The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will an iPhone 4s last 10hr travel day playing music?

I'm going to be taking a flight next month and it's about a 10 hour travel day...Anyone know if they iPhone 4s will last that long if I'm playing music most of the time?

I'm thinking it probably wont <_<

It depends on how new it is and how much other programs are running along side the music player. Assuming you can kill the other apps, if it's newer, I'd say yes to "most of the time" meaning not the entire 10 hours but most of that, and letting the thing idle with music playing. However, iPhones like most devices suffer from severe planned obsolescence so it's intended after say a year or so that the battery start to go to s***.

OTOH, because it's a phone I'd just get a charger anyways.

This is what you need. I have one myself. They are great when traveling. Got mine a few years ago at "The Source" (the old Radio Shack). Should be able to find it at Future Shop, Best Buy, London Drugs etc. Over here I think they retail for about $20.

If you're traveling on a decent airline you may have power available at your seat. So bring your USB cord along and one of these. .......

ac-adaptor-mini-white-1.jpg

My 4S lasted 9 hours of travel while playing music for 6-7 of the hours with 18% remaining. Just minimize the brightness, turn off all wireless functions and make sure you don't have any other programs running and if you have the earphones with the controller on them, just use the controller to switch songs. My phone's battery has been great for me though, but hopefully you can have similar results.

Is the battery life honestly that bad on iPhones now?

My Galaxy S3 pushes exchange email all day, syncs two other email accounts, has to stay connected to LTE, has to handle any texts and calls, and I still play music for the entire 8 hours that I'm working at my desk.

My battery is not even below 50% at the end of the day (unplugged from 7am-midnight).

I went to Greece in June and on the 10 hour flight with my Galaxy S2 (before I got my newest phone) it had ~65% left after playing music for 10 hours on flight mode (and a bunch of fruit ninja).

Don't really want to turn this into an argument between smartphones but I'm shocked that people are saying an iPhone cannot do this. In my mind when I read the thread title I thought the answer would be overwhelmingly "yes".

In any case depending which sort of plane you're flying on there very well may be a USB jack on the back of the seat in front of you. That was the case for my flight to and from Paris on my way to Greece (Air Transat).

Archived