#1 danman99

danman99

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404736

The Toronto Maple Leafs have hit a new low, at least according to ESPN Magazine.

The American sports publication has branded the Leafs as the worst professional sports franchise in their annual 'Ultimate Standings.'

The ranking, based on a variety of factors include categories such as 'fan relations,' 'ownership,' 'affordability,' 'stadium experience' and 'title track record," amongst others.

The Leafs did not crack the Top 100 in any one of the magazine's eight core ranking categories, finishing three spots behind ESPN's next-worst NHL franchise, the New York Islanders.

It is the Leafs' fifth-straight year as the lowest-ranked NHL franchise. In 2011, the Washington Redskins and Cincinnati Bengals were ranked below the Leafs in the overall count.

The Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames and Montreal Canadiens were also among the NHL's six worst franchises and could not crack the Top 100 overall ranking in the four major sports.

The No. 1 franchise in North American pro sports, according to the ranking, is the Oklahoma City Thunder. The highest-ranked NHL franchise is the Tampa Bay Lightning, who finished seventh overall - down from second in 2011.

The top NHL franchises according to the magazine's individual categories are as follows:

Bang for the Buck (wins weighted against revenues), Players (on-field effort, total 'likability), Coaching and Affordability: Phoenix Coyotes.

Fan Relations and Ownership: Detroit Red Wings.

Stadium Experience: Minnesota Wild.

Title Track (Championships won or expected in the lifetimes of current fans): Pittsburgh Penguins.

As for Canada's other pro sports teams, the Ottawa Senators were the highest-ranked, checking in at 42nd overall. The Winnipeg Jets and Vancouver Canucks were listed 91st and 92nd respectively.

Outside hockey, the Toronto Blue Jays were ranked 79th and the Toronto Raptors were 103rd.

No Canadian franchise cracked the Top 20 in any single category.

#2 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Pffft

You don't need a sixth sense to figure that out
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#3 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

ESPN has no clue what they're talking about.

- Montreal is ranked so low and Tampa Bay :picard:

Edited by A1 CANUCK, 07 September 2012 - 01:11 PM.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#4 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

Lol.

Why do I always feel tingly when the leafs are bashed?

:bigblush:

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

#5 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,705 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Leafs > Blue Jackets no matter what they say. It's espn, of course they don't know what they're talking about.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#6 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

hahahahahahhahahaha. i think espn is terrible, but this is still AWESOME

#7 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

There are far worse franchises than the Leafs.
Posted Image

#8 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

ESPN :picard:
Posted Image

#9 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

How can they explain that the Leafs are worst while the Phoenix Coyotes are still in existence? At least they can sell tickets once in a while.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#10 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

Chicago Cubs? 100 years and counting...

Posted Image

#11 VintageForever420

VintageForever420

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

ESPN doesen't know jack crap lol

#12 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

So the most financially stable, not to mention highest grossing, team in the league, in spite of poor on-ice performance for nearly a decade, is the worst franchise, not just in the NHL, but in all of sports?

I hate the Leafs as much, if not more (well, probably a lot more, actually) than the next guy, but give me a break ...

#13 Schnieds

Schnieds

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

Did anyone even read the article or they just like to bash it cuz Espn wrote it? It's about which team gives to best bang for the buck. The best value based on regular and playoff success. In the leafs case, it's none. The leafs have the highest ticket prices in the league and they haven't made the playoffs since god knows when. The Coyotes charge much less for tickets and made it to round 3 last year and I personally would pay good money to see Stamkos play in Tampa. Even CBJ have made the postseason after the leafs did therefore ranking the leafs dead last.

#14 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

How can they explain that the Leafs are worst while the Phoenix Coyotes are still in existence? At least they can sell tickets once in a while.

Part of the ranking criteria is the average fan being able to afford tickets to go to a game and afford to buy their kids a hot dog and soft drink once at the Arena.

Another part of ranking criteria is success. PHX just made the conference finals while the Leafs can't even make the playoffs.

#15 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

I saw this on TSN and it's utter rubbish.

Tampa Bay the top NHL franchise? Toronto the worst franchise in N.A.? They aren't even the worst franchise in the NHL...

Has ESPN not heard of the Charlotte Bobcats? Sacramento Kings? Columbus Blue Jackets?

