The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ESPN names the Maple Leafs the worst franchise in North America

danman99

They're first because there is no bang for the buck so to speak. Leaf fans pay ridiculous amounts of money to attend games and buy merchandise only to have their team out of playoff contention by early March. In my mind they rank right up there with the Pittsburgh Pirates of old.

I honestly think ESPN is biased, favouring American teams. I'm not saying that because of the way they ranked the Canadian teams (let's be realistic here, no Canadian team has won a cup since 93?) . I'm saying that because of the way they rank their teams in general.

Compare Toronto with NYI. Toronto has a larger fanbase with sellout crowds which would result in a much better experience in the arena,

Their categories seem to be a joke. Titles won or expected???? How exactly do you compare that? LA wasn't expected to win the cup. Neither was Carolina, Tampa Bay, Anaheim. There's way too many factors to determine this. How old is the fanbase expected to be? There are 90 year old Leaf fans out there. That's a lot of cups.

I found this pretty sweet at first, but reading it over and seeing the other rankings...It's pretty stupid.

TB is the best NHL franchise? Vancouver is 92nd out of the the top 100 in NA? Come on :picard:

Of the top 50 sports franchises not one NHL team is listed. (Showing how much money the NFL, international soccer, even Formula 1 racing teams make.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/07/16/manchester-united-tops-the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams/

Here is the listing of franchises based on value from Forbes magazine. Ironically they can figure out stuff where ESPN can't.

I hate the Leafs, but making money is not a problem for them. They might not be run well, or draft well, but they are a powerhouse in the league.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/

This is what happens when Americans try to pretend they own a Canadian sport, they are clueless to the sport. Only looking to try and benefit their own country, then supporting another one. The only reason half of the American franchises are still in their city is, because of Canadian franchises that support their poor butts to even stay in the NHL, because Canadian franchises do so well financially. Typical Americans that take everything for granted, hey ESPN you should try and do a poll on fan turn outs in Florida and Tampa compared to your 2 lowest so called Canadian teams, and really see who supports which team more.

Archived