Posted Image

#33 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

If we truly want a better league, the only way to get rid of the current administration is to stop feeding the machine, they only listen to their wallets, you don't have to give up HOCKEY, just stop letting the NHL crap on you and bleed you dry with their overpriced product. Maybe stop being so spoiled and relearn your love of the GAME itself, maybe just go to a nearby arena and watch the kids play, it might bring back some good memories for some. For the price of 1 Canucks ticket you can likely see a half dozen or more Giants games or UBC Thunderbirds. Don't buy the centre Ice package, or PPV games, stop buying every overpriced bauble and trinket with an NHL logo on it.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#34 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

It's too hard to give up, it's a great idea but I just can't go without NHL news, discussion and other stuff for that long.

Haha, this... I love the idea, but I wouldn't be able to do it

#35 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,916 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

Even if u get 1000 cdc'rs to agree to it maybe only 100 of them will stick to it and not sit dOwn to watch the first came of the season and were going to look dumber than the put Rory Fitzpatrick in the all star game movement.

Have fun with your boycott but I'll be watching the next televised NHL game

#36 RonMexico

RonMexico

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

If we truly want a better league, the only way to get rid of the current administration is to stop feeding the machine, they only listen to their wallets, you don't have to give up HOCKEY, just stop letting the NHL crap on you and bleed you dry with their overpriced product. Maybe stop being so spoiled and relearn your love of the GAME itself, maybe just go to a nearby arena and watch the kids play, it might bring back some good memories for some. For the price of 1 Canucks ticket you can likely see a half dozen or more Giants games or UBC Thunderbirds. Don't buy the centre Ice package, or PPV games, stop buying every overpriced bauble and trinket with an NHL logo on it.

Totally agree. I go to as many Giants games as I can. I enjoy them much more than a Canucks game. The crowd is full of average fans and you can actually buy tickets at the gate witout breaking the bank. PLUS, no one boos the home team's players!

#37 Brocklovich

Brocklovich

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

If there is a lockout, I am 100% not watching NHL anymore, I will follow the Giants and any other form of hockey I can watch but I refuse to watch the NHL one of the only sports where a lockout is threatened every time CBA negotiations come up.

Its kind of insulting that these guys cant figure out a way to split 3.3 billion dollars. I'd seriously love it if enough fans got together in each market and decided to not go to 1 game so each team plays in an empty building, may not hit them super hard in the pocket book but that would be 30 home games with absolutely no revenue coming in (especially nice since the big market teams would make quite an impact).I know that won't happen but I honestly think that would send a strong message to the players and owners.

I've asked this a couple of times and it hasn't been answered and that is after the last lockout did the ticket prices also receive a 24% rollback? If the players buckled again would ticket prices again receive a 24% rollback? If not, then why not? Expenses have gone down by 24% so its not like they would need ridiculous ticket prices just to break even anymore.

#38 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

If there is a lockout, I am 100% not watching NHL anymore, I will follow the Giants and any other form of hockey I can watch but I refuse to watch the NHL one of the only sports where a lockout is threatened every time CBA negotiations come up.

Its kind of insulting that these guys cant figure out a way to split 3.3 billion dollars. I'd seriously love it if enough fans got together in each market and decided to not go to 1 game so each team plays in an empty building, may not hit them super hard in the pocket book but that would be 30 home games with absolutely no revenue coming in (especially nice since the big market teams would make quite an impact).I know that won't happen but I honestly think that would send a strong message to the players and owners.

I've asked this a couple of times and it hasn't been answered and that is after the last lockout did the ticket prices also receive a 24% rollback? If the players buckled again would ticket prices again receive a 24% rollback? If not, then why not? Expenses have gone down by 24% so its not like they would need ridiculous ticket prices just to break even anymore.

Do Bettman and Daly get a 24% rollback as well?
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#39 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

FULLY on board with the op.

I'm sick of being taken for granted, and the NFL kicks ASS!

#40 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

OP should start a thread proposing a boycott on NHL merchandise if the NHL locks out the players. This is the only leverage fans have.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2014/15 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth. Go get it and bring it here!

Cupquester "Who are those horrible little men?"

