Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Weise or Volpatti?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
115 replies to this topic

Poll: Weise or Volpatti? (142 member(s) have cast votes)

Weise or Volpatti?

1. Dale Weise (66 votes [46.81%])

Percentage of vote: 46.81%

2. Aaron Volpatti (75 votes [53.19%])

Percentage of vote: 53.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

Niether.
Both can't fight at the heavyweight level or score or check enough for other roles.
Probably nice guys but 4th line plugs at best or Wolves meat.

#92 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

You get absolutely nothing for winning a fight in hockey? Who cares?

It's about sticking up for your team, the meaning of a fight is deeper than just for the sake of fighting someone for fun. It provides energy for a team. If someone takes a cheap shot to one of our guys and they get no physical response out of our team, they're going to keep on doing it.

Edited by ButterBean, 10 September 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#93 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

It's about sticking up for your team, the meaning of a fight is deeper than just for the sake of fighting someone for fun. It provides energy for a team. If someone takes a cheap shot to one of our guys and they get no physical response out of our team, they're going to keep on doing it.

Doesn't mean you have to win, a draw is enough for a borderline hit. Just pop em in the mouth and get em off the ice. Most of the players that are abusing our stars are small and lousy fighters anyway. In the case of really dirty damaging hits, like Keith on Daniel, Marchand on Salo, most of our players could beat the crap outta either of them. I see no reason for a fair fight though in those situations, two hand em in the back of the leg and then start throwin.

#94 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Weise-Manny-Raymond

#95 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

what about ebbet

#96 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Weise-Manny-Raymond

So we traded the Sedins and Burrows and decided to roll with 3 lines?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#97 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Weise is a better all around player. If you just want a fighter you'd go with Volpatti
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#98 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,592 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

I want to add this: I think Weise is the better player, hands down, but I feel like we need Volpatti's skill set more.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#99 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,592 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

So we traded the Sedins and Burrows and decided to roll with 3 lines?

I think he's assuming that the first line is a given.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#100 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

Let them fight over it
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#101 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

At least you can call Volpatti a tough guy...well, marginal, but still a small tough guy....better than Weise.

#102 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

Depends what we're looking for. If we're looking for someone to fight, it's Volpatti. If we're looking for someone who can provide a little offense and play meaningful fourth line minutes it's Weise.

Volpatti is at the age where he's either going to become a regular NHLer, or it's never gonna happen. He's shown a good fighting ability, but his offense is very limited.

Weise on the other hand is still young enough that he's got room to grow. He's shown at lower levels that he can put up numbers while providing physicality. And he has a willingness to drop the mitts, he just has to work on his technique.

I would say it's gotta be Weise if he can become a regular physical presence and improve on his fighting ability.

#103 kacvan

kacvan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

Personally I'm a bigger fan of Volpatti than weise. From what I've seen Volpatti play he works harder and is a better fighter.
Posted Image

Keep The Faith The Canucks Will Win!!

#104 Drop Em

Drop Em

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

Why would it matter when they played in the AHL? Yes, Weise was in the AHL while Volpatti was in college. The fact is they both have obviously played there and they both did for a period of time in 2010-2011. Volpatti with 11 points in 53 games; Weise with 38 points in 47 games. Aside from actually evaluating the two individually, which is near impossible unless your part of an organization with scouts at your disposal, for example, I would say Weise is a better player now, including at the NHL level, and he certainly will be in down the road.

As mentioned above, this can also be backed up by: 1) Weise, who is a few years younger is thriving in a league much tougher to play in than the one Volpatti is in. 2) When you do compare their AHL stints, Weise was clearly the better player.

We also know that Volpatti is currently banking in on one year of college success. Without that 32 points in 37 games, it's highly doubful he was ever even offered a contract by the Canucks, or any other NHL club for that matter. A dozen points by an overager at the college level certainly isn't cutting it for the NHL.

I'm not trying to be a hard ass on the guy. He is currently living his dream. Great for him. If he can continue to make the team down the road, even better. But I'm just being a realist here.

In defense of Weise, he really didn't back out against Thornton. He had no intent of fighting that occasionally useful otherwise useless tit. Weise intended to fight McQuaid, Thornton challenged him instead, Weise goaded that oaf into dropping his gloves; pretty good move on his part.

http://bigbadblog.we...ise-dale-weise/

And Weise had already fought caveman Horton prior to that.

