The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did the Canucks Lose so bad then ?

Ballisticsports.

Since Hockey news a lil slow and non existent now, I thought I might promote some discussion, as I was wondering myself ?

How does the 1997 Canucks Team with a roster consisting of

Pavel Bure

Trevor Linden

Mark Messier (oops,forgot to include him on the original post)

Alexander Mogilny

Marcus Naslund

Todd Bertuzzi

Martin Gelinas

Geoff Sanderson

Brad May

Peter Zezel

Gino Odjick

Donald Brashear

Mattias Ohlund

Jyrki Lumme

Adrian Aucoin

Bryan Mcabe

Dana Murzyn

Grant Ledyard

Steve Staios

Kirk Mclean

Sean Burke

Arturs Irbe

Corey Hirsch

Not only did they not compete for the Stanley Cup, But they did not even make the Playoffs ?

I dont think its as easy to blame Messiers presence

He was still a good player and wanted to win

As did the Canucks with Many Leadership qualities among them

I dont remember much of these times,but they looked like they had a good mix of Skill, Speed, Toughness, Leadership, Veterans, Youth Goaltending

Keenan was the coach

It looks like Todays team would have a tough time beating this one (on paper anyways)

Let's see... Pavel Bure was not wanting to be in Vancouver by that point, even with the extra minutes under Iron Mike,

Marcus Naslund was not the superstar yet that he became, Gino Odjick's best days were behind him,

Dana Murzyn was still playing like Dana Murzyn, Kirk Mclean had hit the bottle after separating with his wife, the general chemistry on the team was sour, there was no proper system in place and no priority on defense. The games were high scoring with plenty of toughness, but we often wound up the loser.

Let's see... Pavel Bure was not wanting to be in Vancouver by that point, even with the extra minutes under Iron Mike,

Marcus Naslund was not the superstar yet that he became, Gino Odjick's best days were behind him,

Dana Murzyn was still playing like Dana Murzyn, Kirk Mclean had hit the bottle after separating with his wife, the general chemistry on the team was sour, there was no proper system in place and no priority on defense. The games were high scoring with plenty of toughness, but we often wound up the loser.

Too many players getting passed their prime (Odjick, Murzyn, Maclean.. Dave Babych was on his 17th season)

And too many players yet to blossom to their future capabilities (Naslund, Bertuzzi, Ohlund, McCabe)

Also a lot of bad coaching, player disputes, bad chemistry... Just not a great time for this team

Ok well that list isn't that accurate. Alot of those players were not a part of the team all at once 1997. In fact Bertuzzi, Mccabe, Geoff Sanderson, Peter Zezel, Brad May, Sean Burke were not Canucks until 1998.

Bertuzzi and Mccabe were traded for Linden. Brad May was traded for Geoff Sanderson. McLean and Gelinas were traded for Sanderson, Burke and Ciccone and a couple months later Sean Burke himself was traded for Garth Snow and all these moves happened in the early part of 1998 (calendar year).

So as you can see, there was a lot of transition, there was no chemistry amongst the players. Most of the players did not want to play for Keenan. There was the Bure distraction, the organization itself was not very well run, they were in financial trouble. I'm not sure how old you are and maybe you're too young to remember but the late 90's was a dark period in Canucks history. As hard as it is to believe today but not every game was sold out, there wasn't a waiting list to get season tickets, The Canucks were not a hot ticket and were not too far away from perhaps being re-located.

Of course Naslund and Bertuzzi at the time were not the stars they became later on aswell.

Since Hockey news a lil slow and non existent now, I thought I might promote some discussion, as I was wondering myself ?

How does the 1997 Canucks Team with a roster consisting of

Pavel Bure

Trevor Linden

Alexander Mogilny

Marcus Naslund

Todd Bertuzzi

Martin Gelinas

Geoff Sanderson

Brad May

Peter Zezel

Gino Odjick

Donald Brashear

Mattias Ohlund

Jyrki Lumme

Adrian Aucoin

Bryan Mcabe

Dana Murzyn

Grant Ledyard

Steve Staios

Kirk Mclean

Sean Burke

Arturs Irbe

Corey Hirsch

This roster is incorrect. For one, Linden and Bertuzzi/McCabe cannot be on the team at the same time as Linden was traded for Bert and McCabe in early 1998.

How do we have 4 goalies?

The 96 - 97 team also had Mike Ridley, who centred Bure and Mogilny. Mogilny came out in public criticizing the lack of talent in Ridley as not being worthy to play with Bure and himself. In 1997 off season they signed Messier, which didn't make things better.

This roster is incorrect. For one, Linden and Bertuzzi/McCabe cannot be on the team at the same time as Linden was traded for Bert and McCabe in early 1998.

The 96 - 97 team also had Mike Ridley, who centred Bure and Mogilny. Mogilny came out in public criticizing the lack of talent in Ridley as not being worthy to play with Bure and himself. In 1997 off season they signed Messier, which didn't make things better.

IThis roster is incorrect. For one, Linden and Bertuzzi/McCabe cannot be on the team at the same time as Linden was traded for Bert and McCabe in early 1998.

Archived