145 replies to this topic

#61 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,984 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

To be fair, speeding is speeding. Going 51 in a 50 is just as much speeding as going 105 in a 50.

When one decides to get on a soapbox and proclaim how good they are comapred to others, that gets ridiculous. (my 2 cents)

Well it's 'technically' speeding. But you understand what I mean, it's not out-of-control or ridiculously fast.

Rules are rules, sure. But I'm yet to meet a person who has never jaywalked or loitered because it was against the law. If you can drive comfortably and safely 17 mph over what a sign says, that's fine by me. That's reasonable.
Posted Image

#62 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

Do you really want to talk drug trafficking, tax evasion, and speeding in BC? Here are the penalties for each of them:

http://www.ehow.com/...cking-laws.html

In the case of marijuana trafficking, summary convictions lead to jail sentences that do not exceed six months, provided that it is the convict's first offence. A judge may also impose a $1,000 fine for each count of trafficking in controlled substances. A second conviction, however, raises the maximum sentence length to one year and the fine increases to $2,000.

That's it for mary-jane...not even crack or coke.

http://www.taxwiki.ca/ITA+Section+238

Section 238, Income Tax Act:

(1) Every person who has failed to file or make a return as and when required by or under this Act or a regulation or who has failed to comply with subsection 116(3), 127(3.1) or 127(3.2), 147.1(7) or 153(1), any of sections 230 to 232 or a regulation made under subsection 147.1(18) or with an order made under subsection 238(2) is guilty of an offence and, in addition to any penalty otherwise provided, is liable on summary conviction to

(a) a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $25,000; or

(B) both the fine described in paragraph 238(1)(a) and imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months.

Now for our grand finale:

http://www.icbc.com/...fenceswithfines

144(1)© Speed relative to conditions $167

148(1) Excessive speed $368–483

#63 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

Now we're adding DRUG TRAFFICKING to "list of crimes on the same severity as speeding"

Oh boy, this is hi-larious!

Speeding can kill just as many people as drugs, maybe even more. So you are saying speeding, drinking and driving or driving recklessly are okay?

Posted Image

#64 CanuckGAME

CanuckGAME

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

What a joke CDC is, haha everyone is so offended I spelt a word wrong, get a life, and everyone is Dudley do right here. Yep you ALL obey the speed limit, PLEASE....

Back to hfboards I go. The guy asked a question on the reprocussions and everyone's grilling him, grow up.

#65 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

Why do you say that? I hate drivers in Tehran more than drivers here and wouldn't want to be ever driving there. In fact I told you that driving there without getting into an accident is an accomplishment. I like the driving rules in Canada but too bad there are too many stupid people on the road breaking the rules.

It was more of a shot at your contempt for peoples lives.
Posted Image

#66 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

Do you really want to talk drug trafficking, tax evasion, and speeding in BC? Here are the penalties for each of them:

http://www.ehow.com/...cking-laws.html

In the case of marijuana trafficking, summary convictions lead to jail sentences that do not exceed six months, provided that it is the convict's first offence. A judge may also impose a $1,000 fine for each count of trafficking in controlled substances. A second conviction, however, raises the maximum sentence length to one year and the fine increases to $2,000.

That's it for mary-jane...not even crack or coke.

http://www.taxwiki.ca/ITA+Section+238

Section 238, Income Tax Act:

(1) Every person who has failed to file or make a return as and when required by or under this Act or a regulation or who has failed to comply with subsection 116(3), 127(3.1) or 127(3.2), 147.1(7) or 153(1), any of sections 230 to 232 or a regulation made under subsection 147.1(18) or with an order made under subsection 238(2) is guilty of an offence and, in addition to any penalty otherwise provided, is liable on summary conviction to

(a) a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $25,000; or

( B) both the fine described in paragraph 238(1)(a) and imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months.

Now for our grand finale:

http://www.icbc.com/...fenceswithfines

144(1)© Speed relative to conditions $167

148(1) Excessive speed $368–483

Well, if you want to judge a rule based on its punishment, then I guess murdering a couple of people should also fall under the same class of violation as drug importation or sexual harassment.

Posted Image

#67 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

Well, if you want to judge a rule based on its punishment, then I guess murdering a couple of people should also fall under the same class of violation as drug importation or sexual harassment.

False. Look up jail-time for manslaughter, 2nd degree murder, and 1st degree murder, and then see how ridiculous your comparison is yet again.

Hint: they're all in the double-digits for jail time.

#68 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

It was more of a shot at your contempt for peoples lives.

Yeah...thats pretty much it :picard: :picard:

Look man, don't listen to me. You are right, am wrong, are you happy? Am the bad guy, speed all you like. I guess giving advice to people on here about doing the right things is bad. Do what you like and forget whatever I said.

Edited by Pouria, 09 September 2012 - 11:33 PM.

Posted Image

#69 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:36 PM

Speeding can kill just as many people as drugs, maybe even more. So you are saying speeding, drinking and driving or driving recklessly are okay?