The only reason it matters as to when they played at the AHL level is because when Weise was having a good portion of this success that you said that he had at the AHL level, Volpatti was still in college. Weise had two years of playing at the AHL level before Volpatti even turned pro. The point is, it's easier to have more success somewhere when you have more opportunity to do so. Obviously the more games you play, the more experience you gain, the more comfortable you become and the more success that you'll have. Weise has played almost 200 games in the AHL and Volpatti has played barely more than 60, so I don't think it's fair to compare because of the games differential. For example, a 17 year old Vancouver Giant is much more likey to have less success than a 19 year old Giant, because of the reasons I mentioned. But years down the road when both players have played the same amount of games, and then you want to make the comparison, the comparison will be much more accurate. I do understand what you're saying but in my opinion, you're comparing apples to oranges instead of apples to apples. You mentioned that unless you're part of an organization with scouts at your disposal, that there's now way of evaluating each player, so how can you know how Volpatti would have progressed at the AHL level given the same opportunity that Weise had? Again, comparing their AHL stints is like comparing apples to oranges.

I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Volpatti being a college overager? What does that even mean? Yes, he had his most successful college season as a senior, but being a senior doesn't make you an overager? College isn't junior hockey. You go to college for 4 years, so how does that make him an overager. Not to mention that you said that he had 32 points(which he had as a senior) and then you said that he only had a dozen(actually 13) as an overager, which he had as a junior. So, how can he have both? Do you consider being a junior and a senior as being overaged? Also, Weise didn't exactly have an illustrious junior career in his own respect.

You actually don't think that Weise backed out of a fight with Thornton? Of course he did. Whether he wanted to fight McQuaid or not, he was challenged by Thornton and he embarrassed himself and the team by not doing so. He was supposed to be the Canucks tough guy, Thornton is Boston's tough guy, it's his job to fight him, especially after Weise fought Horton earlier. It's no different than if Thornton had fought Kesler and Weise didn't go after Thornton afterwards. When a teams supposed tough guy fights one of the other teams skill players, the other teams tough guy has to challenge him the first chance he gets. You call getting Thornton to drop his gloves a good move and I consider it a bit of a punk move. And by you calling Thornton occasionally uselful but mostly useless is being quite the homer. Thornton would replace Weise in a second on this team. So, if you call Thornton useless, what does that make Weise?

As for your Horton being a caveman comment. I'm not sure if you're talking about his play or his physical features, which is what I assume. But if you're talking about his play, Horton is 10 times the player that Weise will ever be and if you're talking about their physical features, you might want to take a better look at Weise. With that bent nose, and with a jaw that looks like he could be the son of Jay Leno and a woman on steroids, Weise has a face that only his mother could love. Not too sure that you want to go there in regards to the looks of Dale Weise. The kids jaw kinda looks like Rocky Dennis from that Mask movie from many years ago. It also doesn't help that he's lost pretty much every fight that he's been in, that face of his aint getting any easier to look at. Considering that giant jaw that he has, it's an easy target to hit and could be one of the reasons why he loses almost all of his fights.

#105 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Weise-Manny-Raymond

What an intimidating 4th line.

#106 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:27 AM

Doesn't mean you have to win, a draw is enough for a borderline hit. Just pop em in the mouth and get em off the ice. Most of the players that are abusing our stars are small and lousy fighters anyway. In the case of really dirty damaging hits, like Keith on Daniel, Marchand on Salo, most of our players could beat the crap outta either of them. I see no reason for a fair fight though in those situations, two hand em in the back of the leg and then start throwin.

Still, I'd rather have a better fighter and hitter. Volpatti has more killer instinct in him from what I've seen.

#107 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:30 AM

Also I would like to see both players put on 10 lbs. I think it would make a hell of a difference to their game. (same applies to Pinizzotto and Desbiens )

Volpatti. Could prevent further injury and give him an edge over some of the medium heavies. It would also make him more of a handful in front of the net. Volpatti at 6'-0" and 225 lbs would be a bigger hitter and stronger fighter.

Note. Is Volpatti really 1lb heavier than Kassian?

