Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Weise or Volpatti?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
115 replies to this topic

Poll: Weise or Volpatti? (142 member(s) have cast votes)

Weise or Volpatti?

1. Dale Weise (66 votes [46.81%])

Percentage of vote: 46.81%

2. Aaron Volpatti (75 votes [53.19%])

Percentage of vote: 53.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Intoewsables

Intoewsables

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,325 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Can't believe Volpatti is winning this poll..

Weise is clearly a better player in every area of the game aside from fighting while being 3 years younger.

#32 meh_wassup

meh_wassup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

Weise by far, a lot more skill and still brings the checking game and will fight if needed. It just goes to show you the lack of hockey IQ on this board picking Volpatti over Weise. Weise has the skill to be able to fill in on the 3rd line without hurting that line, Volpatti would be lost on the 3rd line.

To all those saying they'd rather have Weise. Think about it for a second. Do you want your fourth line to worry about getting scoring chances or having a good forecheck and playing a gritty, aggressive style that might intimidate the opponent? If you ask me I'd rather have the latter, a fourth line which can bang and a guy who can actually win a fight on it, which is why my pick would be Volpatti by a mile.

Charlotte-McKinney-21-155x160.jpg

#33 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

Has to be the stupidest statement I have read today.

Has to be the most stupid use of a made up word I have read today.

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

#34 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

Weise
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#35 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

From a developmental point of view it makes no sense to repalce Weise with Volpatti. You either play them both or you remove Volpatti and put him back in the AHL where he's a fourth liner at best. Weise has already proven himself at the AHL level and putting him back there really accomplishes nothing other than taking a dump all over the work a guy has already put in proving himself.

From a team makeup point of view it sure does. AV may like his energy/hard working players a little more than he should, but nevertheless Volpatti as already stated is much grittier than Weise. Other than his few goals which were pretty decent last season he really didn't play the physical game near the way he needs to and how Volpatti already shows he can. If he hadn't been injured I believe Volpatti would have been playing on the 4th line over Weise, though knowing AV and the fact that MG praised him as well (considering he picked him up off waivers) Weise probably would have been played anyways.
Posted Image

#36 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

Has to be the most stupid use of a made up word I have read today.

???

#37 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Both

Weise-Manny/Lapps-Volpatti

But if I had to choose, I definitely go with Weise, I think he has way more potential and played pretty damn good for the most part last year.

#38 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

To all those saying they'd rather have Weise. Think about it for a second. Do you want your fourth line to worry about getting scoring chances or having a good forecheck and playing a gritty, aggressive style that might intimidate the opponent? If you ask me I'd rather have the latter, a fourth line which can bang and a guy who can actually win a fight on it, which is why my pick would be Volpatti by a mile.

Ideally you want one that can do the latter while still being able to do some of the former (which is why I wanted to see Duco played instead of Weise) though if you can't have much of either, definitely the latter (which is why I'd much rather see Volpatti played over Weise)
Posted Image

#39 jeremy_cheung14

jeremy_cheung14

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Volpatti tougher, better fighter...Weise more offence, skilled.........imo REMEBER after VOLPATTI went down WEISE was our only tough,rough, fighter guy and HE FOUGHT VS BRUINS... my vote goes to weise, but playoffs volpatti might be more effective

#40 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

i think weise has the potencial to be a decent 3rd liner.
also he got a little raise and if he thinks he will get more next time he will need to prove his worth.
I think him and Lappy play well together.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#41 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

???

I really hope I don't have to explain that to you :picard:

Edit: If you still don't get it... http://wiki.answers....tupidest_a_word

Edited by StevenStamkos, 09 September 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#42 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

I really hope I don't have to explain that to you :picard:

Edit: If you still don't get it... http://wiki.answers....tupidest_a_word

but you do, because stupidest is in the dictionary:
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

n.
A stupid or foolish person.

Edited by Vancanwincup, 09 September 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#43 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Weise.

More potential
Faster
More offensive

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#44 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

but you do, because stupidest is in the dictionary:
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

n.
A stupid or foolish person.

Lol... the word Muggle is in the dictionary. Does that still make it a word? LOL is in some online dictionaries...

Here how about this...
Go to a university English class and write an essay (using the word stupidest at least once), hand it in, and see what the Professor has to say.

#45 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Weise by far, a lot more skill and still brings the checking game and will fight if needed. It just goes to show you the lack of hockey IQ on this board picking Volpatti over Weise. Weise has the skill to be able to fill in on the 3rd line without hurting that line, Volpatti would be lost on the 3rd line.

Lol dude, you accuse others of having a low hockey IQ and you think Weise could fill in on our 3rd line? Laughable. Weise and Volpatti (on pace for him since he was injured) have similar numbers, with the exception that Volpatti actually knows how to fight. Dale Weise just gets beaten up whenever he fights most of the time.