False - not from Canada, but the CDC released in 2011 stats on the number of people killed by drugs (misuse, OD, what-have-yous):

http://news.yahoo.co...-170409026.html

TUESDAY, Dec. 20 (HealthDay News) -- More Americans now die from drug overdoses than in car accidents, according to a new government report released Tuesday.

In 2008, poisoning deaths became the number one cause of accidental deaths in the United States and the leading cause of injury death in 30 states, according to the report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ninety percent of these poisonings were linked to drugs, with a surge in deaths from prescription painkiller overdoses reported.

"During the past three decades, the number of drug poisoning deaths has increased sixfold, from about 6,000 deaths in 1980 to over 36,500 in 2008," said report author Margaret Warner, an injury epidemiologist at CDC's National Center for Health Statistics, who added that this trend is only expected to continue.

The authors of the report found a 90 percent increase in poisoning deaths since 1999, while deaths from car accidents have dropped 15 percent in the same period.

Of course, it says car accidents and not speeding, but the numbers remain.

#70 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

I'm afraid... what will us poor speeders do when the tyrannical, self-righteous, authoritarian-types take over?

Yeah, I also feel bad for those poor speeders that get tickets. I guess they had an emergency situation and it was urgent enough for them to speed.

Posted Image

#71 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

False - not from Canada, but the CDC released in 2011 stats on the number of people killed by drugs (misuse, OD, what-have-yous):

http://news.yahoo.co...-170409026.html

TUESDAY, Dec. 20 (HealthDay News) -- More Americans now die from drug overdoses than in car accidents, according to a new government report released Tuesday.

In 2008, poisoning deaths became the number one cause of accidental deaths in the United States and the leading cause of injury death in 30 states, according to the report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ninety percent of these poisonings were linked to drugs, with a surge in deaths from prescription painkiller overdoses reported.

"During the past three decades, the number of drug poisoning deaths has increased sixfold, from about 6,000 deaths in 1980 to over 36,500 in 2008," said report author Margaret Warner, an injury epidemiologist at CDC's National Center for Health Statistics, who added that this trend is only expected to continue.

The authors of the report found a 90 percent increase in poisoning deaths since 1999, while deaths from car accidents have dropped 15 percent in the same period.

Of course, it says car accidents and not speeding, but the numbers remain.

That's a ridiculous number of deaths from drug overdose per year. 36,500....the Vietnam War claimed 55,000 American lives over the course of several years. Another sign to me that drug addiction needs to be treated like a medical problem.

#72 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

Look man, don't listen to me. You are right, am wrong, are you happy? Am the bad guy, speed all you like. I guess giving advice to people on here about doing the right things is bad. Do what you like and forget whatever I said.

To be honest I am more worried about people driving around in rebuilt sportscars than driving over the speed limit.
Posted Image

#73 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

What a joke CDC is, haha everyone is so offended I spelt a word wrong, get a life, and everyone is Dudley do right here. Yep you ALL obey the speed limit, PLEASE....

Back to hfboards I go. The guy asked a question on the reprocussions and everyone's grilling him, grow up.

Yet you are the one here making childish remarks. I guess we should all grow up and use childish remarks when we are in disagreements. Bet they do a lot of that on hfboards too.

Posted Image

#74 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

Yet you are the one here making childish remarks. I guess we should all grow up and use childish remarks when we are in disagreements. Bet they do a lot of that on hfboards too.

Do you expect anything less given the anonymity of the internet? You need to grow thicker skin for your own well-being :)

#75 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

Childish remarks, self-righteous remarks. To me, they both reveal the inner immaturity and insecurity of the poster. Nothing more than schoolyard talk.

#76 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

To be honest I am more worried about people driving around in rebuilt sportscars than driving over the speed limit.

Yeah, those damn rebuilt cars are less safer than the poor speedsters that get caught. Ahh.. I learn something new everyday. I just have to sell my rebuilt car and buy a "non-rebuilt" one, so I could speed 20km/hr and be safe.

Posted Image

#77 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

Childish remarks, self-righteous remarks. To me, they both reveal the inner immaturity and insecurity of the poster. Nothing more than schoolyard talk.

Oh..but Mr. 95 mph is more mature than anyone else here.

Posted Image

#78 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

Do you expect anything less given the anonymity of the internet? You need to grow thicker skin for your own well-being :)

Nahh..am just having fun with the kids on CDC.

Posted Image

#79 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

Perspective is a funny thing.
Posted Image

#80 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

Oh..but Mr. 95 mph is more mature than anyone else here.

I have articulated my arguments in this thread using sources that lead to new facts and truth. How have you contributed to this thread?

#81 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

I have articulated my arguments in this thread using sources that lead to new facts and truth. How have you contributed to this thread?

By giving advice on doing the right thing and paying up fines and not speeding. You know, ethical stuff....

Posted Image

#82 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

By giving advice on doing the right thing and paying up fines and not speeding. You know, ethical stuff....

Do you believe all Canadian law is ethically sound?

