The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Weise or Volpatti?

mrsasaki

Weise or Volpatti?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Count my first vote on this subject as Byron Bitz. But if restricted to the choices Patti.

Commenting on one of your points. I agree there was some mis-management last year. Kassian (who will be better) should have played himself into shape on Chicago. He took a spot that deservedly belonged to Bitz. And we could have brought up AHL all star Connauton instead of playing Gragnani down the stretch. I understand they were trying to determine if Grag's was worth keeping, but it took an NHL paycheque from a guy (IMO) who deserved it more.

Volpatti. Weise is a plug. Would much rather have had Duco playing for us than Weise. Disappointed he wasn't resigned, or played over Weise for that matter. Stupid cap management has caused our bottom lines and prospects some real disservice.

Weise by far, a lot more skill and still brings the checking game and will fight if needed. It just goes to show you the lack of hockey IQ on this board picking Volpatti over Weise. Weise has the skill to be able to fill in on the 3rd line without hurting that line, Volpatti would be lost on the 3rd line.

Weise has 8 points in 78 career games, which is hardly any better than Volpattis 3 in 38. Neither of them are close to being a 3rd line calibre player, both would bring down our 3rd line vastly.

Volpatti fits the 4th line player mold more than Weise does, he is more aggresive, a more willing fighter, a better fighter, and more tenacious.

Weises marginally better offensive talent and marginally better hockey sense do not make up for the edge Volpatti has in physicality.

In all honesty neither are particularly good 4th liners, but based on his aggresive style and fighting ability alone I would say Volpatti is better.

our 4th line requires grit and for them to punish players either in fights or big hits. Volpatti is a better fighter and bigger hitter than weise but weise is the more skilled player. but for a 4th line roll we dont need skill. id choose volpatti

my dream would be to have our prospects fill in our 4th line wing spots so they can develop toughness. something like

Jensen-Lapierre-Kassian.

From a developmental point of view it makes no sense to repalce Weise with Volpatti. You either play them both or you remove Volpatti and put him back in the AHL where he's a fourth liner at best. Weise has already proven himself at the AHL level and putting him back there really accomplishes nothing other than taking a dump all over the work a guy has already put in proving himself.

Weise by far, a lot more skill and still brings the checking game and will fight if needed. It just goes to show you the lack of hockey IQ on this board picking Volpatti over Weise. Weise has the skill to be able to fill in on the 3rd line without hurting that line, Volpatti would be lost on the 3rd line.

From a developmental point of view it makes no sense to repalce Weise with Volpatti. You either play them both or you remove Volpatti and put him back in the AHL where he's a fourth liner at best. Weise has already proven himself at the AHL level and putting him back there really accomplishes nothing other than taking a dump all over the work a guy has already put in proving himself.

To all those saying they'd rather have Weise. Think about it for a second. Do you want your fourth line to worry about getting scoring chances or having a good forecheck and playing a gritty, aggressive style that might intimidate the opponent? If you ask me I'd rather have the latter, a fourth line which can bang and a guy who can actually win a fight on it, which is why my pick would be Volpatti by a mile.

Archived