145 replies to this topic

#1 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

To start off, this probably isn't worth it's own topic but I figured I should grab CDC's half-baked advice.

So I went down to the Seahawks game on Aug 30th, and watched a romping of the Raiders. It was fun until I got pulled over on the way back to Vancouver. I was doing 77 in a 60 mph zone, and as such the ticket was 175 USD. I was given 15 days to pay the ticket, via money order or in person. That time is quickly coming up.

Now here is where the confusion starts: I don't want to pay the ticket, and I'm likely not going to. If I don't pay the ticket, I become a "criminal" in Whatcom County and the ticket claims "You will lose your driver's license... failure to pay may result in a referral of your case to a collection agency". From what I gathered from the officer I was lucky, as anyone 20+mph over the speed limit can be taken straight to jail. Since there was such a big difference between my speed and the speed limit, I will not be contesting the ticket.

I'm wondering can they really do this, does Washington State have a deal with ICBC where if I fail to pay I could lose my license? I'm totally fine with not paying and therefore not being able to go to Whatcom County again - I can live with that. Are they able to contact ICBC and demerit me? Does anyone here have an outstanding ticket somewhere in the states and have neglected to pay?

Any advice is appreciated.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

i'd recommend paying it.. not worth a black mark on your credit
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#3 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

You would have a tough time re-entering the States I'd imagine.

I had a ticket I got in Alberta in June, I didn't pay it because I was saying the same thing is you. Next month my work flew me out here to work for a few months, I couldn't risk driving here with a suspended license so I paid it.

You're best off just paying it, who knows down the road 5 years from now you forget, cross over & get arrested, etc.

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#4 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

I think the problem comes when you re-enter Washington State. It probably acts like an unpaid BC speeding ticket.

Don't take my word on this though.

#5 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

It's going to go to a collection agency and they will catch up with you.

I would just pay it. $175 isn't worth screwing up your credit rating.

Edited by Squirrels.Gone.Wild, 09 September 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#6 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

From the Washington DMV themselves (via TGAM):

http://www.theglobea.../article536203/

I was shopping in the United States and was given a speeding ticket in Washington state. I hold a B.C. driver’s licence and am insured in B.C. Do I have to pay the U.S. ticket? Are there any consequences if I don’t pay? – Tasnim in Surrey, B.C.

Not all Canadians are as successful south of the border as Justin Bieber, or as lucky. Supposedly he’s been stopped by traffic police and let off – three times.

It won’t surprise you that according to Washington State Patrol spokesman Dan Coon, a Canadian driver who receives a speeding ticket in Washington has three options: pay by mail, request a remediation hearing, or head down and contest it through the courts. You may have left your inhibitions at the border, but you still have responsibilities.

But what if you did choose to do nothing?

“We create a record for that driver in our system and add the citation to their record. When it’s reported to us that it’s unpaid, we suspend that individual’s driving privilege here in Washington. If the driver was to return and get pulled over, they would run a status check and find out that individual was driving with a suspended driving privilege, which is essentially equivalent to driving without a licence,” says Washington State Department of Licensing spokesman Brad Benfield.

What happens when you’re caught with a suspended driving privilege may depend on the discretion of the law enforcement officer who pulls you over.

“I can’t talk for our county sheriffs or city police, but the troopers we do give a lot of discretion. If the suspended driver operating the vehicle is travelling with other people they may be allowed to continue on, but that particular individual may no longer drive in Washington state. If travelling alone, that individual may need to have someone come and pick them up, or have their vehicle towed. We will not, however, just leave someone on the side of the road,” says Coon.

You could encounter trouble crossing the border if you’re operating a vehicle and have a suspended driving privilege in the United States.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection “strongly advise you to pay your traffic tickets, particularly moving violations. While unpaid tickets would not subject you to arrest unless a warrant is issued, you may be subject to a more intensive inspection if your record is not clear.”

