The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did the Canucks Lose so bad then ?

Ballisticsports.

Since Hockey news a lil slow and non existent now, I thought I might promote some discussion, as I was wondering myself ?

How does the 1997 Canucks Team with a roster consisting of

Pavel Bure

Trevor Linden

Alexander Mogilny

Marcus Naslund

Todd Bertuzzi

Martin Gelinas

Geoff Sanderson

Brad May

Peter Zezel

Gino Odjick

Donald Brashear

Mattias Ohlund

Jyrki Lumme

Adrian Aucoin

Bryan Mcabe

Dana Murzyn

Grant Ledyard

Steve Staios

Kirk Mclean

Sean Burke

Arturs Irbe

Corey Hirsch

Not only did they not compete for the Stanley Cup, But they did not even make the Playoffs ?

I dont think its as easy to blame Messiers presence

He was still a good player and wanted to win

As did the Canucks with Many Leadership qualities among them

I dont remember much of these times,but they looked like they had a good mix of Skill, Speed, Toughness, Leadership, Veterans, Youth Goaltending

Keenan was the coach

It looks like Todays team would have a tough time beating this one (on paper anyways)

Since Hockey news a lil slow and non existent now, I thought I might promote some discussion, as I was wondering myself ?

How does the 1997 Canucks Team with a roster consisting of

Pavel Bure

Trevor Linden

Alexander Mogilny

Marcus Naslund

Todd Bertuzzi

Martin Gelinas

Geoff Sanderson

Brad May

Peter Zezel

Gino Odjick

Donald Brashear

Mattias Ohlund

Jyrki Lumme

Adrian Aucoin

Bryan Mcabe

Dana Murzyn

Grant Ledyard

Steve Staios

Kirk Mclean

Sean Burke

Arturs Irbe

Corey Hirsch

Not only did they not compete for the Stanley Cup, But they did not even make the Playoffs ?

I dont think its as easy to blame Messiers presence

He was still a good player and wanted to win

As did the Canucks with Many Leadership qualities among them

I dont remember much of these times,but they looked like they had a good mix of Skill, Speed, Toughness, Leadership, Veterans, Youth Goaltending

Keenan was the coach

It looks like Todays team would have a tough time beating this one (on paper anyways)

I remember that season, even have old Hockey News magazines and books from the late 90s. Anytime I get upset with the current Canucks, I look over that team.

I won't even consult those books for this though.

Pavel Bure - He stopped playing the physical game. He never stopped scoring, but he was streaky and it was obvious he wasn't happy in Vancouver and that he wanted out.

Trevor Linden - He did not mesh with Keenan at all. Few did.

Mark Messier - He was a total disaster in Vancouver through injury and unrealistic expectations heaped on him by the team and fans alike.

Alexander Mogilny - No one floated more than Mogilny. He was invisible and disinterested a LOT.

Marcus Naslund - As others have said, Markus (not Marcus) wasn't the 40 goal scorer he would become and was also a disaster early on in his Canucks career.

Todd Bertuzzi - He had injury issues and took time to develop as power forwards do.

Martin Gelinas - He was the one Canuck I was really upset over losing from that era, probably moreso than Greg Adams or Cliff Ronning who went a few years earlier.

Geoff Sanderson - He was a plug in Vancouver. He was very overrated and streaky.

Brad May - Why is he on the list? He was a decent fourth line guy, but never a game breaker.

Peter Zezel - Tail end of his career when he came to Vancouver. Not a top 6 guy at that point.

Gino Odjick - His days as a useful third line guy were done then.

Donald Brashear - He wound up scoring eleven goals one season more due to a lack of anyone to play ahead of him than anything else.

Mattias Ohlund - Rookie, talented, not a game breaker at that point either though.

Jyrki Lumme - On his way out the door, no one on the blueline has ever made me shout "Shoot the puck!" more than Lumme.

Adrian Aucoin - He had a couple of decent seasons, but he was young at that point as well.

Bryan Mcabe - McCabe would become a good defenceman and then get shipped out to get us the Sedins. In 97, he was still starting out.

Dana Murzyn - Great team guy, but a total pylon.

Grant Ledyard - He barely played for the Canucks, career was done when he got here.