Weise. He has pushback but I think it is badly hampered by his size. At 6'-2" and 210 lbs he he is not heavy enough to get away with his inferior pugilistic skills.......

We could have a 4th line of

Volpatti - Lapierre - Weise/Desbiens/Pinizzotto

Edited by Bodee, 11 September 2012 - 03:32 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#108 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,452 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

Pinizotto.

This guy was way ahead of both these 2 on the depth chart before his injury. The only reason Volpatti played an NHL game was because of Pinizotto going down, and the main reason Weise played so much was because of Volpatti's injury.

Pinizotto brings less toughness than Volpatti, more than Weise, can probably hit better than either of them but is far more skilled offensively and a much better skater. I'd say he could score around 7 goals, 25 points if given a full season despite playing bottom-6 minutes. This guy is quite underated, even on our team.
Posted Image

#109 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

Still, I'd rather have a better fighter and hitter. Volpatti has more killer instinct in him from what I've seen.

Weise is apparently working on his fighting, so hopefully we see an improvement. He looked really jacked up in the playoffs, i don't think he lacks any work ethic or anything like that.

I don't even remember this Pinizotto character.

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 11 September 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#110 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

Either. Whoever earns the spot.
I'd prefer if Weise earned it. He might have more upside.

I had no idea that was his rookie season.
Or that he is 24. Thought he was older.

Don't rule out Pinozotto.

#111 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

Pinizotto.

This guy was way ahead of both these 2 on the depth chart before his injury. The only reason Volpatti played an NHL game was because of Pinizotto going down, and the main reason Weise played so much was because of Volpatti's injury.

Pinizotto brings less toughness than Volpatti, more than Weise, can probably hit better than either of them but is far more skilled offensively and a much better skater. I'd say he could score around 7 goals, 25 points if given a full season despite playing bottom-6 minutes. This guy is quite underated, even on our team.

Actually, the only reason Oreskovich was playing on the 4th line to start the regular season was because Pinizzotto got injured. AV said this.

Volpatti - Lapierre - Pinizzotto was the original 4th, then with the injury it ended up being Volpatti - Lapierre - Oreskovich.

Then as we all know they peaced Oreo and brought in Weise.

I'm all for seeing a 4th line of Volpatti - Lapierre - Pinizzotto. But in the end it will be a battle for both wings. Lets just hope it's not one of AV's fu*king revolving doors again. So sick of that.

#112 WeGotItNextYear

WeGotItNextYear

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

Volpatti, he can actually punish someone for running our players. Weise will fight for them and lose almost every time. So the next time we play chicago, volpatti for daniel's sake. Other than that, when/if the season starts, lets judge then!

#113 Cimmanon

Cimmanon

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

Pinizotto.

How can you say that the only reason that Volpatti got NHL time was because Pinizzotto was injured. Volpatti was signed as a free agent with the Canucks in March 2010, and during the 2010-2011 season he played 15 games with the Canucks and the remaining games in Winnipeg. Pinizzotto didn't even sign with the Canucks until 3 Jul 11. While Volpatti was playing with the Canucks/Moose Pinizzotto played the whole season (total of 68 games) with the Hershey Bears.

#114 Exarch

Exarch

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Whoever earns it of course, but I hope Weise steps it up enough so that we can have one of those awesome 4th lines that always seems to own us in the playoffs.
Posted Image

#115 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Mine goes like this:

1. Desbiens
A legit light-heavyweight. Fights include Crombeen, M. Kassian, Bissonette, Boll, Stoner and McLeod. Only lost two, one being against M. Kassian who I would give the league heavyweight belt to (13 NHL fights, no losses). Unlike most heavyweights he is actually a pretty good offensive player. In 09-10 he had only 4 less points than Sergei Shirokov in 9 less games played. He has potential to be a Shawn Thornton type player which aren't easy to come by.

2. Pinnizotto
Looked great in training camp last year. He brings more or less the same as Volpatti in terms of hitting and fighting but has more offensive upside.

3. Weise
4. Vopatti
Sig too big.

#116 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

Weise for sure. Better offensively and actually looks like he has an upside to be a third liner if he works hard at it. Volpatti is tougher and meaner but doesn't have the right mindset for the game I don't find.

I'd actually choose Pinnozotto.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.