Even if you don’t plan on heading south again, there are consequences to an unpaid U.S. ticket. “In prior years it was, ‘How are they going to get me?’ but a recent law allows the courts to use collection agencies if you fail to pay your fine. You’ll receive notification that your fine has been submitted to a collection agency, who will recoup the monies,” says Coon.

According to the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), B.C. does not have a reciprocal agreement with Washington for traffic violations, so a cross-border speeding ticket would not affect your driver’s record or insurance in B.C. A criminal driving offence, however, is another matter.

ICBC adds: “When information is received from the U.S. that a driver has been convicted of an offence equivalent to a Canadian Criminal Code driving offence, the offence would be added to the driver’s record in B.C. and the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles would take action against the driver equivalent to the punishment for that offence in B.C.”

It’s a good time to wheel out the old cliché: if you do the crime, you should pay the fine.

If the reasons above haven’t convinced you, take note that the delinquency can also affect your credit record if the collection agency reports it. On top of everything else, it would be a shame if you were refused at the checkout on your next shopping trip.

#7 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

To start off, this probably isn't worth it's own topic but I figured I should grab CDC's half-baked advice.

So I went down to the Seahawks game on Aug 30th, and watched a romping of the Raiders. It was fun until I got pulled over on the way back to Vancouver. I was doing 77 in a 60 mph zone, and as such the ticket was 175 USD. I was given 15 days to pay the ticket, via money order or in person. That time is quickly coming up.

Now here is where the confusion starts: I don't want to pay the ticket, and I'm likely not going to. If I don't pay the ticket, I become a "criminal" in Whatcom County and the ticket claims "You will lose your driver's license... failure to pay may result in a referral of your case to a collection agency". From what I gathered from the officer I was lucky, as anyone 20+mph over the speed limit can be taken straight to jail. Since there was such a big difference between my speed and the speed limit, I will not be contesting the ticket.

I'm wondering can they really do this, does Washington State have a deal with ICBC where if I fail to pay I could lose my license? I'm totally fine with not paying and therefore not being able to go to Whatcom County again - I can live with that. Are they able to contact ICBC and demerit me? Does anyone here have an outstanding ticket somewhere in the states and have neglected to pay?

Any advice is appreciated.

You did the wrong thing and now you have to pay up. You should pay, its only $175 anyways.

Posted Image

#8 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,975 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

I've heard that ICBC finds out about it and can raise your rate if you don't pay?

You did the wrong thing and now you have to pay up. You should pay, its only $175 anyways.

"Only"....hmmm :huh:

Edited by Armada, 09 September 2012 - 06:28 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#9 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

I've heard that ICBC finds out about it and can raise your rate if you don't pay?

It could've been a $750 fine or much worse. He was lucky it wasn't 20mph above the speed limit (just only 17 mph above). Still he should pay the $175 or it could rack up quick if he doesn't pay up.

Edited by Pouria, 09 September 2012 - 06:35 PM.

Posted Image

#10 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Well you've got 2 more strikes left... B)

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#11 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

From the Washington DMV themselves (via TGAM):

http://www.theglobea.../article536203/

I was shopping in the United States and was given a speeding ticket in Washington state. I hold a B.C. driver’s licence and am insured in B.C. Do I have to pay the U.S. ticket? Are there any consequences if I don’t pay? – Tasnim in Surrey, B.C.

Not all Canadians are as successful south of the border as Justin Bieber, or as lucky. Supposedly he’s been stopped by traffic police and let off – three times.

It won’t surprise you that according to Washington State Patrol spokesman Dan Coon, a Canadian driver who receives a speeding ticket in Washington has three options: pay by mail, request a remediation hearing, or head down and contest it through the courts. You may have left your inhibitions at the border, but you still have responsibilities.

But what if you did choose to do nothing?

