113 replies to this topic

#61 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

Just about anybody's career would steamroll if their wife was cheating on them with a co-worker(teammate).

Plenty of fish in the sea and then there is that one intangible that all people must have-freedom.
She don't want you?
You is free at last.
His game should have peaked.

#62 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Blame Luongo.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#63 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

I would take those over missing the playoffs year in and year out and not improving.

People who remember the dark Keenan years should realize how fortunate we are to have such stable ownership and a chance to win every season.

If we knock on the door enough times year after year, eventually we're gonna break through. Until then it's important to look on the bright side, and not be bitter self loathing fans.

we haven't been knocking on the door year after year. we only got to the door once in 2011.
we've tripped on the stairs every year other than that including this year.
Posted Image

#64 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

Good points D-Bo7 and brewdog ^^. Noted but still not satisfied.

I think what we're trying to say is in order to grow as a fan with a team you need to acknowledge/celebrate the accomplishments. Even if they come in the regular season. Sure you don't celebrate them as if they are the pinnacle of hockey success but a cup or bust mentality will ultimately lead to disappointment most years (only 1 team can win the cup after all) and chances are you'll miss out on a lot of the journey when a Canuck team eventually does win the cup because you won't start really investing time until the Canucks are on the verge of winning.

Being a fan isn't about cheering for the winner. It's about cheering for the team that you are passionate about, through thick and thin. There's nothing wrong with criticizing the team, we all have ideas on what this team needs to do. But to say anything less than a cup is utter failure. Well, that's no fun.

#65 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,827 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

we haven't been knocking on the door year after year. we only got to the door once in 2011.

1982? 1994?
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#66 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

Any year you make the playoffs you have a chance to win, even if you're an 8th seed.

Pretty much every year the Canucks have been knocked out in the last 5 years has been by some of the most dominant teams in playoff history (Ducks, Blackhawks, Kings), and were the eventual cup winners. The more years in a row we make the playoffs, the better chance that we give ourselves to not run into a team like that, but rather be that team.

You can be a pessimist all you want, I like to believe that we are getting closer and closer to the prize. Not unlike the Detroit Red Wings that lost in the finals in 95' only to come back two years later and win back to back cups. They also won the president's trophy two years in a row before winning it all.

#67 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

Any year you make the playoffs you have a chance to win, even if you're an 8th seed.

Pretty much every year the Canucks have been knocked out in the last 5 years has been by some of the most dominant teams in playoff history (Ducks, Blackhawks, Kings), and were the eventual cup winners. The more years in a row we make the playoffs, the better chance that we give ourselves to not run into a team like that, but rather be that team.

You can be a pessimist all you want, I like to believe that we are getting closer and closer to the prize. Not unlike the Detroit Red Wings that lost in the finals in 95' only to come back two years later and win back to back cups. They also won the president's trophy two years in a row before winning it all.

Couldn't put it much better myself.

If it's all for naught, and the Canucks don't win a Stanley Cup in this window? I'll still be right here cheering the rebuild along, just as I cheered along those "slow skating" Swedish twins that were going to be a disaster. You never know what will happen in sports. That's what makes it so much fun.

Edited by Wilbur, 10 September 2012 - 10:36 PM.

#68 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

While they may be different events altogether, if Sweden and its star-studded SLC 2002 lineup could lose to Belarus, then anything can happen.

#69 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

that detroit team was a powerhouse from the coach on down.
to compare this version of the canucks to that team and think that we can duplicate what they did is laughable.
Posted Image

#70 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

Plenty of fish in the sea and then there is that one intangible that all people must have-freedom.
She don't want you?
You is free at last.
His game should have peaked.

My guess is you have never been happily married.

#71 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

dp

Edited by canucks.bradley, 11 September 2012 - 06:36 PM.

Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#72 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

are you off Your meds?
Geez if not please look into something
Naslund was Not a 18 yr old kid
He was 24 !
Naslund was Not the 1st line Player,So Naslund Never had to play against the Top players in the League
I Never said Naslund was the Naslund he would later become
I said he had to have had the skill set and dedication to have become that player
Try comprehending what You read,before spouting off on someone

In
2001 Henrik Sedin was 20
2005 Kesler was 21
Stamkos became the 6th player in NHL history to score over 50 goals before turning 23
your point and logic are ?