#41 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

I love hockey far to much to, I remember the first game after the last lock-out. Toronto and Ottawa and it went to a shoot-out. It was beautiful. I do hope there are more Laker and Miami Heat games on T.V. and NFL games to fill the void. I can't stand watching MLB or the Raptors.

#42 7thMan

7thMan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

http://canucksarmy.c...ad-just-go-away

There's no point in making any kind of conscious decision to boycott; that would just reinforce the NHL's confidence that the fans will come back.

#43 c00kies

c00kies

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

I hardly ever visit NHL.com, TSN is the way to go!

NHL.com kills my computer with its initial site start up and laggy videos.

TSN is much better, especially with Canadian teams.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#44 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,855 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

I've boycotted the NHL since the end of the 2011 SCF. Well, did my best anyways, couldn't help but watch LA win the cup mainly due to their team being full of talented players that I enjoy watching and cheering for.

Posted Image

#45 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,577 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

I just got my Jets back. I am not about to boycott them.

#46 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

One of my first memories of hockey was watching Bobby Orr with my father. I will more than likely be done with the NHL with this current lock-out. I suspect a lot more people will this time as well. I can live without the NHL - hockey no. Both sides seem to think that the average fan is a sheep. It's principle now and i think a lot of hockey lovers feel this way as well.

For a lot of Canadians hockey is embedded in our soul and its what brings families and friends together (it does with mine) so this constant money battle is degrading to the importance of hockey in my life as it is with many other people. It's not about anger or revenge its about saying the NHL and players no longer deserve to exist in my hockey world.

#47 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

I was thinking about this over the weekend and this came up with this method that would be tricky but if there were enough committed and angry hockey fans it could work.

1. Make a fans union against the NHL website for fans of all 30 teams to gather up and plan out the date where fans won't show up. It doesn't do much of its only one arena to boycott the league, the message must be sent on a league wide scale.

2. The protest must be on a date where all 30 teams are playing (hockey day in Canada or whatever) and 15 arenas are supposed to be filled in. That way the message will be loud and clear to the owners that we won't be fooled again. How would fans protest? Buying tickets from season ticket holders (the money is already going to the owners and League anyhow) that will be the hardest thing to do out of all this is to get fans to buy into wasting anywhere from $20-180 per ticket to not show up to the games. The fans that do show up should make signs of greed and cutouts of owners. Or bring props in like monopoly money and puppets to insult the greedy owners on the jumbotron. It is then and only then that the message will be sent to the league that we are not fooling around, and it will freak out the owners if nobody showed up for that day.

I'm not saying that it would work but it's an idea that has potential to make the fans heard. And it would stir up the media.

Edited by Wh!stler R!der, 06 September 2012 - 07:29 AM.

This city deserves a championship. This is the best era in Canucks history, keep bleeding blue n green always!
Win it for Ripper, Luc and Demo.

#48 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

A boycott is easier than most fans think. It's just a matter of discipline.

1. Don't buy NHL merchandise. Buy Whitecaps or Lions merchandise instead. Or even Team Canada Merchandise.
2. Try to avoid companies that are sponsers of the NHL. (Even reducing it sends a message)
3. Get into AHL or WHL hockey.
4. Don't go to games when it does come back.

I'm starting by not buying NHL 13. That might be hard, but really I'm not interested in the new crop of players, or seeing Eddie Lack on the team.
I do wish it was easier to write in to the NHL and get a petition or something going to let the NHL it's fans are serious.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#49 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

http://canucksarmy.c...ad-just-go-away

There's no point in making any kind of conscious decision to boycott; that would just reinforce the NHL's confidence that the fans will come back.

Every revolution starts with one person saying I've had enough of this crap, and does something about it. Giving up and saying we can't boycott is what reinforces the NHL's belief the fans will come back.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#50 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

I won't boycott, but I guarantee I will care a lot less. Especially after the roller coaster ride this team has been on over the last few years or so. It's not worth the money or the anxiety, getting all worked up over greedy millionaires. Much more important things in life, like my two month old son!

FearandLoathingSig.jpg

#51 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

Every revolution starts with one person saying I've had enough of this crap, and does something about it. Giving up and saying we can't boycott is what reinforces the NHL's belief the fans will come back.