I'd much rather have Volpatti in the lineup since he can add some genuine toughness to our bottom 6.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 09 September 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#46 smackyo23

smackyo23

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

Weise is the better player and he's a tough dude no doubt, he's not really the muscle we need though. He can hold his own and stick up for some of the guy's against some in the NHL and he's also far out classed fight wise against most of the NHL's tough guy's. His fight with Horton last year was pretty awesome though.

I'd reluctantly have to go with Weise for now.
Posted Image

#47 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

Lol... the word Muggle is in the dictionary. Does that still make it a word? LOL is in some online dictionaries...

Here how about this...
Go to a university English class and write an essay (using the word stupidest at least once), hand it in, and see what the Professor has to say.

It's a word. Just because it would be unwise to use such words in a formal essay at the university level or something like that, doesn't mean it isn't a word. It's in the oxford dictionary for crying out loud. Last I checked this wasn't a university English class anyway, but a public forum to discuss sports.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 09 September 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#48 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

Weise is the better player. He is smarter, better defensively and can chip in offense. He's a decent 4th liner. Weise was a top-six player in the AHL and still has potential for more and is younger than Volpatti.

What Volpatti has going for him is toughness. He's bigger and can fight, whereas Weise (however willing) usually just gets beat to a pulp. But at least Weise still tries. Volpatti hits and punches harder and that's it. He's pretty much topped out and is no more than an extra energy/tough guy.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#49 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Can't believe Volpatti is winning this poll..

Weise is clearly a better player in every area of the game aside from fighting while being 3 years younger.

This. People are blinded by Volpatti's one-punch on Brad Winchester and his perceived toughness. Weise does everything else better.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#50 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

It's a word. Just because it would be unwise to use such words in a formal essay at the university level or something like that, doesn't mean it isn't a word. It's in the oxford dictionary for crying out loud. Last I checked this wasn't a university English class anyway, but a public forum to discuss sports.

I don't think you get the point of this. It's not that I have to correct his usage of the word; it's the fact that he called out and attacked another poster's idea as the "stupidest thing he has read". I mean, that's perfectly fine for me, but if you are going to attack a person for being "stupid", at least try to make your sentence sound intelligent.

#51 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

They play different positions.. Why are we choosing? We should be deciding between volpatti and pinizzotto

Posted Image

#52 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

You guys really think they guys stand above Pinnizotto and Bitz ? (havent seen enough of them myself to judge just yet)
I think it will be an interesting camp to see who is chosen?
Might just come down to $ and 2 way contracts?

#53 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

Weise is a fair bit better offensively and he's blazing fast, but Vopatti is the better fighter.

Weise is taller by two inches, but Vopatti is still five pounds heavier.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#54 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

Volpatti does his great for his role. He hits and fights better than anyone on the Canucks. Based on last season I'd rather have Volpatti in the line-up but Weise has the potential to be the better player.

Posted Image

#55 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

I don't think you get the point of this. It's not that I have to correct his usage of the word; it's the fact that he called out and attacked another poster's idea as the "stupidest thing he has read". I mean, that's perfectly fine for me, but if you are going to attack a person for being "stupid", at least try to make your sentence sound intelligent.

I didn't call the writer stupid I called his statement stupid! There is a big difference!
There is nothing wrong with the sentence, but I guess being anal retentive as you seem to be there always something to point out as being incorrect.
Have a phat day you savvy boy. Don't let such things get you aerated or Alan Whickers in a knot.

Edited by Vancanwincup, 09 September 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#56 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

Weise. He is much more rounded of a hockey player. Volpatti can fight that's about it and is worse than Weise in the defensive zone (can't breakout). Weise is also younger. I dont think Volpatti is going to get better than what we already seen and he is coming back from injury. Weise players top 6 in AHL and Volpatti is a 4th liner on the A even at his age.

Edited by jigsaw99, 09 September 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#57 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

Definitely Weise. Much more skilled and has better potential.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#58 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

Volpatti for sure. Weise plays a well-rounded game but he's average at everything he does and there isn't one part of his game that sticks out to me. Volpatti has much more impact with his hits and he's a better fighter. Everyones saying Weise has more skill, yet he still sucks offensively and we already have guys in our bottom 6 who can play his role much better. Plus, I've never seen Volpatti lose position or get caught defensively. Think about our toughness up front for a second, and Kassian is the only name that comes to mind when it comes to guys who can scrap.

Here's some of his hits.

#59 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

I wonder how Volpatti will play this year after being injured? some guys are never the same after screwing up a shoulder, same goes with Pinner.

#60 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

I didn't call the writer stupid I called his statement stupid! There is a big difference!
There is nothing wrong with the sentence, but I guess being anal retentive as you seem to be there always something to point out as being incorrect.
Have a phat day you savvy boy. Don't let such things get you aerated or Alan Whickers in a knot.

Reading comprehension - I clearly said in my post that you said his idea was stupid. Nowhere did I say that you directly called him stupid.

Edit: Although, one may infer that is what you think of him from your attitude in your original post.

Edited by StevenStamkos, 09 September 2012 - 07:42 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.