#83 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

Lol kamaro is prolly a little kid who rides his bike around his cult a sac, everyone speeds.. especially on a road trip. And everyone gets speeding tickets.. granted I've only had 2 in 7 years, but it does happen...

No I am an adult, who doesn't say "prolly" and I have no speeding tickets, and no accidents. I am also willing to say you are "prolly" one of those idiots who thinks it's cool to drink and drive.

The fact you say "prolly" makes you pathetic.

#84 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

Wow, this thread has exploded, but is wonderfully entertaining.

I will go back to a point made by Common sense, and try not to distort it. That being that every reasonable driver exceeds the speed limit and makes judgement calls on the road that might not reflect static law. I mean I'll go through an intersection on a red, but the book tells me not to - even if I'm turning left and I'm trying to clear the intersection. I will also honk at those going excessively slow - which might even mean the speed limit - this is because they are a danger to other drivers on the road who are going reasonable speeds.

I smiled at this one :). We tried didn't we?

To all those frustrated by Pouria's comments just ignore him. The world as he see's it marks people villainous for using logic.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#85 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

You are an immature buffoon. You tell everyone to grow up, yet you can't even spell, and THERE IS A SPELL CORRECTION ON THIS FORM FFS. YOU'RE grilling everyone because they aren't idiotically proud to break laws like you. You're NOT cool, you're not smart, and you are a child.

To show how dumb you are, you admitted to a crime (speeding) to an account that I easily traced back to find your real name. I am attending UBC. What are you doing? A 9-5 meaningless job, still in high school school perhaps?

#86 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:47 AM

Why are you getting so angry about it. :blink:
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#87 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

Why are you speeding!? Let alone speeding in a foreign nation?!

Kamero this comment is what started the discourse. It's not unreasonable to speed as many people here have confessed and I'm relatively sure you will get a ticket one day - everyone does.

To add perspective for everyone, I was about 20 miles from the border or about 15 minutes at the rate I was going. The car infront of me had just moved over in front of a semi who we both passed moments before. This particular area was windy as another poster commented, so I was partially gaining speed to compensate for wind resistance. I picked it up a bit after the car merged over, in part because I had someone on my tail - a blue Audi. We were going around a bend when I saw the cop pointing at my truck before I even fully rounded the bend. I pulled over once I realized it was me he was pointing to.

Now, the car behind me was going the same speed I was and was probably trying to get me to move over eventually. The cop could have pulled over the car that just merged infront of the semi - he must have been over the speed limit - or he could have pulled over the blue Audi for aggressive tail riding. Regardless I acknowledge my own fault in the matter but given the circumstance I wouldn't have done anything different - especially going the speed limit as being in a box between a semi and an aggressive sports car isn't the best situation to be driving like a granny.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#88 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:54 AM

Do you believe all Canadian law is ethically sound?

He is arguing a real argument, you are asking rhetorical questions and you keep trying to steer the conversation somewhere else.

You do this in every thread. When you don't have an actual counter point, you change the subject, or call someone immature.

#89 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

Kamero this comment is what started the discourse. It's not unreasonable to speed as many people here have confessed and I'm relatively sure you will get a ticket one day - everyone does.

To add perspective for everyone, I was about 20 miles from the border or about 15 minutes at the rate I was going. The car infront of me had just moved over in front of a semi who we both passed moments before. This particular area was windy as another poster commented, so I was partially gaining speed to compensate for wind resistance. I picked it up a bit after the car merged over, in part because I had someone on my tail - a blue Audi. We were going around a bend when I saw the cop pointing at my truck before I even fully rounded the bend. I pulled over once I realized it was me he was pointing to.

Now, the car behind me was going the same speed I was and was probably trying to get me to move over eventually. The cop could have pulled over the car that just merged infront of the semi - he must have been over the speed limit - or he could have pulled over the blue Audi for aggressive tail riding. Regardless I acknowledge my own fault in the matter but given the circumstance I wouldn't have done anything different - especially going the speed limit as being in a box between a semi and an aggressive sports car isn't the best situation to be driving like a granny.

No, it was the idiot who posted that he thought it was cool to speed who started this. You should be glad, the attention of this thread went somewhere else, lol

#90 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

He is arguing a real argument, you are asking rhetorical questions and you keep trying to steer the conversation somewhere else.

You do this in every thread. When you don't have an actual counter point, you change the subject, or call someone immature.

What's the real argument here - one shouldn't speed (I agree with that), or speeding = drug trafficking (try arguing that with a judge)?

I've also debunked every single thing Poruia has tried to throw at me, including assertions that speeding kills as many people as drugs (false), or speeding is on par with other crimes like tax evasion or trafficking (not according to the punishment).

As for your last paragraph, feel free to ignore my posts if you don't like what I'm doing around here. Quite frankly, you're just as guilty of derailing this thread as anyone is.

Oh, and that immature comment...how nice to hear it from a fellow UBC kid. Too bad you're still in school, kid. Say hi to an alumni.

Edited by Common sense, 10 September 2012 - 01:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.