The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Weise or Volpatti?

mrsasaki

Weise or Volpatti?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Easy Volpatti anyday.

Weise is a punching bag and less agressive Volpatti is more aggressive and has the ability to make his opponent pay.

I would like to see more of Volpatti he will get much tougher as he matures and will be respected.

Pinizzotto maybe better then the both of them but haven't seen enough of him yet.

Maybe a better job of writing is needed by you "but if you are going to attack a person for being "stupid", at least try to make your sentence sound intelligent". You did type "idea" but ended with the notion of singling out the individual. So comprenehsion is not the problem when the writing has two subjects.

Well, if there is only one spot and we are playing against a tough, physical and bigger team (Boston, LA, St. Louis etc.) we should put in Volpatti so that he could fight if needed and to provide a more physical presence overall.

However, if we are playing against a skill team (Detroit, Pittsburg etc.) then I think putting in Weise would be better. He seems to have decent speed (faster than Volpatti?) and a higher skill level than Volpatti. And although Weise isn't the best fighter, he could stick up for teammates if needed.

But then again, we would be pretty desperate if need to play one of our fourth liners on their off wing...which I don't think is the best thing to do

*This is, of course, assuming that we are going to keep both Weise and Volpatti in our lineup.*

I wouldn't say Volpatti is more consistent physically, he was injured so early in the season. Chances are his aggressive play would tone down over time, he did look decent right before his injury. Weise just seems so much better at everything. I can see him turning into a solid 3rd line player, he was put in some pretty bad places throughout games and i don't remember any serious gaffes. He scored almost all his goals on playoff teams, a couple were pretty sweet highlights, and he has the size to hit and win battles. People exaggerate how badly he lost fights, he improved gradually as the year went on, winning is really just a luxury anyway. Most importantly he stayed healthy and played damn well when he got the slot in the playoffs.

Sorry, but your comment is very misleading. Whatever success that Weise had at the AHL level was when Volpatti was honing his game in college, so he hasn't had the same opportunity at the AHL level that Weise has had. Volpatti obviously showed something after he was signed to be able to play so few games at the AHL level and get to the NHL so quickly. Also, neither one of them have had any success at the NHL level, so they're at the same level as far as their NHL careers.

As far as the poll goes, I took Volpatti. For the roles that these two guys are meant to play on this team, Volpatti is waaaay more consistent with his physical play, which is exactly what you want from a fourth liner. I'm not really to sure why people are so concerned about Weise having marginally more skill than Volpatti. They're both fourth line type of players and if you're relying on your fourth liners to provide skill, then you're in serious trouble. As a fourth line player, especially on this team, you need a guy who's going to be consistently physical by hitting like a truck and having the other teams d-men keep their head up and worrying about the forecheck as well as having the balls to stick up for himself and his teamates, while having the necessary "skills" to play the game with the gloves off. Sorry, but I'm already sick of seeing Weise used as a speed bag. And considering his track record in the AHL and junior, his aptitude with the gloves off are never going to get any better and he was way to inconsistent with his physical play.

Also, as another poster stated, him punking out to Thornton last year, insteading of fighting him when that was his job on this team, can't be forgotten. It wouldn't have been so bad if he didn't pretend like he was going to fight him and then embarrass himself and the team by waiting for the refs to save him. I'd rather have a guy who knows his role and isn't afraid of anything or anyone and I don't see too much fear in Volpatti when he plays.

Archived