Steve Staios - I am honestly surprised at the career he has put together since he was very average and lacked anything that made him look like a full time NHLer when he was here.

Kirk Mclean - Some careers slowly go downhill. Others steamroll into oblivion. McLean steamrolled.

Sean Burke - He never got a chance to prove himself in Vancouver. He came and went quickly after, part of the goalie graveyard issue.

Arturs Irbe - He was the most talented goaltender we had in the late 90s, but he was short so Keenan wanted him gone. It still baffles me that they let him go.

Corey Hirsch - There were flashes from Hirsch, but he never showed enough to convince anyone he was a starter at any point.

So, yeah, there isn't a good Canucks story to be had with any of these players at that time. The ownership was a joke, GM position in shambles, coaching without a plan and a team that didn't want to play in Vancouver and barely seemed to like each other some nights. They played like a team that was trying not to lose instead of a team that wanted to win.

This is why I appreciate the team the Canucks have now that much more.

I remember that season, even have old Hockey News magazines and books from the late 90s. Anytime I get upset with the current Canucks, I look over that team.

I won't even consult those books for this though.

Pavel Bure - He stopped playing the physical game. He never stopped scoring, but he was streaky and it was obvious he wasn't happy in Vancouver and that he wanted out.

Trevor Linden - He did not mesh with Keenan at all. Few did.

Mark Messier - He was a total disaster in Vancouver through injury and unrealistic expectations heaped on him by the team and fans alike.

Alexander Mogilny - No one floated more than Mogilny. He was invisible and disinterested a LOT.

Marcus Naslund - As others have said, Markus (not Marcus) wasn't the 40 goal scorer he would become and was also a disaster early on in his Canucks career.

Todd Bertuzzi - He had injury issues and took time to develop as power forwards do.

Martin Gelinas - He was the one Canuck I was really upset over losing from that era, probably moreso than Greg Adams or Cliff Ronning who went a few years earlier.

Geoff Sanderson - He was a plug in Vancouver. He was very overrated and streaky.

Brad May - Why is he on the list? He was a decent fourth line guy, but never a game breaker.

Peter Zezel - Tail end of his career when he came to Vancouver. Not a top 6 guy at that point.

Gino Odjick - His days as a useful third line guy were done then.

Donald Brashear - He wound up scoring eleven goals one season more due to a lack of anyone to play ahead of him than anything else.

Mattias Ohlund - Rookie, talented, not a game breaker at that point either though.

Jyrki Lumme - On his way out the door, no one on the blueline has ever made me shout "Shoot the puck!" more than Lumme.

Adrian Aucoin - He had a couple of decent seasons, but he was young at that point as well.

Bryan Mcabe - McCabe would become a good defenceman and then get shipped out to get us the Sedins. In 97, he was still starting out.

Dana Murzyn - Great team guy, but a total pylon.

Grant Ledyard - He barely played for the Canucks, career was done when he got here.

Steve Staios - I am honestly surprised at the career he has put together since he was very average and lacked anything that made him look like a full time NHLer when he was here.

Kirk Mclean - Some careers slowly go downhill. Others steamroll into oblivion. McLean steamrolled.

Sean Burke - He never got a chance to prove himself in Vancouver. He came and went quickly after, part of the goalie graveyard issue.

Arturs Irbe - He was the most talented goaltender we had in the late 90s, but he was short so Keenan wanted him gone. It still baffles me that they let him go.

Corey Hirsch - There were flashes from Hirsch, but he never showed enough to convince anyone he was a starter at any point.

So, yeah, there isn't a good Canucks story to be had with any of these players at that time. The ownership was a joke, GM position in shambles, coaching without a plan and a team that didn't want to play in Vancouver and barely seemed to like each other some nights. They played like a team that was trying not to lose instead of a team that wanted to win.

This is why I appreciate the team the Canucks have now that much more.

I wasn't properly into the Canucks and the NHL for that matter until the early 2000's. I know the late 90's were a dark time and when you see a team on paper you can't assume they will win the cup. I mean this time last year I thought Canucks looked better than the previous year and we were knocked out in the first round. Never thought LA would even be in the finals to begin with, yet they won the cup...

Archived