The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lockout Protest Day

I love hockey far to much to, I remember the first game after the last lock-out. Toronto and Ottawa and it went to a shoot-out. It was beautiful. I do hope there are more Laker and Miami Heat games on T.V. and NFL games to fill the void. I can't stand watching MLB or the Raptors.

I've boycotted the NHL since the end of the 2011 SCF. Well, did my best anyways, couldn't help but watch LA win the cup mainly due to their team being full of talented players that I enjoy watching and cheering for.

One of my first memories of hockey was watching Bobby Orr with my father. I will more than likely be done with the NHL with this current lock-out. I suspect a lot more people will this time as well. I can live without the NHL - hockey no. Both sides seem to think that the average fan is a sheep. It's principle now and i think a lot of hockey lovers feel this way as well.

For a lot of Canadians hockey is embedded in our soul and its what brings families and friends together (it does with mine) so this constant money battle is degrading to the importance of hockey in my life as it is with many other people. It's not about anger or revenge its about saying the NHL and players no longer deserve to exist in my hockey world.

I was thinking about this over the weekend and this came up with this method that would be tricky but if there were enough committed and angry hockey fans it could work.

1. Make a fans union against the NHL website for fans of all 30 teams to gather up and plan out the date where fans won't show up. It doesn't do much of its only one arena to boycott the league, the message must be sent on a league wide scale.

2. The protest must be on a date where all 30 teams are playing (hockey day in Canada or whatever) and 15 arenas are supposed to be filled in. That way the message will be loud and clear to the owners that we won't be fooled again. How would fans protest? Buying tickets from season ticket holders (the money is already going to the owners and League anyhow) that will be the hardest thing to do out of all this is to get fans to buy into wasting anywhere from $20-180 per ticket to not show up to the games. The fans that do show up should make signs of greed and cutouts of owners. Or bring props in like monopoly money and puppets to insult the greedy owners on the jumbotron. It is then and only then that the message will be sent to the league that we are not fooling around, and it will freak out the owners if nobody showed up for that day.

I'm not saying that it would work but it's an idea that has potential to make the fans heard. And it would stir up the media.

A boycott is easier than most fans think. It's just a matter of discipline.

1. Don't buy NHL merchandise. Buy Whitecaps or Lions merchandise instead. Or even Team Canada Merchandise.

2. Try to avoid companies that are sponsers of the NHL. (Even reducing it sends a message)

3. Get into AHL or WHL hockey.

4. Don't go to games when it does come back.

I'm starting by not buying NHL 13. That might be hard, but really I'm not interested in the new crop of players, or seeing Eddie Lack on the team.

I do wish it was easier to write in to the NHL and get a petition or something going to let the NHL it's fans are serious.

I won't boycott, but I guarantee I will care a lot less. Especially after the roller coaster ride this team has been on over the last few years or so. It's not worth the money or the anxiety, getting all worked up over greedy millionaires. Much more important things in life, like my two month old son!

I would like to see each fanbase boycott "one" home game once they are back. obviously the people will be too excited the first games back but I would say a little later on into the season against a lesser interesting team.

At least that way we can say that the fans have spoken and it could garner some media acclaim. We know we are all too weak and unimportant to accomplish much more but one game each would send a message.

If there is a lockout, I am 100% not watching NHL anymore, I will follow the Giants and any other form of hockey I can watch but I refuse to watch the NHL one of the only sports where a lockout is threatened every time CBA negotiations come up.

Its kind of insulting that these guys cant figure out a way to split 3.3 billion dollars. I'd seriously love it if enough fans got together in each market and decided to not go to 1 game so each team plays in an empty building, may not hit them super hard in the pocket book but that would be 30 home games with absolutely no revenue coming in (especially nice since the big market teams would make quite an impact).I know that won't happen but I honestly think that would send a strong message to the players and owners.

I've asked this a couple of times and it hasn't been answered and that is after the last lockout did the ticket prices also receive a 24% rollback? If the players buckled again would ticket prices again receive a 24% rollback? If not, then why not? Expenses have gone down by 24% so its not like they would need ridiculous ticket prices just to break even anymore.

Archived