I suggest that makes Your Post the most bs You should have read all day ! ( problem is Your comprehending what You write too I suppose) and therefore makes Your logic flawed

reserving a spot to bash you later

edit: but the just of my post will be that each player takes a different time to mature and develop into a dominant player.

which is why Naslund and Bertuzzi...Ohlund and McCabe for that reason were not developed and were yet to become dominant players. See 2002-2003 season (5 years after aka 5 years if development).

Ill see your most bs post of the day and raise you "your thread is the worst i have seen all year"
Posted Image

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#73 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

I'd weigh in but I wasn't even 10 at the time, so.
Posted Image

#74 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

I think what we're trying to say is in order to grow as a fan with a team you need to acknowledge/celebrate the accomplishments. Even if they come in the regular season. Sure you don't celebrate them as if they are the pinnacle of hockey success but a cup or bust mentality will ultimately lead to disappointment most years (only 1 team can win the cup after all) and chances are you'll miss out on a lot of the journey when a Canuck team eventually does win the cup because you won't start really investing time until the Canucks are on the verge of winning.

Being a fan isn't about cheering for the winner. It's about cheering for the team that you are passionate about, through thick and thin. There's nothing wrong with criticizing the team, we all have ideas on what this team needs to do. But to say anything less than a cup is utter failure. Well, that's no fun.

Very true. However for fans like myself who have been on board for 20+ years or more, the playoff disappointments tend to outweigh the regular season accomplishments, though I cant speak for everyone.
The successes we've had recently have been fun to see, but when all you really want to see is a championship and you keep waiting and waiting year after year with the wrong result, needless to say it get's pretty tough.
I've witnessed the '94 and '11 cup runs and obviously they were both crushing defeats, my starvation for a championship has gotten to the point where it is pretty much Stanley Cup or bust, though I do enjoy the ride every year until it ends.
We came so close not even a year and a half ago, and we have had a very good team for the last few years. We definitely have a team that can win, it's hard though because it seems that we are so close lately but always so far away.
So anyway, this is why I personally dont get very excited about the banners we have at Rogers Arena.

#75 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

to compare this version of the canucks to that team and think that we can duplicate what they did is laughable.

Open your eyes junior, this Canucks team is a powerhouse from the coach on down.

To all the AV haters, Bowman won the president's trophy two years in a row without winning the cup, and that Red Wings team got swept in the finals in their first appearance. I'm sure people were even calling for Bowman's head at the time.

So no, to compare a team with two MVP's and Art Ross Winners, a Selke winner, a Jack Adams winner, and a Jennings winner is not laughable.

I'll remind you that the league was ALOT less competitive then, and the Red Wings had the same advantage of being in a weak division.

And FYI, those players are hall of famers because they won the cup. It took winning it all to make them legendary players, just like it will take the Sedins, Kesler, and the rest of the team to do that.

Edited by D-Bo7, 11 September 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#76 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

Oh, and I'll add that Yzerman was 32 when he won his first cup, the same age that the Sedins will be this season.

Him and Fedarov were also both below a point per game average in the regular season and the playoffs, both years they won the cup.

#77 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

Open your eyes junior, this Canucks team is a powerhouse from the coach on down.

To all the AV haters, Bowman won the president's trophy two years in a row without winning the cup, and that Red Wings team got swept in the finals in their first appearance. I'm sure people were even calling for Bowman's head at the time.

So no, to compare a team with two MVP's and Art Ross Winners, a Selke winner, a Jack Adams winner, and a Jennings winner is not laughable.

I'll remind you that the league was ALOT less competitive then, and the Red Wings had the same advantage of being in a weak division.

And FYI, those players are hall of famers because they won the cup. It took winning it all to make them legendary players, just like it will take the Sedins, Kesler, and the rest of the team to do that.

see below re competitiveness son:

Those teams, minus St Louis, owned the Western Conference.

Our best had no chance against;

Colorado
Forsberg, Sakic, Hejduk, Tanguay, Blake, Foote, Roy

Detroit
Yzerman, Federov, Larionov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Chelios, Hasek

Dallas
Modano, Hull, Nieuwendyk, Hatcher, Zubov, Sydor, Belfour

as for the hall of fame, you get there by carrying your team to a cup. something the sedins and kesler failed at epically and will most likely never do.

Edited by winacup, 11 September 2012 - 05:46 PM.

Posted Image

#78 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,827 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

as for the hall of fame, you get there by carrying your team to a cup. something the sedins and kesler will never do.