“We create a record for that driver in our system and add the citation to their record. When it’s reported to us that it’s unpaid, we suspend that individual’s driving privilege here in Washington. If the driver was to return and get pulled over, they would run a status check and find out that individual was driving with a suspended driving privilege, which is essentially equivalent to driving without a licence,” says Washington State Department of Licensing spokesman Brad Benfield.

What happens when you’re caught with a suspended driving privilege may depend on the discretion of the law enforcement officer who pulls you over.

“I can’t talk for our county sheriffs or city police, but the troopers we do give a lot of discretion. If the suspended driver operating the vehicle is travelling with other people they may be allowed to continue on, but that particular individual may no longer drive in Washington state. If travelling alone, that individual may need to have someone come and pick them up, or have their vehicle towed. We will not, however, just leave someone on the side of the road,” says Coon.

You could encounter trouble crossing the border if you’re operating a vehicle and have a suspended driving privilege in the United States.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection “strongly advise you to pay your traffic tickets, particularly moving violations. While unpaid tickets would not subject you to arrest unless a warrant is issued, you may be subject to a more intensive inspection if your record is not clear.”

Even if you don’t plan on heading south again, there are consequences to an unpaid U.S. ticket. “In prior years it was, ‘How are they going to get me?’ but a recent law allows the courts to use collection agencies if you fail to pay your fine. You’ll receive notification that your fine has been submitted to a collection agency, who will recoup the monies,” says Coon.

According to the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), B.C. does not have a reciprocal agreement with Washington for traffic violations, so a cross-border speeding ticket would not affect your driver’s record or insurance in B.C. A criminal driving offence, however, is another matter.

ICBC adds: “When information is received from the U.S. that a driver has been convicted of an offence equivalent to a Canadian Criminal Code driving offence, the offence would be added to the driver’s record in B.C. and the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles would take action against the driver equivalent to the punishment for that offence in B.C.”

It’s a good time to wheel out the old cliché: if you do the crime, you should pay the fine.

If the reasons above haven’t convinced you, take note that the delinquency can also affect your credit record if the collection agency reports it. On top of everything else, it would be a shame if you were refused at the checkout on your next shopping trip.

Thanks for the read. Ya, seems my options are limited. It's what I thought though, that cross border doesn't really affect me here.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#12 CanuckGAME

CanuckGAME

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

I was in California 3 years ago and got pulled over, got 250 in fines,

I just paid it, its not worth it to just skip out and not pay it man. I'm usually the guy who would skip out on it but a few ppl told me some some stories and it WILL catch up to you. Just pay the fine dude

#13 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

This is part of the reason why I ignore Pouria. Hard to consider it a "wrong" for anyone who has actually driven the I-5 77 mph isn't so bad.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#14 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

I was in California 3 years ago and got pulled over, got 250 in fines,

I just paid it, its not worth it to just skip out and not pay it man. I'm usually the guy who would skip out on it but a few ppl told me some some stories and it WILL catch up to you. Just pay the fine dude

Ouch, 250. I probably will end up paying it thanks to all the persuasion and possible credit hit.

Anyone have advice on money orders :)?

2d7ye0p.jpg

#15 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

Ouch, 250. I probably will end up paying it thanks to all the persuasion and possible credit hit.

Anyone have advice on money orders :)?

Get one at any bank. Make sure you know whom to make it out to before hand as they actually print that out on the money order.

#16 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

pay your ticket you delinquent

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#17 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,696 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

Don't pay if you don't plan on driving down there anytime soon. Pay if you do.

If you cross the border and you don't want to pay, then make sure you're a passenger. Or take the bus, fly etc. But if you're going to that trouble, then paying might be worth it anyway.

Yeah collections are a pain and the credit hit might affect you, but chances are if you're considering not paying anyway, you don't give a frack about either issue.

I racked up hundreds in parking tickets during a summer job years ago when i was a student. Didn't pay a dime. They sent out a guy once to my dorm and my roomates said i didn't live there. That's that.

