The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Weise or Volpatti?

mrsasaki

Weise or Volpatti?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

pretty simple question, Dale Weise or Aaron Volpatti?

IMO, i like Volpatti better as a fighter, but i think Weise has a bit more potential. i could see him becoming more of a checking player than just a fighter, hes got some decent speed. right now im having trouble finding a comparison, best i can do off the top of my head is a lesser version of Brandon Prust. I would love having them both in the lineup at the same time, a Weise-Lapierre-Volpatti line would be deadly, but it probably wont happen with Malhotra, Kassian and Ebbett taking up space.

Tough choice. I think if we don't get Doan and Raymond is traded, Kassian could get that last top six spot. And if Manny can regain his pre-injury form then our bottom six would look like this:

Higgins - Malhotra - Hansen

Weise - Lapierre - Volpatti

But if I had to choose I'd take Volpatti.

Weise can chip in more offensively and plays a pretty gritty style.

Volpatti is a good fighter and plays grittier than Weise.

The overall better would have to be Weise because he can just do more. Weise WILL fight, he CAN score, and plays gritty.

* The things I listed about Weise doesn't mean he's necessarily good at them.

I would keep both though because together they can cause some real damage on the 4th line.

Weise by far, a lot more skill and still brings the checking game and will fight if needed. It just goes to show you the lack of hockey IQ on this board picking Volpatti over Weise. Weise has the skill to be able to fill in on the 3rd line without hurting that line, Volpatti would be lost on the 3rd line.

our 4th line requires grit and for them to punish players either in fights or big hits. Volpatti is a better fighter and bigger hitter than weise but weise is the more skilled player. but for a 4th line roll we dont need skill. id choose volpatti

my dream would be to have our prospects fill in our 4th line wing spots so they can develop toughness. something like

Jensen-Lapierre-Kassian.

Weise is definitely better as an all-around hockey player. The thing is, he doesn't bring it quite as often. Volpatti is the quintessential 4th-line fan favourite sparkplug (if a little small): he understands what his role on the team is, and he plays his guts out.

Weise has the potential to be a little more, but he's still young and inconsistent, and may not reach that potential. I'd pick Volpatti, just because he fits the 4th line role better now.

Archived