What a surprise that an American publication has all Canadian franchises ranked so low.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#16 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

ESPN has no clue what they're talking about.

- Montreal is ranked so low and Tampa Bay :picard:

I think affordability came into effect here, it's way cheaper to catch a game in Tampa vs. Montreal.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#17 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#18 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Did anyone even read the article or they just like to bash it cuz Espn wrote it? It's about which team gives to best bang for the buck.  The best value based on regular and playoff success. In the leafs case, it's none. The leafs have the highest ticket prices in the league and they haven't made the playoffs since god knows when. The Coyotes charge much less for tickets and made it to round 3 last year and I personally would pay good money to see Stamkos play in Tampa. Even CBJ have made the postseason after the leafs did therefore ranking the leafs dead last.

And the Canucks are ranked 92nd because.....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#19 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

And the Canucks are ranked 92nd because.....

"The ranking, based on a variety of factors include categories such as 'fan relations,' 'ownership,' 'affordability,' 'stadium experience' and 'title track record," amongst others."

The tickets aren't really affordable for the average Joe. That's going to lose you major points in a list like this.

The 'stadium experience' goes beyond the product on the ice and in the Canucks' case is non existent, Having Fin shoot t-shirts out of a bazooka is lame and the music they play is fit for a 12 year old girl's bday party. Hence the crap rating.

#20 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

"The ranking, based on a variety of factors include categories such as 'fan relations,' 'ownership,' 'affordability,' 'stadium experience' and 'title track record," amongst others."

The tickets aren't really affordable for the average Joe. That's going to lose you major points in a list like this.

The 'stadium experience' goes beyond the product on the ice and in the Canucks' case is non existent, Having Fin shoot t-shirts out of a bazooka is lame and the music they play is fit for a 12 year old girl's bday party. Hence the crap rating.

Apparently ticket prices make up a huge portion of the weighting, since back to back President's Cups couldn't even vault us past the Winnipeg Jets...

#21 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,330 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

Yo, true story.

Subbancopy.jpg

#22 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Good for Columbus. At least they aren't the worst at something, excluding the actual hockey their team plays.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#23 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

ESPN is complete garbage! Ofcourse the highest Canadian team was ranked 12th (Ottawa) and after that they just put them all in at the end. 24th - 30th. I think they are pretty bias.

#24 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

:lol:
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#25 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

LOL, comment on TSN

"The self proclaimed 'center of the universe' has been relegated to some distant black hole in another galaxy by ESPN."

#26 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

Hilarious but idiotic. Ottawa is an awful franchise, and ranks top 50?! I guess lack of sell outs, being least profitable Canadian team, missing the playoffs every other year, and low TV ratings gets you a top 50 spot...

#27 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

They're first because there is no bang for the buck so to speak. Leaf fans pay ridiculous amounts of money to attend games and buy merchandise only to have their team out of playoff contention by early March. In my mind they rank right up there with the Pittsburgh Pirates of old.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#28 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

They're first because there is no bang for the buck so to speak. Leaf fans pay ridiculous amounts of money to attend games and buy merchandise only to have their team out of playoff contention by early March. In my mind they rank right up there with the Pittsburgh Pirates of old.

The way I read that article "Bang for the Buck" was a specific category, in which the Phoenix Coyotes were top ranked.

The Leafs were ranked dead last due to a "variety of factors" including fan experience, etc. IMO, the fact that MLSE continues to sell out in spite of so many losing seasons, ranks them far ahead of teams that virtually give tickets away in an effort to fill seats.

#29 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

I honestly think ESPN is biased, favouring American teams. I'm not saying that because of the way they ranked the Canadian teams (let's be realistic here, no Canadian team has won a cup since 93?) . I'm saying that because of the way they rank their teams in general.

Compare Toronto with NYI. Toronto has a larger fanbase with sellout crowds which would result in a much better experience in the arena,

Their categories seem to be a joke. Titles won or expected???? How exactly do you compare that? LA wasn't expected to win the cup. Neither was Carolina, Tampa Bay, Anaheim. There's way too many factors to determine this. How old is the fanbase expected to be? There are 90 year old Leaf fans out there. That's a lot of cups.
This thread was really just a figment of your imagination...

#30 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

was funny till i read

As for Canada's other pro sports teams, the Ottawa Senators were the highest-ranked,

yeah , okay
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.