I agree, you need to show your displeasure or else the world will forever walk on you if you just fold and say that's just the way it is. No! We can make a change only if we want to make a change.
This city deserves a championship. This is the best era in Canucks history, keep bleeding blue n green always!

#52 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

It's too hard to give up, it's a great idea but I just can't go without NHL news, discussion and other stuff for that long.

This is the honest answer for 99% of the fans and that is what it is, period. The owners know it, the NHLPA know it. What are you going to do, start folowing curling or european soccer? Won't happen. Nothing wrong with being mad but that doesn't change one's interest in the game.

#53 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,577 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

For every fan who is willing to not go to a game over this, there will be hundreds who are willing to scoop up their tickets. Simple as that.

#54 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

For every fan who is willing to not go to a game over this, there will be hundreds who are willing to scoop up their tickets. Simple as that.

that's why fans that are pissed off need to buy tickets off of season ticket holders because the money is already going to the owners and then you don't show up. Fans of all 30 teams need to do this one the date where 15 arenas will play hockey so the message is sent correctly. Now will fans be committed to paying for tickets and not show up? Not likely but if fans are truly upset they would do this.

#55 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

How do you think the Nordiques got into the NHL in the first place? Montreal voted no, then the fans revolted and boycotted Molson (owner of the Canadians) products, if Canadians can give up Molsons beer then they can give up NHL hockey, facing a customer boycott and shareholder revolt the Canadians begged for another vote and changed to yes to allow Quebec in. The fans have all the power as all the money comes from us, we just need the owners and Bettman to realize that, looks like PK Subban is starting to think about that.

Edited by Norman Clegg, 06 September 2012 - 09:28 AM.

Blaise Pascal

#56 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

I agree, you need to show your displeasure or else the world will forever walk on you if you just fold and say that's just the way it is. No! We can make a change only if we want to make a change.

Blaise Pascal

#57 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,788 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

I would like to see each fanbase boycott "one" home game once they are back. obviously the people will be too excited the first games back but I would say a little later on into the season against a lesser interesting team.

At least that way we can say that the fans have spoken and it could garner some media acclaim. We know we are all too weak and unimportant to accomplish much more but one game each would send a message.

My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately you would need to be a great organizer and have an equally good organizer in every city in order to get this going. I'd love to see the response from the NHL and the PLAYERS after playing in an empty arena.

Priceless Gary, just priceless. Ha ha, see we don't care about money like you jerks.
<_<

Edited by Dogbyte, 06 September 2012 - 01:27 PM.

There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#58 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

How does Bettman still have a job in the NHL. This could be 3 times under his watch that there would be a lockout, and i don't want a repeat of 04-05. I barley made it out alive.

This...

The National Hockey League has opted to stick with NBC and Versus as its U.S. broadcasters in a 10-year deal reportedly worth about US$2 billion.
Neither commissioner Gary Bettman nor NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol gave financial terms of the contract, but various reports said it would bring in about $200 million per season.
Bettman called it "the most significant U.S. media rights partnership in the league's history."

Boycott won't work in Vancouver, but places like Columbus and Phoenix will see a drop off in fan interest, where they are already struggling.
Posted Image

#59 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

This is the honest answer for 99% of the fans and that is what it is, period. The owners know it, the NHLPA know it. What are you going to do, start folowing curling or european soccer? Won't happen. Nothing wrong with being mad but that doesn't change one's interest in the game.

This is what I don't get. Who said you have to give up hockey? Just tell the greedy S.O.B's who run the NHL to go F-themselves, there is plenty of hockey out there, CHL, AHL, NCAA, CIAU. Have we become so spoiled we have lost our love for the game? Have we simply been brainwashed to believe anything other than the NHL is unacceptable? Some nights when I am bored I walk to a rink 2 blocks from my house to watch the kids play, its kinda nice to see hockey when the players aren't trying to kill each other or worrying about endorsements, contract extensions or no-trade clauses. The NHL needs me a hell of a lot more than I need them.

Edited by Norman Clegg, 06 September 2012 - 02:34 PM.

Blaise Pascal

#60 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

i'm gonna boycott by playing nhl13

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.