Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Can Alex Friesen be the Canucks version of Brad Marchand?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Poll: Can Alex Friesen be the Canucks version of Brad Marchand? (135 member(s) have cast votes)

will alex friesen ever be a full-time nhler

1. yes (70 votes [51.85%])

Percentage of vote: 51.85%

2. no (65 votes [48.15%])

Percentage of vote: 48.15%

is brad marchand a fair comparison to friesen

1. yes (25 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

2. no (110 votes [81.48%])

Percentage of vote: 81.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

In my opinion, no Alex will not be the Canucks version of Brad Marchand for two reasons - one is that Marchand is much more dynamic offensively than Friesen, and two is that Friesen does not carry himself the way Marchand does.

Marchand has won gold on a WJC team and has shown great offensive potential in the juniors before making the NHL. Friesen, on the other hand, has not yet shown that offensive promise to be a top 6 player. I think naturally, Marchand is more talented offensively than Friesen, and that's why he won't be as effective as Marchand in that category - if that was what you were looking for.

However, Friesen has shown more intangibles than Marchand - namely, leadership and grit. Marchand plays a role of a pest who gets under people's skin, but will not stand up for himself or fight most of the time. Rather, he plays to draw a penalty. Friesen, on the other hand, will rock you with a solid hit and isn't afraid to drop the gloves to protect himself or his teammates.

I think Friesen is more comparable to Mike Peca than Marchand - an honest, hard-working player who isn't flashy offensively but can chip in here and there. Friesen could end up on the top 6 in his prime, but he would be an excellent top 9 forward down the road IMO.

I look forward to watching him destroy Taylor Hall in the NHL too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV14jLzRW5M

I think this video should quiet any doubters who think Friesen's size is an issue for him. Taylor Hall was deemed the most NHL ready prospect that year, and Friesen is able to man-handle him with that hit. He plays an intelligent game and though not a big player in stature, he plays big and makes most of his opportunities due to his intelligence.

Hall made the NHL the very next season - I'd imagine that Friesen then too is NHL-ready physically by now. All it takes now is the hard work to get caught up to the speed of the game at the pro level and learn the system - and with his work ethic, I think this would be a rather quick process. I could see Friesen surprising quite a few people in Chicago this season.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#62 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

marchand is going to learn just like tucker learned.
boston rivals are bulking up and the players on boston aren't going to like him much when other teams headhunt there stars. steve ott will be a huge problem for boston because he's going to do exactly what marchand does i. as for chara take a page out of marchand book again and turtle or just hide till the ref get invovled then pretend to be tough again. remember marchand was a guy that admitted he was scared of salo.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#63 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Because he's effective not only on the scoresheet, but also at getting under people's skin (as evidenced by most of the replies in this thread)?

The Torres comparison was brought up earlier and that's a great example of how CDC was willing to cheer for a player like that when he was on our team, but any other team's agitator is the worst thing to happen to the league and we shouldn't want him anywhere near the Canucks. :lol:

I loathe Marchand as a hockey player and what from what i've seen, as a person also. I'd hate for him to be on the Canucks. He's not only an agitator but a full on diver. Torres and him aren't too much alike, i'd much rather have Torres.

There are a lot of players in this league who i can't stand but would LOVE to have them on the Canucks. Brad Marchand is absolutely not one of them.

Edited by DirtyHarry, 09 September 2012 - 10:33 AM.

Posted Image

#64 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

People don't like Marchand for his antics, yet they still like Bertuzzi? ;)

Also I don't think Friesen will become as good as Marchand, not many 6th rounders ever make it to the NHL, but if he does I'd be happy with him just being a fll-timer, a solid 3rd or 4th line centreman.

:picard:

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#65 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Just like Alex Burrows, who is our version of Marchand. He is also our #1 money player. You must not be very happy.

Yea, Burrows is like Marchand...good job, nice comparison.

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#66 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

In my opinion, no Alex will not be the Canucks version of Brad Marchand for two reasons - one is that Marchand is much more dynamic offensively than Friesen, and two is that Friesen does not carry himself the way Marchand does.

Marchand has won gold on a WJC team and has shown great offensive potential in the juniors before making the NHL. Friesen, on the other hand, has not yet shown that offensive promise to be a top 6 player. I think naturally, Marchand is more talented offensively than Friesen, and that's why he won't be as effective as Marchand in that category - if that was what you were looking for.

However, Friesen has shown more intangibles than Marchand - namely, leadership and grit. Marchand plays a role of a pest who gets under people's skin, but will not stand up for himself or fight most of the time. Rather, he plays to draw a penalty. Friesen, on the other hand, will rock you with a solid hit and isn't afraid to drop the gloves to protect himself or his teammates.

I think Friesen is more comparable to Mike Peca than Marchand - an honest, hard-working player who isn't flashy offensively but can chip in here and there. Friesen could end up on the top 6 in his prime, but he would be an excellent top 9 forward down the road IMO.

I think this video should quiet any doubters who think Friesen's size is an issue for him. Taylor Hall was deemed the most NHL ready prospect that year, and Friesen is able to man-handle him with that hit. He plays an intelligent game and though not a big player in stature, he plays big and makes most of his opportunities due to his intelligence.