:picard: If it weren't for Kesler we wouldn't have gotten past Nashville two years ago. Now stop saying crap like that.
Posted Image

#79 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

even with a 2-0 lead in the scf those guys couldn't get it done. they'll never get another chance like that again.
Posted Image

#80 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,827 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

even with a 2-0 lead in the scf those guys couldn't get it done. they'll never get another chance like that again.

That's because we had 60% of the roster injured. And you can't say they won't go to the SCF again because we've only lost 3 guys from that team (Torres, Ehrhoff, and Salo) and gained Kassian, Garrison, and whatever we get for Luongo. So again, you can't say that unless you know absolutley nothing about hockey.
Posted Image

#81 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

what happened this year then.........
Posted Image

#82 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,827 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

what happened this year then.........

We lost to a team that was just starting a domination of the playoffs is what happened.
Posted Image

#83 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

as for the hall of fame, you get there by carrying your team to a cup. something the sedins and kesler failed at epically and will most likely never do.

You must have not read my post at all, or ignored it because it hurt your argument too badly. Yzerman lead his team to the final and got swept by the Devils. I guess everyone was calling him an epic failure at the time then too.

But he came back 2 years later and won the cup at age 32. Something you can't say the Sedins won't do. Unless you're one of those posters who likes to think they have a magic crystal ball.

And again, you can list all those hall of fame players. But like you said, you get in the hall of fame by winning the cup. None of those players would be hall of famers if they didn't win the cup.

If the Canucks win a couple cups, the Sedins would be right there with them in the hall of fame. Until then, I'm gonna remain hopeful that they can do that. You can believe whatever you want.

#84 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Very true. However for fans like myself who have been on board for 20+ years or more, the playoff disappointments tend to outweigh the regular season accomplishments, though I cant speak for everyone.
The successes we've had recently have been fun to see, but when all you really want to see is a championship and you keep waiting and waiting year after year with the wrong result, needless to say it get's pretty tough.
I've witnessed the '94 and '11 cup runs and obviously they were both crushing defeats, my starvation for a championship has gotten to the point where it is pretty much Stanley Cup or bust, though I do enjoy the ride every year until it ends.
We came so close not even a year and a half ago, and we have had a very good team for the last few years. We definitely have a team that can win, it's hard though because it seems that we are so close lately but always so far away.
So anyway, this is why I personally dont get very excited about the banners we have at Rogers Arena.

I think we're actually pretty much on the same page.

On a scale between
(cheering everything like it's a cup win) -to- (only a cup matters)

I bet we would both be close to the middle on that scale. I just find the "only a cup matters" frustrating because it excludes so much out that makes being a fan fun. I get tired of people discounting any accomplishments because the Canucks have never won a cup. I realize you aren't guilty of this but there are other people on this board that are.

#85 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

we lost both years because we don't have the players to get it done.
Posted Image

#86 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

reserving a spot to bash you later

edit: but the just of my post will be that each player takes a different time to mature and develop into a dominant player.

which is why Naslund and Bertuzzi...Ohlund and McCabe for that reason were not developed and were yet to become dominant players. See 2002-2003 season (5 years after aka 5 years if development).

Ill see your most bs post of the day and raise you "your thread is the worst i have seen all year"

Sorry Juniour
You beeked off big time and were exposed for spewing crap that had no validity :)
Your post was nothing but beeking off, with no substance or accuracy
You really should forget talking about players Maturing, when you haven't yourself

Ouch,The worst post all year ha ha
Who cares,its a post
read it or not
I am not looking for a Pulitzer

#87 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

we lost both years because we don't have the players to get it done.

Newsflash. 29 teams every season lose because they don't have the players to get it done. There can only be one team with the players to get it done.

The Canucks have shown they have the players that can get to the dance, right now they just need to make sure they get the players that can help them win it all.

#88 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

as others have posted here 2011 was an anomaly.
this group has shown over the last number of years that they usually make it no further than the second round. we can expect more of the same going forward. they're just not good enough to win it all.

Edited by winacup, 11 September 2012 - 06:25 PM.

Posted Image

#89 NucksBruins

NucksBruins

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

Before the Red Wings won that first Cup, they were regularly nicknamed the Dead Things. There was considerable criticism of Yzerman's ability to lead the team to the Finals and there was considerable laughter after the Sharks upset them in the first round prior to their winning it all.
Posted Image

#90 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

We lost to a team that was just starting a domination of the playoffs is what happened.

seems to happen a lot haha
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.