's a$$, and being a helpful member of the community. Not just "attacking a fan and taking his own life"..

Sorry my wording there was flawed; I didn't mean that he was remembered mostly for taking his own life (although I'm sure many non Canuck fans will remember him for that as well). To most non Canuck fans he is indeed remembered mostly for his actions in Minny with the fan. Sorry but it's true; ask any fan of another team.

Archived