Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

ESPN names the Maple Leafs the worst franchise in North America

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#31 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72,496 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

Since 2004, yes.

:P

307mg00.jpg

#32 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

ESPN has no clue what they're talking about.

- Montreal is ranked so low and Tampa Bay :picard:

Well, ticket prices, customer relations and recent winning records are taken into account.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#33 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

lol at leafs but otherwise a very stupid list
Posted Image

#34 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

I found this pretty sweet at first, but reading it over and seeing the other rankings...It's pretty stupid.

TB is the best NHL franchise? Vancouver is 92nd out of the the top 100 in NA? Come on :picard:

#35 FullMetalOilDrum

FullMetalOilDrum

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

This ranking system is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I hate the Make-Me-Laffs, don't get me wrong but this ranking thing is just dumb and meaningless.
Respect my favorite team, and I will respect yours.

#36 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

I dont really hate Toronto anymore. How could anyone seriously hate such a pathetic franchise?

#37 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,702 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

I dont really hate Toronto anymore. How could anyone seriously hate such a pathetic franchise?

It's not too often we agree on something Riviera, but I've been saying the same thing for quite awhile.

I'm not a Leaf fan by any stretch, but there are other teams is dislike a lot more. Toronto is pretty much beneath my contempt...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#38 VancouverStyle

VancouverStyle

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

There are far worse franchises than the Leafs.

I agree, i dont like the leafs as much as the next fan, but there has
to be franchises worse then the leafs.

#39 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,016 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Of the top 50 sports franchises not one NHL team is listed. (Showing how much money the NFL, international soccer, even Formula 1 racing teams make.)

http://www.forbes.co...e-sports-teams/

Here is the listing of franchises based on value from Forbes magazine. Ironically they can figure out stuff where ESPN can't.
I hate the Leafs, but making money is not a problem for them. They might not be run well, or draft well, but they are a powerhouse in the league.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 08 September 2012 - 10:07 AM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#40 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

This is what happens when Americans try to pretend they own a Canadian sport, they are clueless to the sport. Only looking to try and benefit their own country, then supporting another one. The only reason half of the American franchises are still in their city is, because of Canadian franchises that support their poor butts to even stay in the NHL, because Canadian franchises do so well financially. Typical Americans that take everything for granted, hey ESPN you should try and do a poll on fan turn outs in Florida and Tampa compared to your 2 lowest so called Canadian teams, and really see who supports which team more.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#41 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

I agree, i dont like the leafs as much as the next fan, but there has
to be franchises worse then the leafs.

Ya there is, Atlanta was one and now they are gone, New York Islanders are one who need to be moved, Columbus is a joke year after year and fans are showing they don't care really anymore. Well before Florida made the playoffs, they had no fan base, if they don't make the playoffs this year, I can bet again their fan base will be gone. Minnesota Wild have been a joke and fans are starting to see it especially when they never can make the playoffs, but they don't get the fan support like a Toronto Maple Leaf.

The Phoenix Coyotes is a team that should be MOVED, the only time their stadium is ever full is when they make the playoffs, they don't have the fan support during the season even when they are winning, it is a sad place for a hockey team. Even more sad is that Canadian franchises have to support teams like Phoenix, because for some reason Bettman thinks it's a hockey town, or that's the BS lie he wants us to believe.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#42 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

What kind of screwed up ranking system is this? Tampa Bay? What?

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#43 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,003 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

Some real dumb-ass claims being made by ESPN there, but the Leafs taking #1 is definitely entertaining - no credibility to their study - it just looks like they contrived a fairly weak way to take a shot at Toronto.
In-game performance alone and Toronto may compete for #1... :bigblush:

#44 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Just another reason they need to trade for Luongo.
Posted Image

#45 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

How can they explain that the Leafs are worst while the Phoenix Coyotes are still in existence? At least they can sell tickets once in a while.

Have you experienced a game in Phoenix? Its a fabulous arena, rabid fans(lots of Canadians) and a really fun experience, lots of fan participation, way better than Vancouver experience! I pay between 40 and 22.00 for my seats !! The fact that previous ownership had financial troubles should not reflect on the team or franchise !

#46 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

As much as I hate the Leafs, there are worse franchises out there, like Columbus perhaps? And how did they come up with OKC as the best franchise in sports???

They had one great season, but can't even be considered the best team in the NBA now that LAK have Nash and Howard, I'm also pretty certain LAK and Miami bring in more revenue and have equally as passionate fans as OKC.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#47 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

I don't understand how the Canucks are pegged behind Ottawa and Winnipeg. The Vancouver Canucks are the best Canadian hockey team playing hockey at the moment and have one of the best ownerships in the league.

The Canucks should be ranked above the Senators and Jets.

You know the list is a joke when the highest ranked franchise from the NHL is the Phoenix Coyotes and the Florida Panthers crack the top 5.

Edited by Canucksbiggestfan, 09 September 2012 - 01:02 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#48 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,712 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

I don't understand how the Canucks are pegged behind Ottawa and Winnipeg. The Vancouver Canucks are the best Canadian hockey team playing hockey at the moment and have one of the best ownerships in the league.

The Canucks should be ranked above the Senators and Jets.

You know the list is a joke when the highest ranked franchise from the NHL is the Phoenix Coyotes and the Florida Panthers crack the top 5.

they take ticket prices into account that's how Phoenix and Florida got up so high

#49 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

they take ticket prices into account that's how Phoenix and Florida got up so high

Yes but they also take in ownership, fan relations, players, stadium experience, etc...

Phoenix doesn't even have ownership, and since when did Florida or Phoenix become a lively arena other then during the playoffs.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 austy

austy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

I'm Aussie so I guess I don't really get the old hate toronto thing. I like all the Canadian teams, not as much as the Canucks but heh, at least they plenty of rabid fans, good attendances etc. better that apathetic fans in Phoenix. I love the rivalry, but don't wish them ill will as a franchise.

please be gentle with my posts...I am Australian, hockey isnt my first language.

#51 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

Espn.......fully qualified to recognise FAIL
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.