Speeding tickets are a bit different, but if you're hell-bent on not paying a fine, there's not much they can do. Pffft, like they'd throw you in jail...
Posted Image

#18 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

Why are you speeding!? Let alone speeding in a foreign nation?!

#19 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Pretty sure anyone who has ever been behind a car has sped at one point. Unless of course you're in Richmond, where you drive 30 and don't signal.

I-5 is a fast highway, I wasn't exactly zipping by everyone, if anything I still had someone on my tail.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#20 CanuckGAME

CanuckGAME

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

Lol kamaro is prolly a little kid who rides his bike around his cult a sac, everyone speeds.. especially on a road trip. And everyone gets speeding tickets.. granted I've only had 2 in 7 years, but it does happen...

#21 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,696 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

What's done is done. 124kph in an 80kph zone is stupid, but it's not the end of the world.

Likely it was a trap on a 4-6 lane hwy anyway. Man i hate those kinda speed traps and the lazyass cops who run 'em.
Posted Image

#22 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

Lol kamaro is prolly a little kid who rides his bike around his cult a sac,

If you're going to make fun of someone's age, you should probably think about spelling cul-de-sac properly.

everyone speeds.. especially on a road trip. And everyone gets speeding tickets.. granted I've only had 2 in 7 years, but it does happen...

ONLY 2 in 7?

#23 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

This is part of the reason why I ignore Pouria. Hard to consider it a "wrong" for anyone who has actually driven the I-5 77 mph isn't so bad.

Secret confessions: I've gone 95 in a 60 on the I-5.

The stretch is somewhat windy (esp. from here to Seattle - think the stretch between 236 and 252), but it's even more dangerous to be trailing a car who can't go faster than 100kmh on the left lane.

#24 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

Just pay that shizdingle. $175 against never driving in Washington State again (or constantly being worried if you do) isn't worth the hassle of what you could probably make in a day's wage.

#25 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

I have ancient unpaid tickets in California, Arizona and Ontario.

Not expecting any repercussions on any level

read into this what you will.

Edit, Montana makes you (out of state) pay on the spot............. smart

was pulled over in Wisconsin an the trooper just warned me about deer on the road.

Pretty sure he was just being nice rather than a fracker who figured I wasn't gonna pay anyway.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 09 September 2012 - 08:53 PM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#26 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

Wipe your arse with it and call it a day.
Posted Image

#27 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

I have ancient unpaid tickets in California, Arizona and Ontario.

Not expecting any repercussions on any level

read into this what you will.

Edit, Montana makes you (out of state) pay on the spot............. smart

was pulled over in Wisconsin an the trooper just warned me about deer on the road.

Pretty sure he was just being nice rather than a fracker who figured I wasn't gonna pay anyway.

Or he met his quota for the month.

#28 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

Godzilla Deuce you're an idiot, don't make him out to be some gangster cause he was going a little over the speed limit.

#29 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

Godzilla Deuce you're an idiot,

that may be true

don't make him out to be some gangster cause he was going a little over the speed limit.

he should still pay the ticket, which he IS delinquent in paying

#30 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

Don't pay if you don't plan on driving down there anytime soon. Pay if you do.

If you cross the border and you don't want to pay, then make sure you're a passenger. Or take the bus, fly etc. But if you're going to that trouble, then paying might be worth it anyway.

Yeah collections are a pain and the credit hit might affect you, but chances are if you're considering not paying anyway, you don't give a frack about either issue.

I racked up hundreds in parking tickets during a summer job years ago when i was a student. Didn't pay a dime. They sent out a guy once to my dorm and my roomates said i didn't live there. That's that.

Speeding tickets are a bit different, but if you're hell-bent on not paying a fine, there's not much they can do. Pffft, like they'd throw you in jail...

Do not listen to this dude. Your credit rating will be affected and you won't be able to get loans, apply for mortgages and might even be denied buying cars when they check your credit ratings.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.