Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Weise or Volpatti?

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

Poll: Weise or Volpatti? (142 member(s) have cast votes)

Weise or Volpatti?

1. Dale Weise (66 votes [46.81%])

Percentage of vote: 46.81%

2. Aaron Volpatti (75 votes [53.19%])

Percentage of vote: 53.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

pretty simple question, Dale Weise or Aaron Volpatti?

IMO, i like Volpatti better as a fighter, but i think Weise has a bit more potential. i could see him becoming more of a checking player than just a fighter, hes got some decent speed. right now im having trouble finding a comparison, best i can do off the top of my head is a lesser version of Brandon Prust. I would love having them both in the lineup at the same time, a Weise-Lapierre-Volpatti line would be deadly, but it probably wont happen with Malhotra, Kassian and Ebbett taking up space.
CDC Sim Connected: Nashville GM
LOB (PS3): Boston GM

#2 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

hmmm tough question... I think Weise is a better player with more potential but Volpatti is a better fighter plus he is a BC boy.

I gotta go with Weise if given the choice.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,962 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Overall, Weise is better.

307mg00.jpg

#4 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,217 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Tough choice. I think if we don't get Doan and Raymond is traded, Kassian could get that last top six spot. And if Manny can regain his pre-injury form then our bottom six would look like this:

Higgins - Malhotra - Hansen
Weise - Lapierre - Volpatti

But if I had to choose I'd take Volpatti.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#5 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

Volpatti is a better figher and is more aggresive, but Weise has a marginally better offensive skill.
For the role that both of these players play, I would rather have Volpatti.
Posted Image

#6 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

Volpatti and Weise. But really Volpatti
Posted Image

#7 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,131 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

Didn't Volpatti - Malholtra (Or was it Lappy?) - Weise look pretty good at the start of last season before Volpatti got hurt?

Posted Image

#8 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

Volpatti. Weise is a plug. Would much rather have had Duco playing for us than Weise. Disappointed he wasn't resigned, or played over Weise for that matter. Stupid cap management has caused our bottom lines and prospects some real disservice.

Edited by Psycho_Path, 09 September 2012 - 03:49 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

POPULAR

Volpatti. Weise is a plug. Would much rather have had Duco playing for us than Weise. Disappointed he wasn't resigned.

Which explains why Volpatti is 3 years older and with less success at the AHL and NHL level than Weise, right.
Posted Image

#10 captain_kirk1

captain_kirk1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Volpatti by far in my books. This is a guy who competes every night and brings his game. He may not be as skilled, but man he brings a lot more effort and guts to the ice than Weise.

#11 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Weise can chip in more offensively and plays a pretty gritty style.

Volpatti is a good fighter and plays grittier than Weise.

The overall better would have to be Weise because he can just do more. Weise WILL fight, he CAN score, and plays gritty.

* The things I listed about Weise doesn't mean he's necessarily good at them.

I would keep both though because together they can cause some real damage on the 4th line.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

Weise.

The guy can actually play hockey. Volpatti banked a short professional career after one 'good' season of college hockey.
Posted Image

#13 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Volpatti by far in my books. This is a guy who competes every night and brings his game. He may not be as skilled, but man he brings a lot more effort and guts to the ice than Weise.

Weise by far, a lot more skill and still brings the checking game and will fight if needed. It just goes to show you the lack of hockey IQ on this board picking Volpatti over Weise. Weise has the skill to be able to fill in on the 3rd line without hurting that line, Volpatti would be lost on the 3rd line.

#14 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Weise's face upsets me for some reason, but I would still pick him over Volpatti because he's younger and has more potential for sure.
Posted Image

#15 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'd rather have Volpatti, but if he is slumping we could easily replace him with Wiese.

#16 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

Weise by far, a lot more skill and still brings the checking game and will fight if needed. It just goes to show you the lack of hockey IQ on this board picking Volpatti over Weise. Weise has the skill to be able to fill in on the 3rd line without hurting that line, Volpatti would be lost on the 3rd line.

According to AV, he has the skill to play on the 1st line haha :lol:
Posted Image

#17 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,131 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

Volpatti. Weise is a plug. Would much rather have had Duco playing for us than Weise. Disappointed he wasn't resigned, or played over Weise for that matter. Stupid cap management has caused our bottom lines and prospects some real disservice.

Weise was in his rookie season last year, as a player in his early twenties. He showed glimpses of offensive talent, hit, and fought when he needed to even if he isn't great at it.

Weise has potential, and in my opinion Volpatti has capped. He's nothing more than a spark plug that you insert in the line-up for energy. Weise has the potential to contribute.

