Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Stanley Cup Champion Vegas Odds - Canucks still in the running

Value Of

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#31 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

I guess we should just fold the team now and move it to Portland since we're never going to win anything...

My vote would be Seattle.

#32 bure10fan

bure10fan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

good ods on the wild

#33 Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

By the way things are looking, we have a better chance of seeing... Hell Freezing over.

Since it looks like the season will be put on hold...

Edited by Geoff Peterson, 08 September 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#34 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

Edmonton at 40:1 would make for a good sleeper pick. Sooner or later that team is going to explode.

#35 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

It's not narrow-minded. Presumably, each NHL team enters each season with the goal of winning a Stanley Cup. That's why they go out and play every night. That's what they're trying to do - win.

The Canucks have accomplished this 0 times in their existence. Dance around the issue all you want, but that is quite pathetic, which even the most biased of homers on this site would have a hard time disagreeing with. Yes, I'm aware that "there are 29 losers every year". That doesn't really make it sting any less.

The Canucks don't exist to win President's Trophy's, or Smythe Division Championships, or to retire an exorbitant amount of non-Cup-winners' jerseys (believe it or not). To quote Herm Edwards, "[they] play to win the [Cup]!"

Sounds good in theory
Realistically, I think that the players go out to earn a paycheque every game, and that the Owner owns a Team to collect revenue for himself.
They both realise that there has to be some entertainment value to have the customers come back
Players and Owners always say this is a Business
The Stanley Cup is not the reason they exist
That is why they both will risk another season without playing for the Stanley Cup again
The Stanley Cup is the Gravy and reward for a long Season

So many games, mean so little to playing for a Stanley Cup, when almost all teams get in
Just recently, both Boston and LA should never have been allowed to play for the Stanley Cup if it did, they both squeaked in at the last moment
Almost every other professional sports league puts more emphasis on winning a game than just making money, and limit who plays for the Prize at the end of the Season

"The Canucks have accomplished this 0 times in their existence. Dance around the issue all you want, but that is quite pathetic, which even the most biased of homers on this site would have a hard time disagreeing with. Yes, I'm aware that "there are 29 losers every year". That doesn't really make it sting any less."

No one likes to lose,having said that ,The 2010 regular season we had ,and playoff run was exciting and magical, but for 1 Playoff game disappointment, I myself would not want to have missed it I was entertained.
Like the players I am disappointed,but years on, I bet they remember that as exciting too

Edited by ba;;isticsports, 08 September 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#36 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

^ 2011 season*

#37 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

The team doesn't have a great history, right. What the hell is your point exactly? You're not stating anything that people don't already know.

My point was to counter elvis15's assertion that even though they've never won a Cup, they've been "pretty good" at times, and so we should just be happy with what we've got, rather than be upset that we've yet to win it all.

Not an attitude that I agree with.

#38 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Sounds good in theory
Realistically, I think that the players go out to earn a paycheque every game, and that the Owner owns a Team to collect revenue for himself.
They both realise that there has to be some entertainment value to have the customers come back
Players and Owners always say this is a Business
The Stanley Cup is not the reason they exist
That is why they both will risk another season without playing for the Stanley Cup again
The Stanley Cup is the Gravy and reward for a long Season

I agree - and I do think that this is why Canadian players generally tend to be the ones that lead their teams to championships, rather than Swedes, Russians, etc. Canadian kids grow up with the Stanley Cup everywhere. It's the ultimate achievement. It's bigger than life itself. That's not how it is everywhere else - America included - they don't know what it means to us Canadians.

But anyway, my point was that IN THEORY, the team's goal is to win the Cup. I completely agree that some, maybe a large proportion, of the players couldn't care less, and really just use the NHL as a way to finance an awesome life. But in theory these organizations do exist with the purpose of winning Cups.

#39 Beeekz

Beeekz

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

if you want to throw ur money away put it on the nucks.
they'll always find a way to fail.

you don't sound bitter at all... i take it you threw some money away at some point...

tip #1, don't bet with your heart, bet with your head (the one at the top of your body)

#40 Dan G.

Dan G.

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

if you want to throw ur money away put it on the nucks.
they'll always find a way to fail.

Why are you here??

#41 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

And this surprises who?
Posted Image

#42 sharnhayre

sharnhayre

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

read current odds not open odds.. alot has changed since they opened... hence Minnesota going from 60/1 to 25/1

#43 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,900 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

I posted this some months ago or so: http://forum.canucks.../page__hl__odds

307mg00.jpg

#44 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:16 AM

My point was to counter elvis15's assertion that even though they've never won a Cup, they've been "pretty good" at times, and so we should just be happy with what we've got, rather than be upset that we've yet to win it all.

Not an attitude that I agree with.

True, I get that. I would say I'm in the same boat as you. There's no need to sugar coat this crap. There's nothing really to be proud of. I can see how people perceive it as negativity. I would call it being realistic however. But at the same time it sucks balls that we don't have much to talk about in terms of accomplishments so I just tried to avoid it altogether when possible
Posted Image

#45 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,919 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:49 AM

Professional athletes have drive and determination and have been accustomed to winning at most every level of their lives.
Not sure any NHL athlete would not give his all when the marbles are on the line.
They reached the NHL level through achievement of excellence.
It does not disappear in the biggest games,rather,it rises to the top.
Coaching and management logistics also plays a large role in achieving the prize.
Not to sound like a conspiaracy theorist,but the NHL referee's also play a significant role,as does the disciplinary committee.

#46 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,256 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

http://forum.canucks.../page__hl__odds

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.