Hall made the NHL the very next season - I'd imagine that Friesen then too is NHL-ready physically by now. All it takes now is the hard work to get caught up to the speed of the game at the pro level and learn the system - and with his work ethic, I think this would be a rather quick process. I could see Friesen surprising quite a few people in Chicago this season.

Informative post as always Dasein.
Posted Image

#67 .Naslund

.Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

:picard:

:picard: ............. :emot-parrot:
Posted Image

#68 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

Hopefully Marchand's.

I looked at your sig after your post and then I had nothing more to say haha

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#69 I am Score

I am Score

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

I dont want any versrion of Brad Marchand on our team or on any team in the league, what a complete joke.
http://www.evgenimalkin.net/gallery/evgeni-malkin-wallpaper-6.jpg

#70 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'd rather Friesen turn out to be an honourable player. Not some disrespectful cheap-shot artist. Marchand is a punk!

#71 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Marchand is way more talented than Friesen. It's a shame he plays the way he does, he could be really be an amazing player.
Posted Image

#72 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

with the signing of marchand today i started to take a good look at his stats along with style of play and i see a lot of things in common with canucks prospect alex friesen. same height ( 5'9 ) and same weight ( around 180 pounds ). same style of play, hard working checking agitator who just does not go away.

as much as marchand is hated around the league and especially here in vancouver, there is no doubt that he is a player everyone would love to have on their team. say what you want but a plus/minus of 25, nearly 60 point season and a guy who can get under anyones skin. that is someone you want on your team. dont get me wrong i hate marchand as much as the next canuck fan but if friesen can be anything close to what marchand is now then the canucks got themselfs a great player coming up.

now friesen is going to play in the ahl next year because he needs to prove that he can pay agaisnt men. but guys like marchand and camillari have proven that guys who are 5'9 can still play in todays nhl, so there is hope for friesen. what do you guys think can alex friesen be the next brad marchand and is that a fair comparison between the two?

I'd be all in favour of Friesen making this team, assuming he grows another 4" and puts on about another 40 lbs.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#73 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,107 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

I'd rather he turned out to be the Canucks center version of Scott Walker - lower round pick, very hard worker, hard hitter, two-way, defense-first player, some offensive upside, intelligent player with serious character and grit...

You'd rather have Walker over Marchand. You should stop drinking so much, lol :rolleyes:

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#74 Canuckian93

Canuckian93

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Does any one know what actions to take my moms not moving on the toilet seat.
[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/travhave/crosby.jpg/[IMG]

#75 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,157 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

I loathe Marchand as a hockey player and what from what i've seen, as a person also. I'd hate for him to be on the Canucks. He's not only an agitator but a full on diver. Torres and him aren't too much alike, i'd much rather have Torres.

There are a lot of players in this league who i can't stand but would LOVE to have them on the Canucks. Brad Marchand is absolutely not one of them.

So I guess you don't want Kesler on the team either...

#76 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

could kevin connaughton be the canucks version of scott neidermeyer?

sure its possible.. but highley unlikely

#77 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

So I guess you don't want Kesler on the team either...

You're really comparing Kesler to Marchand? ....Okay.
Posted Image

#78 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

You're really comparing Kesler to Marchand? ....Okay.

I hate people like you that avoid questions by stating your own. You hate Marchand because you dives? Then you should should also hate Burrows, the Sedins, and Kesler. Marchand is way more talented than Kesler. Yeah, I said it.

Sig too big. 

#79 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

I hate people like you that avoid questions by stating your own. You hate Marchand because you dives? Then you should should also hate Burrows, the Sedins, and Kesler. Marchand is way more talented than Kesler. Yeah, I said it.

Does Kesler, Burrows and the Sedins go out of their way to purposely injure other players? No they don't. If you're judging talent on being a gutless scumbag of a player, then yes Marchand is more talented than most players in the league.
Posted Image

#80 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

Does Kesler, Burrows and the Sedins go out of their way to purposely injure other players? No they don't. If you're judging talent on being a gutless scumbag of a player, then yes Marchand is more talented than most players in the league.

Oh boy, you're hopeless.

Sig too big. 

#81 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

Oh boy, you're hopeless.

Says the one who thinks Marchand is more talented than Kesler. Ok bud.
Posted Image

#82 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

Says the one who thinks Marchand is more talented than Kesler. Ok bud.

Makes a name for himself as a playoff stud in his rookie season. Also outscored Kesler last year.

Sig too big. 

#83 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Makes a name for himself as a playoff stud in his rookie season. Also outscored Kesler last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqIiy94Wj58

If you're judging Kesler solely on his point totals then you don't know a whole lot about his game, Marchand scored a whole 6 points more than Kesler...not really a huge difference there. In the past two years Kesler scored 122 points where Marchand had 96, if you wanna go there. But comparing the two players doesn't make a lot of sense considering their age, position and what they bring to the table. Burrows would be a better comparison, minus his age.
Posted Image

#84 icedogsfan

icedogsfan

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Alex friesen is a great player. I watched him come to the icedogs as a hot headed kid. he became the top faceoff man in the ohl, he learned to control his temper, he was great on the penalty kill, he doesnt back down from anyone, he can play any position he is put in. He was the heart of our team! Alex just needs the chance to grow in his game as he did with us. I love watching him play!! I am a fan of what ever team he plays for!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.