Posted Image

#18 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Put "Neither" as an option, it'd get my vote.

Probably many others', too.

#19 Red-Haired_Shanks

Red-Haired_Shanks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

our 4th line requires grit and for them to punish players either in fights or big hits. Volpatti is a better fighter and bigger hitter than weise but weise is the more skilled player. but for a 4th line roll we dont need skill. id choose volpatti

my dream would be to have our prospects fill in our 4th line wing spots so they can develop toughness. something like
Jensen-Lapierre-Kassian.
NHL! WHY YOU LOCKOUT!

#20 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

Weise is definitely better as an all-around hockey player. The thing is, he doesn't bring it quite as often. Volpatti is the quintessential 4th-line fan favourite sparkplug (if a little small): he understands what his role on the team is, and he plays his guts out.

Weise has the potential to be a little more, but he's still young and inconsistent, and may not reach that potential. I'd pick Volpatti, just because he fits the 4th line role better now.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 09 September 2012 - 04:19 PM.

Posted Image

#21 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

Count my first vote on this subject as Byron Bitz. But if restricted to the choices Patti.

Commenting on one of your points. I agree there was some mis-management last year. Kassian (who will be better) should have played himself into shape on Chicago. He took a spot that deservedly belonged to Bitz. And we could have brought up AHL all star Connauton instead of playing Gragnani down the stretch. I understand they were trying to determine if Grag's was worth keeping, but it took an NHL paycheque from a guy (IMO) who deserved it more.

#22 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Weise has 8 points in 78 career games, which is hardly any better than Volpattis 3 in 38. Neither of them are close to being a 3rd line calibre player, both would bring down our 3rd line vastly.
Volpatti fits the 4th line player mold more than Weise does, he is more aggresive, a more willing fighter, a better fighter, and more tenacious.
Weises marginally better offensive talent and marginally better hockey sense do not make up for the edge Volpatti has in physicality.
In all honesty neither are particularly good 4th liners, but based on his aggresive style and fighting ability alone I would say Volpatti is better.
Posted Image

#23 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,131 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Weise has 8 points in 78 career games, which is hardly any better than Volpattis 3 in 38. Neither of them are close to being a 3rd line calibre player, both would bring down our 3rd line vastly.
Volpatti fits the 4th line player mold more than Weise does, he is more aggresive, a more willing fighter, a better fighter, and more tenacious.
Weises marginally better offensive talent and marginally better hockey sense do not make up for the edge Volpatti has in physicality.
In all honesty neither are particularly good 4th liners, but based on his aggresive style and fighting ability alone I would say Volpatti is better.

Weise was also in his rookie season with plenty of room to improve and develop. Volpatti is a fringe NHLer with energy, that's about it.

Posted Image

#24 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

our 4th line requires grit and for them to punish players either in fights or big hits. Volpatti is a better fighter and bigger hitter than weise but weise is the more skilled player. but for a 4th line roll we dont need skill. id choose volpatti

my dream would be to have our prospects fill in our 4th line wing spots so they can develop toughness. something like
Jensen-Lapierre-Kassian.

Has to be the stupidest statement I have read today.

#25 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

Put "Neither" as an option, it'd get my vote.

Probably many others', too.

yep.
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#26 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,131 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

How many of you still would prefer "Glass man" Byron Bitz? Even though I like Weise, I'm hoping Pinizzotto can have a good showing in pre-season again. Without getting hurt this time.

Posted Image

#27 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

Weise was also in his rookie season with plenty of room to improve and develop. Volpatti is a fringe NHLer with energy, that's about it.

Pretty much.
In 2 years or so Weise might be a good 4th liner, he has the potential. But as of right now I would rather see Volpatti in the line-up over him.
Posted Image

#28 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

Honestly, I don't remember much of how good Volpatti was other than his fights so I can't choose. I say let them battle it out in training camp who gets the spot.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#29 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,131 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

Pretty much.
In 2 years or so Weise might be a good 4th liner, he has the potential. But as of right now I would rather see Volpatti in the line-up over him.

Looking at it though, having Weise isn't a waste of a contract (like some poster above said). He's going to be valuable in the future, more so than Volpatti, Pinizzotto, or Bitz could (could've in Bitz's case) be.

Posted Image

#30 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

From a developmental point of view it makes no sense to repalce Weise with Volpatti. You either play them both or you remove Volpatti and put him back in the AHL where he's a fourth liner at best. Weise has already proven himself at the AHL level and putting him back there really accomplishes nothing other than taking a dump all over the work a guy has already put in proving himself.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.