The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Alex Friesen be the Canucks version of Brad Marchand?

Southpop45

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In my opinion, no Alex will not be the Canucks version of Brad Marchand for two reasons - one is that Marchand is much more dynamic offensively than Friesen, and two is that Friesen does not carry himself the way Marchand does.

Marchand has won gold on a WJC team and has shown great offensive potential in the juniors before making the NHL. Friesen, on the other hand, has not yet shown that offensive promise to be a top 6 player. I think naturally, Marchand is more talented offensively than Friesen, and that's why he won't be as effective as Marchand in that category - if that was what you were looking for.

However, Friesen has shown more intangibles than Marchand - namely, leadership and grit. Marchand plays a role of a pest who gets under people's skin, but will not stand up for himself or fight most of the time. Rather, he plays to draw a penalty. Friesen, on the other hand, will rock you with a solid hit and isn't afraid to drop the gloves to protect himself or his teammates.

I think Friesen is more comparable to Mike Peca than Marchand - an honest, hard-working player who isn't flashy offensively but can chip in here and there. Friesen could end up on the top 6 in his prime, but he would be an excellent top 9 forward down the road IMO.

I look forward to watching him destroy Taylor Hall in the NHL too.

marchand is going to learn just like tucker learned.

boston rivals are bulking up and the players on boston aren't going to like him much when other teams headhunt there stars. steve ott will be a huge problem for boston because he's going to do exactly what marchand does i. as for chara take a page out of marchand book again and turtle or just hide till the ref get invovled then pretend to be tough again. remember marchand was a guy that admitted he was scared of salo.

Because he's effective not only on the scoresheet, but also at getting under people's skin (as evidenced by most of the replies in this thread)?

The Torres comparison was brought up earlier and that's a great example of how CDC was willing to cheer for a player like that when he was on our team, but any other team's agitator is the worst thing to happen to the league and we shouldn't want him anywhere near the Canucks. :lol:

People don't like Marchand for his antics, yet they still like Bertuzzi? ;)

Also I don't think Friesen will become as good as Marchand, not many 6th rounders ever make it to the NHL, but if he does I'd be happy with him just being a fll-timer, a solid 3rd or 4th line centreman.

In my opinion, no Alex will not be the Canucks version of Brad Marchand for two reasons - one is that Marchand is much more dynamic offensively than Friesen, and two is that Friesen does not carry himself the way Marchand does.

Marchand has won gold on a WJC team and has shown great offensive potential in the juniors before making the NHL. Friesen, on the other hand, has not yet shown that offensive promise to be a top 6 player. I think naturally, Marchand is more talented offensively than Friesen, and that's why he won't be as effective as Marchand in that category - if that was what you were looking for.

However, Friesen has shown more intangibles than Marchand - namely, leadership and grit. Marchand plays a role of a pest who gets under people's skin, but will not stand up for himself or fight most of the time. Rather, he plays to draw a penalty. Friesen, on the other hand, will rock you with a solid hit and isn't afraid to drop the gloves to protect himself or his teammates.

I think Friesen is more comparable to Mike Peca than Marchand - an honest, hard-working player who isn't flashy offensively but can chip in here and there. Friesen could end up on the top 6 in his prime, but he would be an excellent top 9 forward down the road IMO.

I think this video should quiet any doubters who think Friesen's size is an issue for him. Taylor Hall was deemed the most NHL ready prospect that year, and Friesen is able to man-handle him with that hit. He plays an intelligent game and though not a big player in stature, he plays big and makes most of his opportunities due to his intelligence.

Hall made the NHL the very next season - I'd imagine that Friesen then too is NHL-ready physically by now. All it takes now is the hard work to get caught up to the speed of the game at the pro level and learn the system - and with his work ethic, I think this would be a rather quick process. I could see Friesen surprising quite a few people in Chicago this season.

with the signing of marchand today i started to take a good look at his stats along with style of play and i see a lot of things in common with canucks prospect alex friesen. same height ( 5'9 ) and same weight ( around 180 pounds ). same style of play, hard working checking agitator who just does not go away.

as much as marchand is hated around the league and especially here in vancouver, there is no doubt that he is a player everyone would love to have on their team. say what you want but a plus/minus of 25, nearly 60 point season and a guy who can get under anyones skin. that is someone you want on your team. dont get me wrong i hate marchand as much as the next canuck fan but if friesen can be anything close to what marchand is now then the canucks got themselfs a great player coming up.

now friesen is going to play in the ahl next year because he needs to prove that he can pay agaisnt men. but guys like marchand and camillari have proven that guys who are 5'9 can still play in todays nhl, so there is hope for friesen. what do you guys think can alex friesen be the next brad marchand and is that a fair comparison between the two?

I loathe Marchand as a hockey player and what from what i've seen, as a person also. I'd hate for him to be on the Canucks. He's not only an agitator but a full on diver. Torres and him aren't too much alike, i'd much rather have Torres.

There are a lot of players in this league who i can't stand but would LOVE to have them on the Canucks. Brad Marchand is absolutely not one of them.

Archived